“Fantastic food and a very different place to eat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Macesz Huszar

Macesz Huszar
Dob u. 26, Budapest, Hungary (District VII / Jewish Quarter)
+36 1 787 6164
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #295 of 1,985 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Hungarian, Israeli
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: We are the Jewish bistro of Budapest with - traditional grandma's recipes - central-european revised dishes - renewed menu three times annually - seasonal chef's offer in every second week - Hungarian wine and spirits
UK
“Fantastic food and a very different place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just had a long week end in Budapest and stumbled across this restaurant on Friday night searching for a place to eat having overslept our 8pm reservation at another restaurant. It was packed and the manager/owner spent sometime telling us he had just opened and that he would be happy to see us the next night and he would book a table. We returned and as a result of a truly fantastic meal, ambience, wine and atmosphere we went back on Sundat night too! The food is Jewish but with a twist. Its not bland or non descript, but with real taste, texture and presentation. The Schnitzel I ordered was the best I have ever eaten and my mother from Austria will not be pleased to here this! We spent upto 3 hours talking,eating and drinking and never once felt like we had to leave despite it being very busy. The bill was also amazing for 2 people after many refills of red wine, £30 ish. A superb restaurant with very friendly, helpful staff who couldn't have made our visit any more special.
The art deco made it a very quirky but romantic venue even though it doesn't set itself out to be. Great lighting, tables and experience. I would go again and again and I am utra fussy about where I eat.

• Visited February 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comment. We are really happy that you enjoyed the time spent here with us. Quality is our top priority, and I am glad that we could meet your expectations. We look forward to welcome you on another occasion in our restaurant!

• Hebrew first
Portland, Maine
“Pretty good, but some things to work on”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were there on a busy Friday night, so the place was a bit noisy. The food was delicious, the servers very friendly. The only negative part was that the hostess was very unfriendly. We made a reservation for five and wanted to add another person to our table -- a table that can sit five, can surely sit six, right? The table was pushed against the window and the hostess made absolutely no effort to accommodate us. (We called ahead to notify the restaurant of the change.) She was very short with us, like she really didn't care whether we ate there or not. I think next time I won't care either.
Also, they didn't inform us at the beginning of the meal that they did not accept credit cards. For a party of 6, it would have been nice to know that.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Budapest
“I have to came back regularly to taste all dishes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This weekend we were at the Macesz Huszár for the second time, and I'm sure that we will return soon! I've already tasted the matzo ball soup and the goose plate, both dishes were amazing! The design of the bistro is lovely, the modern mixes with old style, nice colors, lace clothes, unbelievable porcelain chandelier. The staff is friendly and polite, as I like. I can recommend it to everybody who would like to eat a good one in Budapest!

• Visited January 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your praising words! It is very good to hear that you had a great time with us! I will certainly pass your appreciation to our chef, who will be definitely delighted about it!
I look forward to another occasion, when we can provide you the same quality!

Budapest, Hungary
“Best chulent in my life, very good atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Opened just now, Hungarian Jewish style restaurant (but not kosher) very nice interior a little bit oldies style - as you are going to eat at your grandma. Excellent food and service moderate prices. Excellent chulent - recipe from one of the best Hungarian gastro bloggers - and very good other dishes – especially the soups. I definitely go back.

• Visited December 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I look forward to another occasion, when we can provide you the same quality!