“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Kor

Cafe Kor
Sas utca 17, St. Stephen's Basilica, Budapest 1051, Hungary (Belváros-Lipótváros)
1-311-0053
Neighborhood: Belváros-Lipótváros
Tucson, Arizona
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Highly recommended by Americans - probably because the staff tries to give better service/smiles than in some other places around. A colleague went at night and liked it so much advised that we had lunch together there the next day.
Staff was nice indeed but on at least 2 occasions showed they were not truly listening but just guessing what they expected you to say/wish.
Staff insisted on serving soups first, 2 colleagues said yes, I said no. Soup is 570 HUF and extremely small (not a Hungarian portion). Moreover the potato soup was full of sausages (not mentioned anywhere - imagine for vegetarian people thinking this is a safe choice). Then a friend took the ratatouille (lecsö in hungarian, about 2,300 HUF) - it's supposed to be bells peppers and onions mostly, in some tomato sauce. Again this was full of sausages...
I asked for my duck (about 2,900 HUF) to be served together with their soup because I'm a slow eater. They said yes (always nice and smiling) but I received my duck at the same time they had their main course and way over-cooked (well, they never asked how I wanted it in the first place ...).
At the end I asked for an invoice for myself and their charged everybody on it. I promptly did the math and it didn't work. I asked. "Oh - we added the tip" was the response! Well at that point I asked for the full detailed ticket we should have received in the first place so that we could understand at least how much they decided to charge. I don't like that. You either place on your menu that you will charge 10-12-15% (or that it is included) but funny surprises like that are not a good idea to keep your clientele (they knew we were not tourists). So my colleague still loved it but I will need more convincing.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Hebrew first
Budapest, Hungary
“Great food, friendly service and super ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a dinner at Cafe Kor in the most recent visit. This is a smallish restaurant, so we were pleased they could fit us in (a tip I ignored is that it is good to book!). The menu is extensive, including many specials for starters, mains and deserts and portions are generous. The service was friendly and food was very tasty. I personally enjoy the strawberries and ice-cream for dessert with some caramel sauce. I recommend this restaurant and will come back (again). One tip is that they prefer cash payment, although they may take selected cards now.

Visited January 2014
Budapest, Hungary
“Happy and very satisfied”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Its one of the best restaurant i have ever visited. We had a very good dinner.
The service is super and so is the food. It was our first visit to Budapest and wouldn't be last. I compliment the whole team of coffee kör.

Venice, Italy
“The Locals Come Here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We recently had dinner at Cafe Kor based on a recommendation from our private tour guide who disclosed that Cafe Kor may be the sole remaining authentic, home-cooked eatery in Budapest. The guide did admit that he knows of other guides who direct their customers to Cafe Kor, so hopefully, it won't become a tourist trap.

Indeed, the night we were here, the place was packed, noisy and very busy. Nevertheless, the wait staff and management seemed to keep things under control and moving smoothly. The menu is a mix of Hungarian dishes, plus other "comfort foods" that are sure to satisfy hungry diners. Specials are posted and hung on the wall, with dishes being crossed off as the night progresses.

I started my meal with a mixed house starter that was comprised of cheeses, salads, duck liver pate, potato salad, cucumbers and tomatoes. Nothing fancy, but the flavors were there. I followed this with an entree of Veal Medallions served with roasted potatoes and a sour cream cabbage salad. The veal was perfectly cooked and the portion was generous. My wife started with grilled vegetables followed by Fois Gras accompanied with mashed potatoes and stewed plums.

Our above meal, plus a bottle of Heimann Merlot, totaled 21400 HUF (71 Euros). Reservations are highly recommended and Cafe Kor was seating diners after 10 p.m.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester
“Terrific”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is a small, local restaurant very near St Stephen's church. It was lively, so a reservation is necessary. The menu was creative and the cooking really good. Service was prompt and friendly.

Visited October 2013