“Awesome adventure!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Caving under Budapest

Caving under Budapest
162. Szepvolgyi street, Budapest, Hungary (Várkerület)
Website
Singapore, Singapore
23 attraction reviews
“Awesome adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Caving in Budapest was really fun! I happened to chance upon the caving brochure in my hostel, watched a YouTube video on someone caving in budapest and I was sold! And it is 5000huf (approx 17 euros) for 3 hours of fun! We made friends with the other ppl in our group and it was really cool! There were 9 of us to one guide and 3 different groups but we didn't bump into the other groups so not to worry about it being too crowded!

It is 10 degrees in the cave all year round but I only wore a tshirt and leggings below the overall and halfway through the cave I was perspiring so don't wear too many layers! Would be useful to have shoes with good grip and it might get muddy so dont wear expensive shoes! You get to squeeze through tiny holes, climb up slippery parts and slide down and the different parts of the cave had quirky names like library, chapel and a bar.

Visited April 2013

• Greek first
Oslo, Norway
6 attraction reviews
“An underground adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went on the 3-hour tour, and recommend it for everyone who has got an little explorer inside. We have been in a lot of limestone caves in Ukraine and Austria, but this cave tour was complete different. No really big chambers, stalagmites and stalactites, but lots of narrow passages, small holes, different cave levels and rock formations covered with clay. All tour participants (a maximum of eight per guide) got an overall, helmet and light, and then we were ready for the adventure. The guide we had was both professional and playful at the same time, and really made our exploration the perfect one. It is possible to buy food and refreshments at the caving bar after the tour.

London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“3-hr Caving in Palvolgyi Cave - unforgettable highlight of Budapest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This review is for the 2.5-3hr caving tour where it involves, walking, climbing, crawling. It's not the short 1-hr tour. I also reviewed the 1hr tour at Szemlőhegyi cave (check my reviews page). The Szemlohegyi cave was quite enjoyable, but I enjoyed this tour more as it's a lot more fun and unforgettable. Will recommend this tour if you have time to spare (or do both!).

Booked a session for husband and myself. We arrived at the site early - went to level 2 where the guides are, and were told nicely by one of them to wait downstairs for our group to arrive. The meeting point was supposed to be somewhere else where we will take a bus to the cave area but we arranged to meet at the cave directly since we were already in the area in the morning.

We sat around the lovely outdoor area and had time for some snacks from the cafe and took in the scenery while waiting for the group to arrive. Once the group arrived, we were split into smaller groups of about 8 people, and were taken up to the locker room to keep our belongings and change into overalls. Then it's a short walk to the entrance of the cave system.

The actual caving experience was a lot of fun, and an eye opener for us as it was our first caving experience. There will be a lot of climbing, some sliding, crawling, etc. To be honest, I was a little apprehensive as to whether I can survive the caving tour as I do not exercise regularly. The last 5-10 mins were a little tiring as we did a stretch of almost continuous walking/ climbing, but other than that, there will be frequent stops for you to catch your breath throughout the tour so it's actually pretty manageable. If you are in decent health, I think it shouldn't be a problem. Husband and myself are in our early 30s, normal weight range (a little on the high side!), pretty sedentary lifestyle. We only do proper exercises less than 3 times a year, so we're pretty much in 'vegetating' state for most part of the year, and yes, we survived!!! :D

The guide (Lati? - not sure how to spell) is really nice and patient. Our group had 2 females and 5 males and he made the female go first before the males (he will be in front) so he can assist if needed. If you are claustrophobic or scared of the dark, this tour may not be for you. We heard that a girl from the other group bailed out upon entering the cave.

We crawled through a couple of seemingly tight openings you'd never think it was possible and it was quite an adventure for first-timers like myself.

I've a short video taken during the caving. It's not a terribly exciting video, I just uploaded to share how the environment was like. You can find it here: http://youtu.be/Dz2RWZQK5JE

In summary, we had a fabulous time and I highly recommend this caving tour if you are in Budapest. It was easily the highlight of our Budapest weekend.

Tips:
1) You don't need to layer on too much as you will perspire. Just a Tshirt or a long-sleeve top will do.
2) Long-hair individuals - bring a hair tie / rubberband.
3) Bring a new top to change into after the caving. Can also bring small towel / soap as they have a shower room (no one uses it so please email them to ask if you are allowed to use it, I'm not sure if it's only for the staff or open to visitors as well).
4) You may get the occasional sand/ mud stuck in your nails during the caving. They do not have hand soap in the toilets, so if you are a hygiene freak, bring your own hand soap/ hand sanitizer.
5) Bring a compact camera you don't mind dirtying/ damaging. DSLRs definitely not allowed. You have to be prepared to come out with a dusty camera. You will be moving about most of the time, so won't get to use the camera regularly. Can keep the camera at your overall chest pocket.
6) Wear proper shoes with good grip (trekking shoes). Most seem to manage fine with track shoes. They will get a little muddy as some areas are a little wet in the cave, however most areas are dry so not to worry.
7) Might be good to keep some wet wipes/ tissue handy in your pocket but do not litter!
8) Use the washroom in the locker room before caving. The toilet underneath the cave costs 30 euros to use.... just kidding! There're no toilets in the cave! ;P
9) Enjoy a glass of beer at the cafe after the caving. You deserve it!
10) If you are going on your own, board the bus 65 from Kolosy Ter (there are multiple bus stops there, so leave enough time to get there/ find bus stop, wait for buses). There is a good free bus app on iPhone where it lists the stops. Search for 'Budapest Transport' on the app store and it's called BpMenetrend devloped by iMind Kft.

Dublin, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
“Annoying start- great overall experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

We did the intense 3 hour 'climbing-crawling adventure' tour. Definitely one of the more interesting things I've done on a vacation. From what I can tell it is also infinitely better than the 1 hour walking tour of he cave. They do need to make it more obvious on the website how demanding this tour is though. Lots of climbing, crawling, slithering, jumping, sliding, guessing and FUN!! Our guide "Frodo" and his companion were great.

Advice for tourist: bring good shoes with good grip. Buy a one-day public transport ticket in advance. Once in the caves, don't wear more than a t-shirt underneath your overalls because you will be too hot. If you're claustrophobic, are afraid of the dark or are in relatively poor shape: not for you.
Advice for organizers: the meeting point was bus stop no. 206 at 3:45pm. If some people show up late or unprepared (i.e. without bus tickets), that's their fault. Don't make the rest of us waste valuable time waiting for them.

Winnipeg, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“super interesting &informative tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Tour was about 1 hour &the guide was quite knowledgeable about the formations and fluent in English. The guide was really interested in telling us about how the cave formed and discoveries of new areas. It was neat to see this cave &an excellent value for my tourist dollar. Also, easy to get to by transit.