“Good stay -- good, not great location on Buda side” 4 of 5 stars

Novotel Budapest Danube
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bem Rakpart 33 34, Budapest 1027, Hungary   |
Ranked #47 of 332 hotels in Budapest
UK / ATL
“Good stay -- good, not great location on Buda side”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

I stayed for 3 nights in late Jan 2009.

The hotel has a good -- not great -- location. The great locations are along the river on the Pest side, near the Chain Bridge (Gresham, Sofitel). Period. Any other location can be good, but those are the great locations. This hotel is directly on the river, within walking distance of some sights and near a metro station. So, I say it is a good location.

The hotel is typical Novotel and -- from the interior -- you could be anywhere in Europe. Stylish and modern, with adequate but not large sized rooms.

Good in room audiovisual system with in room movies.

The in room internet was free from the wired port -- I did not try WiFi.

Good mini bar with booze and sodas and chocolate.

I ordered room service twice. I thought it was good. Service was good too.

The rooms are quiet and the shower is good.

In lobby breakfast was included in my room rate, so I had it every morning. It was good. A big selection with juices and coffee. The in lobby breakfast area has an excellent view of the Danube and the Parliament building.

(I have attached photos of a typical room -- Room 203).

The only flaw I experienced was that smoking is allowed in the lobby area -- it is hard to escape if you are in the bar or breakfast area.

So, this is an excellent business hotel. If you are coming for a romantic experience or if location or an in hotel spa / live entertainment is important, try the Meridian near Deak Ter. If you want comfort, good service and a good price, try this hotel.

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business

662 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Aveiro, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

From the outset we both felt we were in for a good experience in this hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly, the restaurant coped really well with the onrush of breakfast diners which was more than adequate. We already had our breakfast included on our trip and the selection had everything from fresh fruit to scrambled eggs and bacon with everything in between to suit every taste. We upgraded and paid the surcharge for the views across the Danube and Parliament Buildings. We were glad we had because it was a wonderful view to go to sleep at night and awaken in the morning. The rooms were well equipped and the chambermaids did an excellent job. The only downside to our stay was very little pressure to the shower which was very "modern and stylish" and if we had it on the wide spray setting the water went outside the shower tray and the sink plug didn't seal properly. The tea and coffee making facilities were very welcome although there was no milk, just coffee mate which doesn't tend to go with tea. The internet connections in the hotel rooms along with the wi-fi throughout the hotel was very useful for us, as was the free internet for use by hotel guests in the lobby. Although we were based in Buda the metro is less than five minutes walk away and took you straight into the centre of Pest quickly and cheaply. There are also plenty of local cafes and restaurants close by with good prices, excellent food and friendly service and everybody we talked to spoke excellent English. Because we were visiting on New Year's Eve, there were only a few evening boat trips so we took one of the boat trips by day which included lunch and could recommend that as an alternative to a night trip. This was definitely a good place to use as a base for visiting Budapest and we would recommend it. If we visit Budapest again we will definitely use The Novotel Danube.

• Liked — The ambience. Friendly staff
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

I stayed in this hotel in november. It was excellent. I had a room with danube view which is unforgetteble. I was alone but for sure I will come back and stay at this hotel once more with my family. The bread in the breakfast was very good and the staff was helpfull an I felt that I am the only guest. The hotel situated just opposite side of the hungarian parlament.
Go and try it.

• Liked — Danube view
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
avignon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

Hello,
We staid in Budapest in the novotel Danube.
This place is amazing; the hotel is brand new, great service, special touch to the guest. We could have a Danube view room, with one of the best view we could expect. At any time of the day the Danube is a show.
We will return to the hotel. To be try!
;-))

• Liked — it is new, trendi and confortable
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

The room in my hotel felt like a sanctuary.
It was large, with a good bathroom. It was very quiet, no noise from outside got in.
The room had a view of the danube and the parliament building.

The service at the restaurant was ok, but the food was great. Also try the vitamin bomb, better than a cup of coffee for a pick me up.

The hotel is very close to the castle complex, I walked there and back.

An excellent stay

Stayed October 2008
Tel Aviv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

I arrived for one night for a business trip.
The staffs were nice and helpful,
The location is very good and in a 150 meter walk you can find the red metro line.
( Battyany station).
The metro in Budapest is very simple to find your way, friendly and efficient (I was never waiting more then 4 minutes to a metro).
I got a room with river view which was very nice and inspiring.
The rooms are very designed on the one hand but very simple and basic on the other hand.
I recommend this hotel very much for business travelers and people who came to enjoy the city and be very close to the entire event.
The hotel is less recommended for romantic couples.
I will definitely come back.

Stayed October 2008
Timisoara, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

We are very happy with the choice we made by booking this hotel. It is absolutely nice, good location,silent, spacious, clean and comfortable. We stayed in a lovely room, with a charming view towards the Danube and the Parlament. Truly 4 stars. It is close to public transportation stations and it's easy to get everywhere from there. It has everything one needs for a relaxing holiday. The pictures talk.
Next time we go to Budapest we will stay at the same hotel.

Stayed August 2008

Been to Novotel Budapest Danube? Share your experiences!