“Staff not the most helpful!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pomo D'Oro

Pomo D'Oro
9 Arany, Budapest 1051, Hungary (Óbuda-Békásmegyer)
(1) 302 6473
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 1,584 restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Italian
Neighborhood: Óbuda-Békásmegyer
Brighton
“Staff not the most helpful!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We ate in the bistro part as the restaurant was full. I had the burgere which tasted great apart from the fact I had to send it back twice as it was completely raw. That is no exageration it was only seared on the grill and fell apart as soon as I picked it up. They admitted the mistake both times and I eventually got a cooked one which was perfectly pink in the middle. I would not go back as they didn't seem to really care that this had happened. Shame as we were recommended here by the locals.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

87% Recommend
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
England
“Great food and Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Friendly atmosphere and good food. Extensive menu and wine list to choose from. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at the Pomo D'Oro and would happily recommend a visit here whilst you're in Budapest. There were two of us and we had a main meal and a bottle of wine for less than £40. The complimentary breads, oil and balsamic at the start added to the meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dundalk, Ireland
“Ok Italian food. Bit overpriced though.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We ate in a good number of Italian restaurants during our stay in Budapest and we felt this was the least value for money. It is a nicely decorated restaurant. The food however was average and we felt the staff were a bit snobby. For what we got the price was high. There are a lot of other nice Italian restaurants in Budapest that wont leave your wallet as light.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Helsinki, Finland
“Excellent price/quality value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Very good Italian restaurant. Maybe not the best for Fine-Diners but suitable for family-travellers. There was good service, friendly staff and a marvelous menu with lots of options. Extra thanks for the pizzas.

Turin, Italy
“Italian food judged by an Italian guy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I'm not used to go eating in Italian restaurants outside my Country (as you can see from my past reviews), but this time I was suggested twice to go to eat at Pomo D'Oro.

It is a nice restaurant, divided into three main rooms, one of them facing a glass wall with the kitchen just in front of you. Booking is almost compulsory: I was lucky to find a free table on a standard weekday dinner. Menu is very interesting: provided into three languages (magyar, Italian and English), it brings you through a huge choice of food, divided into meat and fish dishes. The 3 big rooms, very noisy, make the atmosphere not very intimate, more for groups than for romantic dinners.

I chose a Minestrone as appetizer, and I received the classic vegetable soup, in pieces: fresh, with a wonderful broth. Sadly, it was too salty for my taste, blocking you to season the meal with the classic Parmigiano cheese (it was a pity).

After, I went for a filet (medium cooked) and some roasted potatoes. Natural, no sauces, just salt and oil. The meat was perfectly cooked, and the potatoes were very very well prepared.
I really enjoyed this plate.

I decided to order a dessert, since they told me all the dessert were hand-made. I chose a Millefoglie (classic pastry with cream inside). I ordered it and after 20 minutes I was still waiting. I realized the waiter did not write my order when I saw the service maître coming and asking me about my order. After 2 minutes the dessert arrived, and it was a wonderful tasting experience, due to a very good cream and the crispy pastry.

A total of 50 € was the final bill, with a glass of red wine (average) and still water.

Vote: an average between 5 stars for filet and dessert, 2 stars for the Minestrone, 3 stars for the service (somehow confused, nobody said I'm sorry for the delay, etc).. Result: between 3 and 4 stars.

I'd give this restaurant another try, anyway, since I'm sure they can do much more better than what they offered me.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere