“Hungarian with Flair” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bock Bistro

Bock Bistro
Erzsebet krt.43-49., Budapest, Hungary (Erzsébetváros)
+36 1 321 0340
Neighborhood: Erzsébetváros
Dallas, Texas
“Hungarian with Flair”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

After eating some wonderful Hungarian food in Budapest, Bock Bisztro takes it to another level. I am not sure if it is correct to say it is "elevated" Hungarian, but it is certainly not ordinary. The food displayed attention to detail and execution. For entrees, we had the Chicken Paprika and a slow-braised tender Beef Shoulder (I think) with Pig Ears. With the two sauces that came with our dishes, you could taste the care and effort in their preparation. The cured and smoked Mangalitsa ham appetizer missed the mark for me. Although I certainly respect and appreciate this fatty and ancient breed, I am not sure I would further salt thin slices of cured ham. Perhaps locals prefer more salt than our American palates. If you want to try this noble ham, you might ask them to hold the salt. The chef's Villany Bock Cuvee red was excellent. We were so full dessert for us was the sweet Tokaj Aszu wine. It surely lives up to its acclaim. We bought a reasonably priced bottle of this Tokaj Aszu to take home. They sell all their wines on the restaurant wall at "street" prices.

Bock Bisztro is not expensive given the quality of the food. The convenient outer ring tram stops right in front. By the way, make a reservation. People were walking in and being turned away.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
  • Greek first
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
“Hungarian flavours, wide selection of wines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Located in the top-end hotel Corinthia, it goes without saying that the restaurant is quite expensive. They offer a wide selection of quality Hungarian wines and with Cabernet Franc or Pinot Noir you can't make a mistake. Food options are also great especially if you like Hungarian flavours.
On the negative side, the place is too crowded and noisy for a restaurant and the guy with accordion (harmonica) seemed to play it just randomly, which was annoying most of the time.

Visited January 2013
Anglesey
“Expensive and often booked up but excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Love this place. Such good food and excellent service - waiters that really know the food. It's pricey, even by UK standards, but really good food. I can highly recommend the Ox Cheek.

Visited September 2012
San Francisco, California
“Traditional food in a bright setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at the Corinthia Hotel and Bock Bistro adjoins the property. It is very crowded for dinner but had an open lunch reservation. The service is excellent and the food was exceptional. I dream of the crispy duck leg and the wonderful local red wine.

Visited November 2012
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Marvellous experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

First of all, thanks must be given to our marvellous waiter who was charming, humorous and very apt at choosing our menu. We were served like kings for the price of your standard meal in Vienna.
After describing what kind of wine I preferred, he chose to my taste very well. I didn't even look at the menu, because he told us he had the perfect dish for each of the three of us. My friend was vegetarian and although there was nothing for her on the menu, he assured us he would bring her something suitable. We said surprise us.
We were treated a feast!
All three meals were simply wonderful. For me, the portions were just right and the dishes very well presented. Not to mention the taste!!
Wine, appetiser and main course came to only 22€ per person.
The whole experience was memorable and I would recommend this restaurant to everyone I know.

• Visited January 2013