“Perfectly fine” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #504 of 1,987 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Hungarian
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: From the beginning, exclusively women worked in the Owl’s Castle Restaurant which created a unique atmosphere. Changing the first but not the latter, we will now work with the youngest professionals of the country to reform the Restaurant. With that young enthusiasm we count on the openness and participation of our guests in the joyful renewal. Now slowly approaching the 100th anniversary, we set our goal and mission similarly high as in the beginning. Our kitchen revives the old and almost forgotten traditions of the past 100 years while taking advantage of recent technological developments and knowledge, adding a pinch of creativity, we proudly present the ever-renewing dishes on our board on the wall. It is part of our mission to use predominantly Hungarian ingredients and to explore undiscovered culinary experiences.
Paris, France
“Perfectly fine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We went to this place the last day of our trip to Budapest. I took a trout and it was amazing. I rarely take this fish and i was pleasantly surprised. The service is good, the prices tend to be a bit high.

• Visited September 2013

• Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
“Charming!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I was walking around the city park hungry, and looking for a decent place to eat, since many terrace were already closed (september), after checking some dusty places that also didn't accept credit crads. Suddenly I saw a restaurant that would probably answer my requirements.
I was surprised by friendliness of the administrator who kindly invited me in the restaurant.
Sometimes later I get to know that this is a very old restaurant, founded by Gündel family (the creators of famous Gündel palacsinta and Gündel cake). They have founded it in 1913 (this year they are 100!), at the same time when the ZOO was opened, as a family restaurant for people who came to visit ZOO.

It is not just another restaurant. There is a family feeling. The stuff is a good team. The meals are probably the best in the city, because they keep the old tradition. It is very Hungarian.

You can see very old tables and chairs, but on other hand, it features the history of the restaurant.

The big surprise was the music. Played by an only musician on a syntesizer, it is amazing.
I am a musician, nd it is truely hard to impress me. But when I heard the pieces of Chopin, Mozart and Bach music, played virtuously but with specific approach, I was very content.
Every guest in restaurant was impressed by those pieces of music.

I want to come back once, and also now I know there is also Gündel pastry shop nearby that I want to visit, and a very imposant Gündel Restaurant for special occasion, which I probably will visit sometime.

The basic experience is unforgettable. If you want to try Hungarian food, it is a right place.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very good Hungarian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch at the Bagolyvar restaurant. Recomendation came from the guide in the Free tour of the city. Food was very good, we ordered the set menu for lunch, which is reasonable price, 3900 HF per person. We had soup as a starter, it was cellary soup, which according to my wife was very tasty. As i do not like cellary, i asked to swap with Goulash soup. The waiter agreed, which was very nice of him. For main coarse we had chicken leg placed on top of a purree mountain. Both were very tasty
For desert we had Golden Golushka, an Hungarian desert topped in vanila souce. Delicious.
All in all, very good price/performane , very good service, fast and polite.
The restaurantn is highly recomended.
We will definitly return

Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“excellent food, questionable service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

we found this place by chance after we had been walking in city park, it is i believe the sister restaurant to gundel and just round the corner, we were there for a sunday lunch and it was busy with family gatherings out on the terrace, which is great by the way, some odd chap on an organ though playing throughout lunch which we could have done without but other than that very nice ambience. I couldnt fault the food, best veal schnitzel ive had in a long time followed by a trip of different strudel which were all excellent, reasonably priced and a good wine list . the problem comes with the service. the maitre D was very helpful and a nice smile, but there is one raven haired frankly rude waitress there , who could take a lesson in customer service, sullen, unhhelpful, unsmiling , monsylabic although she speaks english well . we had to ask 3 times where our cab was. i dont think it had been ordered til the 3rd time i had to physically go back up and ask . we still had a lovely lunch and did not let her dent our enthusuasm for the place as its definitely worth a visit if you have been to the park or the zoo.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Tasty :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

A great opportunity to eat good food in a hospitable and professional place. Our meal was very good and the price was fair. Highly recommended.

Visited July 2013