“Pleasant place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Castro Bistro

Castro Bistro
Madach Imre ter 3., Budapest 1075, Hungary (Erzsébetváros)
+36 30 214 6466
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #292 of 1,865 Restaurants in Budapest
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Bistro, Diner, Eastern European
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Erzsébetváros
Description: Castro Bistro is one of the legendary community places in Budapest. During the day it's a nice cosy place serving delicious daily menu - in the evenings it turns into a spontaneous and vibrant party. We have a wide selection of palinka and the short drinks will be measured the old fashioned way, 3 cl and 5 cl. A variety of international homemade dishes is on the menu. The kitchen is open until 11pm, but soups can be ordered until 11:30 pm. The daily menu is available from 12:00 am. We open exhibitions on a monthly basis and our little stage is available for live concerts. We have baby chair and a changing table. Bikers would find a pump and other tools. Bowls are ready to serve our furry friends when they are thirsty.Summertime we open a big sunny terrace. The place is air conditioned. Free Wi-Fi is available for our guests.
London
“Pleasant place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I went to Castro Bistro for a dinner while on a trip to Budapest. I ordered Hungarian harsh browns with sour cream and was pleasantly surprised by it's taste and aesthetics. Very good price and a lovely waiter too! The only thing why I'm not giving them 5 * is that when on the next day we returned for a beer and on our departure I was waiting for my friend, one of the waitresses approached me to give me a menu again, I explained that we've already finished and paid for our order and that I was just waiting for my friend so we could leave, she looked at me and said: "here's a restaurant and not a waiting place!"

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Stockholm, Sweden
“Family lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was there with my lovely family, i use go live in Budapest so i know the place long time ago. I use to eat there with my friends as well. They have a nice menu, which is changing time to time. My sadness point when i realized they took off the chicken with rozmaring dish from menu, i think that was the best. The guys who working there are really nice, they can help you english or hungarian. They quick and helpful. I love the area and the musics. I think if you be at Budapest this is a place what you shouldn't miss. Some times they have live music, and always have an exhibition from young artist.

Budapest, Hungary
“Try my fav.: "Curry rice balls stuffed with cheese on a bed of lettuce, chive yogurt””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

My favourite food in Castro is “Curry rice balls stuffed with cheese on a bed of lettuce, chive yogurt”. Yum-yum!!! I already tried to ask the recipe, but it is a secret one. Too bad 

If you wanna have a nice lunch, or an evening out with friends, I definitely recommend Castro Bistro. The terrace is even better! So go for now, it is summer time!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Reading, United Kingdom
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I came here in 2013 when recommended by a local, it was amazing! The portion sizes, the taste, the beer, and of course the decor. I had the beef stew with cheesy tagliatelle on my last night in budapest & couldn't wait to have it again when I came back this year. The place looks a little different but still the same. The food was good still & the beer even better! It's very cheap & has a great atmosphere. The staff I've encountered have been very happy & enthusiastic, so go give this place a try!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Recommended by our hostel for a good Hungarian meal, we were a bit disappointed. We had the rabbit in red wine sauce and some dish of a meat patty and onions that I can't recall the name of. The place was clearly popular (though a bit hard to find) so maybe we just ordered the wrong things.