“Friendly, feel at home hostel” 5 of 5 stars

X Hostel Budapest
Rozsa St 72, Budapest 1064, Hungary   |
Ranked #207 of 508 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly, feel at home hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

The courtyard of the hostel seemed intimidating at first but this is how most hostels in Budapest are situated. The hostel was very clean and had a home feel to it. Being able to take off your shoes at the end of a long day of seeing the city and chilling out in their big common room was very nice. Staff are super friendly and welcoming! Always asking me how my day was and suggesting things to go see and do. They just finished renovating the bathrooms and the hallway which looks really nice! I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Positive note: Cameron was very nice. They refunded my money.

Negative notes: The hostel is a complete dump and I took pictures to prove it. There is a small white piece of paper in front of the door that has the hostel name on it. Once you walk through the door there is an overwhelming mold/mildew smell. A girl greets us at the door and tells us that there are no shoes allowed in the hostel. We asked her why the hallway was cold and she said it's bc they don't heat the hallways. FYI it was -8 Celcious outside. I only know that bc she kept saying that. Then we walk into the common area where they used the kitchen table to do our transactions. We looked around and nothing looked like it did from the website. The website said they had hot showers, laundry services and machines. What the website doesn't tell you is that there is limited amount of hot water(one shower), no laundry services or machines, very limited heating and the other two bathrooms are under renovation. Oh and did I mention that the bathroom ceilings were black from mold infestation? So is the entry and exit of the hostel. Sheets and blanket smelled like moldy and mildew. When I brought up the mold they looked at me like what mold? I don't understand the rating scale on hostel bookers or hostel world. No shoes? That place was disgusting. When she said no shoes I remember thinking seriously? Have you seen this place? I stayed one night and went back to Wombats. I woke up freezing my butt off. The Australian dude next to me wore all his clothes to sleep. I will never go back to this squat house.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
SAINT CLOUD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We showed up about 10 pm and they had rooms. Really nice Australian staff - two guys. Can't say enough good things about them. The hostel was clean. Had lockers. Nice beds and showers. 4 toilets and showers however, one was being renovated. I took early showers so I had hot water but they did state that around check out time, the hot water may run out. The kitchen was nice and the common room was big. The wi-fi worked on my phone but I could never get it to work on my lap top. For one of the days, it was spotty at best. But the first day, it worked fine. The location is good. It is about a 5 minute walk to Oktogon square. The directions from the bus station were very good. Metro 3 to change to M1 Underground at the Deak Square and take to Kodaly Korond stop. It is a short 3 mins walk to 72. Rozsa street. There may be hostels that are really central, but it is pretty central. It is in a quite neighborhood so sleeping was easy. I am sure that you could find a party very easily but if you want to sleep, you can do that as well. Has a nice balance. If the wi-fi was more reliable, I would be excited stay there again. If I owned a hostel, I would hire the two Australian guys to work there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
riga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere is pretty good, but the rooms were so hot, so it was hard to sleep at night. I handed my laundry in to be washed and the next day when I went to check out, no one had done it. They offered to do it that day and I could come back and pick it up. I agreed. Big mistake. Not only was there a bunch on men's underwear in my bag, but at least 4 items were missing from my bag.. Which couldn't be located. Not happy at all.

• Stayed August 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

The staff was excellent, rooms were clean, great price, fun atmosphere and good location! A ten minute walk to the pub crawl start, ten minute walk to the baths and lots of food options in the area. I'd definitely stay here again - we had such a great experience at X hostel. Thanks Cameron!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Wonderful hostel, plenty of fun and new people to meet, really loved the staff and the nights out! Will definitely be back (soon hopefully!) Budapest is an amazing experience, thanks X Hostel for making it even better!

Room Tip: Dorms for socialising
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Grafton, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

OLD building n interiors. Place may be 'opened' last mth but it was formerly operating as Hostel Califonia Budapest so all the furnishings n outfittings are USED n worn out. Peeling paint, leaking showers, chipped furniture, dusty rooms, stained upholstery everywhere. Rooms are dimly lit n common room/ kitchen is EXTREMELY hot n stuffy. The smoking area is the stairwell leading to the hostel so one has to walk through a cloud of smoke to enter. Insuffient hooks in bathroom (ie NO hooks!) n nowhere to place toiletries while in the shower.
Only one power socket for each lower bunk bed so person in upper bunk doesn't have one. No personal reading light either. Only 1 pedestal fan which doesn't cool people sleeping in upper bunk which is awful in summer.
No footwear allowed in the hostel supposedly to keep it 'clean' so I guess they try. Staff organize activities every night so it can be good for single travelers to meet others.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to X Hostel Budapest? Share your experiences!