“Fantastic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Boscolo Budapest, Autograph Collection

You added Boscolo Budapest, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Boscolo Budapest, Autograph Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Erzsebet krt. 9 - 11, Budapest 1073, Hungary (Formerly Boscolo New York Palace Hotel) (District VII / Jewish Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Double Rewards Points!
Ranked #22 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband took me to Budapest for our 40th wedding anniversary and we stayed at the Boscolo, this hotel is lovely and clean, the staff are all so polite and helpful and if you have a problem it is no trouble and dealt with straight away. The dining area is like somthing you would see in a palace with paintings and gold ornate figures everywhere, the breakfast was really nice with loads of good choices from continental to scambled eggs, bacon and sauages with fresh fruit etc!! they also have champagne if you fancy some with your breakfast which was nice because we could toast our anniversary in style on the day. The one thing I would say is that in the room they do leave you complimentary tea and coffee, but the tea is earl gray or fruit tea which neither my husband or myself like so it would be a good idea if they left you some breakfast tea in your room and maybe a few more milk cartons as after a hectic day you just want to come back to a nice cup of tea. If every I get the chance I would definately stay there again. I will be 60 next year so if I drop enough hints to my husband you never know he may take me back!!!! One tip if you are staying more than 3 days do get yourself a 72 hour pass as you can use it on all the transport and it is well worth the money as we did loads of sightseeing

Room Tip: The room we had was lovely and to be honest there was no noise
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Boscolo Budapest is a stunning hotel that lives up to its reputation. The building itself is absolutely stunning both inside and out. If you are looking for a unique experience in a city of stuning architecture you can really live it at this hotel. The rooms are spacious, modern and fitted with huge bathrooms with "rain showers" that have the propensity to make you want to stay in there all night!
The New York Palace Bistro on the ground floor is like stepping back in time. It's beautiful gilded walls and frescoed ceilings are out of this world. The downside to this beauty is the price. It appears to be a "destination venue" for other visitors to Budapest so it is quite expensive considering it is the sole eating venue for hotel guests. The satff are not overly fast on their feet either.

The hotel staff are helpful, professional and well mannered and the spa is a great way to unwind.

If this hotel has any downside, it is the vast internal courtyard space that is empty. This could be used to provide a great venue for guests to relax with coffees and newspaper on chaise lounges etc.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate for a second in recommending this hotel. With this hotel, you are in the centre of everything and get to experience a beautiful turn of the century style that epitomises Budapest.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for three nights, mainly because it looked like a wedding cake from the photos. Inside it was equally tasty. The staff were amazing, very friendly and helpful. The New York Cafe is stunning and a great place to have breakfast. We got upgraded to a superior room, I'm not sure why, I have Marriott Rewards membership, so maybe that paid off. The room was huge, lovely firm king size bed and the blackest of black out curtains. My only complaint is that the spa wasn't the most relaxing if spaces. It's quite small (though looks fabulous) and more than a few people gets quite crowded. The hotel is walking distance from the metro, trams and buses. Getting around Budapest is really easy and it's a beautiful city so makes sure you choose a beautiful hotel to stay at!

• Stayed February 2013
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just got back from a 4 night stay at The Boscolo Budapest . Wonderful hotel in every sense. Make sure you experience the Fine Dining restaurant ,we went on two evenings and food and service out of this world on both occasions. Deserves to be given a Michelin star rate. The building is beautiful,our room was a good size and extremely comfortable. On reading another review on trip adviser I took with me a small travel kettle as the person had said this facility was not provided in the room..This information was incorrect. Our room had a kettle with a variety of teas and coffees provided. The spa was a great bonus,we used it for steam room, sauna and relaxing each evening. Only downside was that we tried to book treatments but they were fully booked while we were there. My advice would be to book as soon as you arrive (we left it until the 2nd day !)
Breakfast was excellent,felt very special having champagne every morning. Good choice of food.

Now for the other mention in the title!

We were unfortunate to have been taken in by a scam on our first evening of our holiday .
It was 7.15pm, we were walking along when a smart young man asked if we could tell him where the railway station was as he was having difficulty in reading his hotel map. We have helped many people in the past so nothing unusual. Then another man came up to us,said he was an undercover police officer,showed us his police badge which had his photo on it. He had quite an aggressive manner and said that they were checking on counterfeit notes that had been exchanged on the street,thought we had been exchanging money and demanded to see I d and money. The first man got his I d out and the money from his wallet. The policeman examined these and gave them back to him. He then checked my husbands money and gave it back to him.
He then looked at my money, which was all English notes,we were going to exchange them that evening as rates are much better than at home. He gave it back to me but then said he had to recheck,he was quite aggressive and to be honest I was quite intimidated by him. On handing me my cash back I straight away realised he had kept some ,I immediately shouted at him to give me back my money,my husband grabbed him,shouted for help and he did give me back some of the money before he ran off with my husband chasing him.He had got away with £100 of my money. We cannot believe how stupid we were to be taken in ,so I am writing this to warn other people.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

A grand yet modern hotel, with a lobby that takes your breath away. The service was similarly superb, and this standard continued into the room. We paid £80 per night and for that price it really wouldn't be fair to mark it less than 5 stars.

If I were being pedantic I'd ask why a 5* hotel doesn't have tea and coffee facilities in the room, and why at breakfast there's cereal but no bowls and only plum jam... but at £80 then I'll take those hits!

The location isn't dead centre Budapest, but with such excellent public transport links you can get to the Danube about 10 minutes after leaving your room using the metro stop 100 metres from the hotel.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The hotel is in a beautiful building - however it is a bit incongruous in the surrounding area which isn't that great compared to the likes of the Gresham or Sofitel. Budapest is easy enough to navigate round by foot, tram or metro - and the area next to the hotel has a few ruin pubs close by if you are interested in that - some good restaurants to, you just need to seek them out using the TA recommendations.

Interior of the building is just as beautiful. My room was absolutely enormous, however looked onto a nothing courtyard. Room was clean, very well equipped, everything worked. Bed was enormous and super comfy. Staff are friendly.

I think I read a review below that said the Spa was rubbish, which is not true. It is an interesting labyrinthine design. Sauna - good. Steam room - needs to be hotter. Different showers and plunge pool.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
NewYorkPalaceGM, General Manager at Boscolo Budapest, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Valued Guest 'ArtemisLDN',

Thank you very much for your precious time spent on providing your kind feedback regarding your stay with us.
I'm glad to see that overall you had a nice stay with us and I'm really happy to see that our hotel and staff lived up to your expectations.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back anytime should your plans bring you to Budapest again.

With kind regards,

Kinga ENGELBRECHT - General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife surprised me for my 30th with three nights at the Boscolo. It was magnificent. The hotel is extremely luxurious and the food delicious. Champagne was included with breakfast, which was a real treat, along with the birthday cake found in our room from the hotel. We had a one year old baby with us and the staff were always smiling and accomodating to our every need. The spar was brilliant after sight seeing all day. This is the place to stay if visiting Budapest!

• Stayed February 2013