“Do it!!! You won't regret it! ” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #2 of 22 Nature & Parks in Budapest
Certificate of Excellence 2014
12 attraction reviews
“Do it!!! You won't regret it! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

As long as you are in good health and reasonably fit you should do this!
You certainly won't regret it and will feel a sense of achievement afterwards! Expect to laugh a lot and to be amazed by each small hole you get through! We were so glad we did this, it was the highlight of our trip!

Tip: You need to organise and but your own bus tickets. (2 buses there and 2 back) so buy 2x connection tickets at the tourist info or the nearby train station.

• Greek first
  • Hungarian first
4 attraction reviews
“Wow so cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Funny instructor. The kind of adventure you see in the movies and cannot believe your allowed to participate in-- in real life. So impressive so intensive so fun, expect some bruises and tricky challenges ;)

Visited December 2013
Sunnyvale, California
3 attraction reviews
“Not worth the wait”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I read others reviews about this caving experience before visiting and I was really excited to go, but the trip failed to meet my expectations on every level. First, I arrived on time to the meeting point at 3:45, but we did not get on a bus to head to the caves until 4:30 because the guides were dealing with an upset older gentleman who could not participate without a doctors note. Not their fault, but it got worse.

When we got to the cave site, after being literally PACKED onto the city bus, they separated us into 5 groups, because not every group could fit in the changing rooms at one time. They said each group would take about 10 minutes to change into the caving jumpsuit. They were wrong. It took 25-30 minutes. I was in group 5. I waited nearly two hours and finally got into the locker room, only to realize all the lockers were already taken, thus having to cram my stuff into a corner, unprotected. So at 6:45, mind you I've waited three hours already, our group finally enters the cave, only to learn that our guide has only spent 6 months learning English. I learned absolutely nothing about the caves, no matter how simple question I asked. Additionally, due to starting late, we were hustled through every room, and left the caves at 7:45. We were promised about a 2-2.5 hour tour. I only spent an hour in there. Liars.

Overall, even if my experience was not a complete failure, I would not recommend the caves. They really aren't too exciting, there's no cool rock formations or crystals, its just all brown rocks. Whoopdy Doo. If you DO choose to do it, just make sure you are in group 1 and that your guide knows English.

Visited September 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Best Birthday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Incredible! The one thing every visitor to Budapest should do! I went a few days after my birthday as they were fully booked on the actual day... and it was worth the wait! Can't wait to go again soon hopefully! Awesome guides - really know their stuff!

Visited October 2013
London
“Never Again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Dont be put off by the title of my review.

I had an awesome time, on reflection.

I took my fiance here for his 30th birthday as I knew he would enjoy it. We both thought we would be walking around in a cave looking at stalactites and stalagmites. Boy, were we wrong!

Firstly, we were with a group of straight out off college kids. Never a good sign. Putting on the overalls and seeing how grubby they were, told me this was going to be a lot more active that we thought.

Upon entering the cave, you have to climb down a ladder. Being 5 foot tall, Im scared of most things, so here, I was absolutely petrified. I realised it was too late to turn back so just bit my tongue and proceeded, especially after seeing the absolute joy in my partner's face.

You're in there, your'e crawling, sliding, climbing, you have to listen carefully to the guide otherwise if you dont, you'll get stuck in a hole. No ropes, harnesses or carabiners. No such thing as health and safety.

Could not fault any part of it. I'm sorry to my group as I moaned a lot. But as I said, upon reflection, I'm really proud of myself for doing it. I only sort of regret is not bringing my phone/camera with me. I was scared of it getting crushed or broken (and rightly so!)

It cost 5000 forints (around £15) per person which includes the helmet with headlight and overalls. You have to pay for your own travel to and from the cave. The lockers provided did not lock, but everything was there when we got back. There's a cafe on site with beer and food.

It's not for everyone, certainly not for me, but I loved it.

I cant remember the name of our guide, but she was awesome and deserves praise.

Visited November 2013