“Do not leave Budapest with out going here!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Szimpla Kert

Szimpla Kert
Kazinczy utca 14, Budapest 1075, Hungary (District VII / Jewish Quarter)
+36 1 352 4198
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 423 things to do in Budapest
Activities: Drinking
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The oldest ruin pub in Budapest.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Chester, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Do not leave Budapest with out going here!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This place deserves more than 5*! totally unique and has an amazing atmosphere, wasn't ridiculously priced either! we had that much fun we went out of our way to go every night of our trip! there was a great mix of people couples, backpackers, groups, young, old ect! just make sure you try to see allllll of the bar its massive! oh and ladies there is only ONE set of toilets that has proper seats (all the rest are holes in the group which aren't great when you've had a few), its downstairs and the one to the right (they are both next to each other) :)

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England/Hungary
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“I love Szimpla but the bald bar man is so rude!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I'm a regular customer of Szimpla since 2007. The staff are usually so great. However, I went there yesterday and we had the rudest batman ever. He was the bald man at the bar on the left as soon as you come in. He insulted me for attempting to speak hungarian and then when I spoke in English, he didn't understand what I was saying and he said 'it was time I recognised I was in a different country.' Ok - I tried speaking to you in hungarian and you didn't like it and I have a hungarian wife, so don't try telling me that. Hopefully this was a one off!!!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The Original Ruin Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Busy even on a Wed evening and very interesting decor- a genius concept when you consider how much it takes to kit out an average bar- this is anything but average mind you.
Regrettably I think I may have turned up a bit late- by about 20 years...definitely a younger crowd but still a comfortable place for older coupes to pass a few hours reminiscing about lost Youth

Birmingham, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“fun, chilled, good atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

a friend described it as 'the best bar in the world', and it lived up to the hype. It's lively but not so noisy you can't hear each other, the drinks are good and not too expensive and it has a cool, chilled atmosphere, with a mixture of local and international visitors. and if you get hungry, there's a woman who goes around selling carrots!

Prague, Czech Republic
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Fun, funky place with great cocktails”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have been to Budapest many times on both leisure or business trips and never knew this place till now. In summer very funky, cozy and fun just to have a few drinks with friends or colleagues. Definitely recommended!