“A shame on good Hungarian restaurants” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Old Monarchia Hotel

You added Old Monarchia Hotel to your Saves list
Old Monarchia Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Vaci, 79, Budapest 1056, Hungary (Belváros-Lipótváros)   |
Ranked #126 of 169 Budapest B&B and Inns
Cambridge
“A shame on good Hungarian restaurants”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

A cynical tourist rip-off. A very BAD start to my evening in Budapest.
They charged triple for wine and then for bread and then some bogus tax on top.
The bill was more than 3000 F more than it should have been.
If Franz Joseph I stayed here in 1885 then they should be even more ashamed of themselves.
On the basis of this many people would be tempted to write off Budapest and Hungary altogether, which would be a mistake as Hungarians are kind, intelligent and hospitable people.

Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Worcestershire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Had a meal at this resteraunt. The bill when it arrived bore little relation to the menu. The guy who runs this place does a disservice to the rest of the resteraunts on the Vaci Utca who serve good at fair prices. This place doesn't.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

After being warned by our Tour Guide that same day to always look at a menu when ordering drinks and food, we were that giddy that we forgot and as my two sisters, niece and myself had had such a lovely evening and we were heading for a bar we had been to the previous night - The For Sale (which is excellent ), on our way we were pursuaded to go into The Galilei for a drink, we didn't ask for a menu and we ordered two glasses of wine, a rum and coke and a malibu and coke, we nearly died when the bill worked out at £40 for the four drinks.

We obviously kicked up a fuss over this but there reply was "I didn't tell you it was cheap". We felt totally let down and disappointed that people can do this to us but we learnt a valuable lesson that night.

PLEASE BE WARNED

Stayed June 2010
Norwich, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

I was annoyed with myself for falling for the sales patter of the man outside this restaurant. There are signs on the pavement offering a 'tourist menu' for a good price and '50% off Hungarian dishes'. The restaurant and decor itself are fine. It is in a cellar and thus very cosy. When we ate there Gypsy violinists were playing - maybe the music lulled us into a false sense of security!

Food was okay but nothing special. I was unpleasantly surprised to be charged 13500 HUF / £48 for 2 main courses, 1 desert, 1 coffee and 2 smallish glasses of wine.

Within 2 minutes walk there are plenty of other good restaurants. We liked Sercli in Veres Palne - very nice food, pleasant and polite service for reasonable price and 'Pub For Sale' nearly opposite the Market Hall.

From our short visit I would say most restaurants are not out to fleece tourists so don't be put off - check the menu and prices shown outside before you go in.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
south lyon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

While strolling down the street on a recent trip to Budapest, I was suckered into having a drink on the streetside tables. The waiter said a beer was 600 forints or about $3.00. I asked for the larger size which is my fault for not asking the price, but the bill came to $25 for 2 larger beers, I complained to no avail. beware of employees hawking their services! I can't imagine what the hotel would do

Stayed October 2009
Herzogenaurach, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

I live in Budapest. I didn't stay at the hotel, but stopped by the restaurant with my sister for a beer after the guy on the sidewalk told us 600 forints ($3) for a half liter beer. He then asked if we wanted the bigger size and we said yes. The bill was $27 and I got a shrug from the manager when I told him this was wrong. He wouldn't even talk to me.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Old Monarchia Hotel? Share your experiences!