“Nice food, good atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bock Bistro

Bock Bistro
Erzsebet krt.43-49., Budapest, Hungary (District VII / Jewish Quarter)
+36 1 321 0340
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #73 of 1,992 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Hungarian
Good for: Local cuisine, Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
“Nice food, good atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Make sure you book a day in advance, because this place is very popular.
Although they have more common menu items as well, Bock Bistro specialize in dishes made of parts of the animal usually not eaten by many - liver, tongue, cheek, neck, feet etc. But they prepare them excellently.
My wife started her dinner with salmon tartare with wasabi cucumber while I ordered beef tartare with grilled goat's cheese. Both dishes were excellent, my tartare was one of the best I have ever eaten (and I ate that a lot while working and staying in Paris for years).
Main courses: Roasted duck breast with cranberry sauce and fried finger noodles, and for me fried goose liver (foie gras) with a quince sauce and toasted brioche. Mine was not the healthiest of choices but tasted very nice, while my partner stated the duck was excellent.
We were stuffed after that, so no dessert.
But check your bill when you get it. I had a bottle of Hungarian Pinot Noir, but was charged the 40 % more expensive alternative on the wine list, while we drank the cheaper one - and realised this only later. You are also separately charged for bread and for butter.
The staff also add 10% service charge to the bill while this is not mentioned on the menu - and without asking.
As to the atmosphere - it is very nice - when we were there they had a Hungarian accordion player entertaining the guests, and at the end of the meal he joined 3 male guests at one of the tables, so we were treated to an alcohol-inebriated chorus of Hungarian songs.

All in all, a memorable evening, but more expensive than expected......

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Budapest, Hungary
“It's easier to be faithful to a great restaurant than it is to a woman.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

In the past year or so, I have visited both Bock restaurants in Budapest on a regular basis. Not only is the place reliable when considering the atmosphere, but the restaurant boasts a large variety of exciting dishes (paprika ice cream = amazing) that are definitely out of the ordinary, especially when compared to Hungarian standards. Speaking about Hungarian standards, the waiters in Bock actually know the food that they are serving, and have always recommended me something that I enjoyed. They are also very polite and friendly. Honestly, if you consider yourself a real foody, don't miss this place.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Food ok, did not like the atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had high expectations of this restaurant based on Tripadvisor reviews and locals recommending it.

The main problem is that this place feels more like a cafe than a restaurant, very small, no tablecloths and what we really did not like was the very bright lights. It is probably a great place for lunch, but for a Friday night with my boyfriend, I like something that has more of a cosy, intimate or romantic atmosphere, which this place did not.

The service was very good and the food was quite nice, some traditional Hungarian dishes, too many pork dishes on the menu.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Malmo, Sweden
“Excellent service and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Fantastic food and wine - both their own "Bock wine" and other we tried. We started with a recommended plat of cold cuts wish included the best goose liver I ever tasted. One in our group of eight had a fish dish as a main course, but I would recommend you to choose from their different meats wish seem to be their main field. The service was fun, professional and gave the evening an extra twist.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Do not miss! Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Had to book this restaurant as the restaurant gets very busy and we can see why! The food was amazing, Michelin star quality! And so cheap compared to London! Myself and my girlfriend both had a 2 course meal with drinks, which worked out about £30! Loved it, would highly recommend!

Visited April 2013