“Unity Hostel. Friendly & helpful staff. Perfect location.” 4 of 5 stars

Unity Hostel
Kiraly utca 60 3rd floor, Budapest H - 1068, Hungary   |
Ranked #138 of 556 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Toronto, Canada
“Unity Hostel. Friendly & helpful staff. Perfect location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed at Unity Hostel for 4 nights last month and had a great time!

The staff was friendly and very helpful, handing me a map and providing directions to some of the sights I wanted to see. They even helped me book a caving excursion which was amazing (and cheap) and got a bunch of us pumped to go to a local spa party at Szcehnyi.

The hostel is located in a perfect location, close to the Octagon and public transit. You can easily walk towards Heroes Square in 15-20 mins and to the Danube in about the same time. It's also close to the ruin pubs which Budapest has become so famous for.

The hostel is located in a residential building which makes you feel very at home. Although you need to be quiet at night to respect other tenants in the building, there is no curfew enforced.

I like that the hostel has a limited number of rooms. I found myself quite liking all the different people there and can easily say, it was the best time I've ever had at a hostel. Our entire room of 8 actually all went out together on more than one night!

Although the breakfast is "all you can eat", it would be nice to have some fruit options added like apples or oranges, instead of just cereal and toast. Only other improvement needed is a much faster Internet connection.

Should I return to Budapest (and I will be soon), I'll be staying once more at Unity Hostel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Six friends and I stayed here on our way home from Romania. We had a morning flight out of Budapest and decided to see the city for a day. The hostel is a little bit hidden (on the 3rd floor of an urban building) but they give very clear directions. It is within a block of tons of great restaurants, shops, clubs, and things to do, and not such a far walk from the phenomenal city center.

The hostel staff was extremely helpful and welcoming; they helped us find banks, restaurants, tours, and other attractions. We had lockers for our valuables and the beds were very clean and comfortable. The atmosphere is great, bathrooms were very clean, common area is fun, quiet hours are enforced (which was very nice for those with an early, trans-Atlantic flight!), and the breakfast was among the best I've ever had at a hostel.

I would love to come back to Budapest, and would love to stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

An excellent hostel worth the value. Has great luck in attracting fun and friendly travelers, likely through their good service and warm atmosphere. When I come back through Budapest I will make sure to stay here.

• Stayed June 2011
Krakow, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

Just signed up for TA so it will be my first review:) I always try to find old style hostels, don't liek these almost hotel size big ones. This place was advertised on a spy map. Not easy to find, they have small sign on street door. Location is exceptional, really the best in town. Staff was just outstanding, Peter and Kristyna (I think the owners) helped me alot so I kept extending my stay, they kept me busy:) I stayed in a big dorm with other nice people. Bathrooms was on a different level, enough shower cabin. Breakfast was all you can eat style, simple food, flakes, jams, fresh bread, etc. My favorite was the roof terrace, unfortunately open only till dark but even until we had great time there. I will come back! Only thing I didn't like there is no common room or area to chat after midnight, we had to go to a place after that time, it was Ok, there are many good cheap pubs close.

Room Tip: Dorm on second level is lovely! No bunks there!!
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

The staff here were incredibly friendly and full of tips for traveling and seeing the city. The location was ideal for sight-seeing - right in the middle of central Pest. The rooms were very comfortable - two friends and I went during tourist off-season (December) and ended up getting a big dorm room mostly to ourselves while still paying the lowest rates. Breakfast and linens are included in the price of rooms, and the balcony and small public kitchen are great perks. The feel of the place is very open, homey and good for making friends with fellow travelers. Also - no curfew, and lockers are available to stow belongings securely. The only downside I can think of is that it is hard to spot at first because there's not really a sign outside, just "Unity Hostel" next to one of the buzzers to the building (it's on the top floor of an apartment building I think).

Room Tip: Go during off-season and get a big dorm room that
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Marghita, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

Stayed at Unity Hostel for two nigths and had a great time! We were received in a very friendly and professional manner by the hostel staff. The hostel was clean, modern and quiet. It has a lovely and relaxed feel to it.
Breakfast is served between 8 and 10 (tea, coffee, toast, jam, cereals, milk etc).
It might not be your cup of tea if you like to party all night long as it should be quiet after 10pm but we really appreciated the calm atmosphere!
Would definitely go back and stay there again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Munich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

My type of hostel. Small, very easy to meet people. We were there just before Christmas. Staff was eager to answer all of our questions. Main market is just a few minutes from the hostel. Receptionist offered some 'mulled wine' absolutely for free which we happily accepted of course:) They have two bathrooms with four shower cabins which seemed enough for everyone. We stayed in a six bedded bunk dorm which has its own batroom, when other bathroom was busy staff asked us to let other people come in and use this shower and as we already knew everyone in the hostel it was not a problem. It felt like to be with a bunch of friends in a cool apartment. Only thing I dissliked about this fantastic place, they completely shut down all common areas after midnight so had to go some close bars to continue chating. By the way bars, don't miss to visit 'kuplung' bar just next door, wicked:)

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)