We had a pleasant stay there, but also some weird experiences.
I chose it, because of its location directly in old town of Budapest. I had to do a bit of research to find out how to get there, because traffic is limited there. On one page in the net, I read that you need a special permittance to enter this area. So I wrote an email to the hotel at 11 pm and got an answer right away. You drive until one of the barriers and press at the ticket machine "hotel", then you give this ticket to the concierge, he makes it valid for you and you can leave old town whenever you like. So we had booked one night, but parked our car in front of the hotel for 2 days, which was very comfy for an extended walk around there on the day of our departure. So much for helpfulness of staff and parking.
The hotel itself is beautiful. Large suites, ours, gold suite, had entry area with kitchenette, followed by sleeping room, living room and bathroom. Very spacious and stylish. There was a complimentary bottle of wine in the room, we got some welcome drinks (2 champagne and a juice for the kid) and in the freezer were already ice cubes.
We were travelling with our little daughter, so we used the kitchen. Either they should provide more pots and pans, only one of each there, or some dish washing tools. We only stayed there for one night, but I guess, if you want to cook more or for e.g. reheating something, it would be helpful to have some sponge and soap.
There was also a big mirror missing, body length, in case you wanna check your outfit. In our case, my wife had to climb a chair to see her dress in the existing mirror.
The hotel info book in the room says, the restaurant closes at 11pm. We celebrated there our anniversary and went to the restaurant at 20:30. The waiter immediately told us they are closing soon and the book is old. He stayed friendly and we still could order, but ten minutes later, we would have been in trouble. So update your books guys. My wife wanted to order the chicken leg, but the waiter recommended not to do so. I asked why, he just meant, don't do it. Instead he suggested the "hortobagy" meat pancakes. From chicken legs to minced beef pancakes, hardly a substitute. Food was good though.
Breakfast next morning was also good. I read the reviews here and don't understand at all some comments. It was quality stuff and a lot to choose. Cooked egg, scrambled egg, if you ask, I guess they make you fried ones too. Sausage, bacon, cheese etc, cereals, yoghurt, lovely pastries and breads and I never ever had some grilled vegetables at a breakfast buffet (for sure fresh and not some leftovers, cause my side dish the previous evening were grilled veggies and that was different). Coffee, tea, juice bar of course as well. So what more to ask?
The stay was as mentioned, a nice one. At home came a bit of a downer. I took a quick look at the room bill and I saw on the invoice bill, that the receptionist billed us some small amount for using the mini bar. Not that this 400 huf/1.5 € make me poor now, but there is a principle involved, its the cheating kinda feeling I don't like.
Of course it's my fault, I should have checked the bill there. But I asked to pay the restaurant bill from the previous evening in cash and I remembered it was some 6000Huf. The receptionist asked me, if we had something from the minibar and I said no. So I don't understand why a minute later, he puts an additional amount on my bill, while I also gave a generous tip (for the waiters, I assume now, they will not see it). I simply trusted this guy in a 5 star house, which was obviously wrong.
Again, the amount is minimal, but a house like that should not release their customers with such a feeling.
- Also Known As:
- St. George Residence In The Buda Castle Hotel Budapest
- St. George Residence In The Buda Castle Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elegant residence with its 26 suites, charming patio, luxury restaurant and cozy cafe is an ideal home for tourists, families, groups, either for short visits or extended stays. St. George Residence combines old time hospitality with a full range of modern services. Timeless elegance, historic ambience and the full comfort of the 21st century in a World Heritage environment. Recommended for those wishing a pleasant accommodation of luxury standard, lavish environs and historic ambience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Splendia, HotelTravel.com, Otel, TripOnline SA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your St. George Residence in the Buda Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.