“Not what expected.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #348 of 558 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“Not what expected.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is by far the worst holiday accommodation that I have ever encountered. We stayed in this one bedroom studio apartment for 4 nights. If I had taken my laptop with me I would have booked in at somewhere else after the first night. It was annoying that we were told by the host that check-out was at 10, whereas my booking form stated check-out was by 11. Especially as our outbound flight was quite late. We accepted this as it was getting late and we were tired. At best this was student bedsit accommodation. It bears no resemblemce to the 'catalogue pictures' on the Century website. I cannot say that the apartment was dirty, more bijou and retro. 'Blackadder' might call it shabby! We chose the apartment because we wanted to prepare some of our own food. My wife was very disappointed. It was not quite as bad as the terraced house that I lived in as a young child, before the 'slum clearance' of the fifties here in the UK. There were some signs of renovation, either done in the last 5-10 years or on the cheap. The shower worked but the head had no wall support, so you had to juggle with that and the control and shampoo as you showered. The bed had an extremely thin matress, but it was not uncomfortable. I am not sure if the provision of two small single quilts on a double bed is the norm in Budapest. The TV was of no use as all it displayed was 'weak signal' and 'static'. The video recorder was resting in a small gap of about 6-8 inches between the foot of the bed and the wall. It was just as though it was a letter, falling where it had been dropped. The power for the recorder was relayed by an extension lead dumped in the same area. For me this was a 'health and safety' issue that I would have reported to the local council had we been in the UK.
The kitchen are was very narrow and quite cramped. The worst item here was the double hob that barely fitted on the worktop. One of the control lights was broken so you were never sure whether it was on or off. Paying a few pence at a car boot sale would be too much for this item. It would have been nice to have had 2 wine glasses but there was only 1.
We didnt need any heating as we were enjoying good weather, which was a good thing really as what appeared to be the wall heater seemed to be falling apart. Well things clunked and dropped when I shut the curtains across it.
There were signs of damp in the ceiling and at the foot of the wall of the dining area, where the shower would be on the opposite side and we thought that this might be the cause of some fusty odours. We bought candles to try to disguise this.
If you are single and just want somewhere to crash out after a late night in the local bars then these issues and the price may not put you off. But holiday accomodation it is not!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ieper (Ypres), Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed with friends at the Lovag Utca apartment. Was not as nice as on the pictures, but not bad too. Friendly, young owners. Flat is in a residential, old building, that isn't too appealing, but location is great, on walking distance from the parliament, the Danube, and most of the other sites and nightlife spots. Beds are not that good (thin mattresses).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The appartment is as expected : fully furnished with a nice location. But the most important thing is that the 2 hosts are very nice and will help you during your first minutes in Budapest. Recommanded !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at Potato in December of 2012 due to a short business trip in Budapest. I have to say, it was amazing! it's very well equipped, and right in the heart of central-Budapest. Everything is near by, like Instant Bar, which I spent a great amount of my time and money at. :) Mor and Lili, the hosts were very helpful, and always reachable on the phone, and email. I recommend this place to everybody who likes to be in the center of the city, and likes to feel like you're at home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business