“simply great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fausto's Osteria

Fausto's Osteria
Dohany utca 5, Budapest 1072, Hungary (Erzsébetváros)
1-269-6806
Neighborhood: Erzsébetváros
st.helens
“simply great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Never expected to find this wonderful restaurant a stone's throw from my hotel. The service, the food and the style of the restaurant was first class and I would recommend to anyone who appreciates fine dining at reasonable prices.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Brilliant food and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Arrived and tried to decide whether to go for Faust's or Osterio. Difficult choice but decided on Osterio just because the menu appealed more. My wife had the Parma ham and buffalo mozzarella which was huge, I had the goose liver pate which was very tasty if a little petit. I had the fish ... missed the fact it wasn't a fillet which I usually prefer ... but was absolutely delicious even though I had to gently prise it off the bone. Drinks were nice and well kept. Service was highly attentive. All round a great eating experience.

Visited July 2014
London, UK
“Fancy restaurant, good food, maybe not for tourists”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I've given this 4 stars, since it is a good restaurant, it's just not one I would return to. It's a pretty fancy place, so if you show up after a long day of sight-seeing you'll be tucked away on a table at the back of the room. And while service was good - they offered to make me a special vegetarian dish not on the menu when I told them I was veggie - it is the kind of place that tries to upsell at every opportunity.

A wide range of wines were available by the bottle, but only one white and one red (admittedly very good ones!) were available by the glass, and the one very small glass of beer on offer didn't much impress my beer-loving dining companion!

The food itself was good - the lovely bread basket and a delicious panna cotta were particularly impressive - and good value if you're used to London prices (not so much if you're used to Budapest prices). So I'd recommend this place if you want an upscale Budapest dining experience (and are wine-lovers!), but it takes itself a little too seriously for it to be the perfect, relaxing end to a long sight-seeing day, at least for my taste.

One last thing - for some reason, the electronic map links to the restaurant weren't accurate. It's actually on Dohany street just opposite the Dohany st synagogue.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Great find in Budapest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We found this listed on Tripadvisor and decided to try it our last night in Budapest. Am I glad we did! Very authentic Italian food, homemade pasta, innovative sauces, and good Italian wines. What more could you ask for--and at reasonable prices. We even got homemade cookies with our after-dinner coffees. This is a must-try if you're in Budapest .

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent meal in Budapest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We didn't expect a lot of great food in Budapest, particularly Italian. Food was great ,service was good . We liked it so much ,we had dinner there twice.

• Visited August 2013