“Excellent Tour” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Regina, Canada
“Excellent Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

For the price I paid and the quality of the tour this deserves 5 stars. the Guides were very friendly and fun to talk with during the whole tour.

Visited August 2011

• Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Dresden, Germany
5 attraction reviews
“Great personalized English-language spelunking tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

We wanted to book a spelunking tour because my husband and I had done one before and the idea interested the other couple with whom we were traveling. We thought it would not happen because the planned English tour did not work with our schedule--it would end at the same time we were supposed to board an overnight train back to Dresden!

But the staff was so accommodating and created a special separate English-language tour for the four of us! Wow! We had so much fun with Orsa and Gabor. Orsa met us at the train station and took us with her on the bus to the caves, as we were a little confused on how to get there (not too hard, but you do need to change buses). She then geared up and geared all of us up in full-length suits with helmets and headlamps, then we hiked across the street to enter the cave!

It was very different from my first caving experience, which was in South Dakota--there were less rules and regulations but the cave was also not as exciting. (We had some folk tell us it is not worth it because the cave is so "boring." There are not a lot of geological oddities like stalagmite or stalactite, but there are fossils and crystals.)

But the fact that they took in to consideration our needs and abilities made the tour totally worth it! Some of our group took a more challenging course while others took a less challenging course after getting a little tired out. There are some tight spaces and the suits sometimes make it hard to squeeze through--I did get stuck at one point until I was able to pull my suit up to release me (though the skinnier folk in our group had no issues).

I really loved this down and dirty tour. It was was a lot of fun and I would recommend it to adventuresome people.

Wear shoes that can be easily cleaned or that you don't mind getting dirty and, for women, it is helpful to have both a hair tie and a bandana to wrap around your head before putting on the helmet. You could also maybe bring a pair of tight-fitting gardening gloves for some extra grip. Our guides had on snug-fitting rubber boots, which were excellent for traction and dirt. My hiking boot treads filled with mud and became a little slippery at times.

If you are someone with claustrophobia, I would not recommend this wild caving tour. Or if you are someone who is averse to some minor risk-taking/getting outside of your comfort zone. Or someone who does not like to be dirty!!

Visited December 2011
La Tour-de-Peilz
5 attraction reviews
“Highlight of our Budapest visit -- a must for adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

I will start by saying that I did not want to go on this cave tour. I had promised my teenage son that we would go see the caves, but once I read the other reviews and saw some of the photos of people who had been caving I had a major anxiety attack. I literally could not sleep with worry, and woke up every morning wondering how I was going to manage this. (I am not making this up) - on the morning of the tour, I woke up, remembered watching the film « 127 hours » and thought to myself - I must remember to pack my swiss army knife in case I get stuck and have to saw a limb off. All to say, that I was quite nervous. However, I also thought to myself – am I never going to do anything adventurous ever again ? So I decided to do it.
We met at the bus stop at the train station. We already had bought a travel ticket for the week (Can recommend this) so we didn't need to buy additional bus tickets.
I was immediately relieved that there was a large group booked in -- all from youth hostels. Apparently the cave tour is very well advertised at the hostels. I was even more relieved when I saw a group of 6 young Japanese tourists in unsuitable footwear - I thought, if these guys can do it, so can I!
The caves were about 30 minutes away. Our geoligist/guide (Salid) was friendly, and we discussed mountains & caves across the world. On arrival we changed to overalls and helmets. For footwear, we had bought our hiking boots, but most people had bought trainers with them which were fine. I had thought to bring my i-phone to take pictures but our guide discouraged this (dusty & dark, he said). So if you have a small, old, camera then I'd advise taking this.
By the time we arrived at the entrance of the caves, I had built this whole experience up in my mind so much that the actual entrance and descent seemed easy. We entered via a man-made tunnel, then descended a 10m iron ladder into the caves-proper. We were in a group of 15 with one guide. The rules were that you checked the person in front and behind of you and passed on any tips to the person behind. The caves had a kind of "necklace" structure. i.e. there would be a tightish spot and then almost immediately you would be out in a more open area. I have to say that I didn't feel at all claustrophobic - to my great surprise. More so, I enjoyed each of the physical challenges. We took our time going round and the guide explained the geology of the caves.
Every so often we would get to a spot where there was a choice between an easy route, and a tight tunnel. Here, you had the freedom to try something more challenging (my 14 year old son with his zero sense of danger, and 14 year old hips did everything and more of course). So, many of the super-tight spots images that you see online were actually optional (to my great relief).
One last tip - we got out of the caves at about 8:30 pm -- I bought along some water and some crackers as my son was quite hungry by then.

So, finally, this was the highlight of our trip to Budapest. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would go again. At 46 years I was by far the oldest in our group (average age 25) and the only « mum » of course. I would recommend it to anyone who is not seriously claustrophobic , who enjoys a physical challenge.

Visited October 2011
Regina, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Absolutely Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We had heard of this caves existence through a series of recommendations and frankly, it was the best part of our entire trip! It was our first caving experience and it was exactly what I had wanted. You have to climb walls, crawl through narrow passages that don't seem big enough, walk a long ledges where one side is a 4 metre drop and the other is just a wall and you get to experience "the true dark".

Visited August 2011
Netanya, Israel
11 attraction reviews
“Great fun, sternuous activity”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

The underground trip took over 2.5 hours, with a great guide (fluent English, fun, and considerate), great sights, and a nice sense of adventure.
The company organizing the tours supplies coveralls, helmets, and headlights; given the cave's high humidity (and the effort crawling up walls and down holes), be ready to sweat a lot!