“Nice Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hungarikum Bistro

Hungarikum Bistro
Steindl Imre Street 13, Budapest 1051, Hungary (District V / Inner City)
+36 30 661 6244
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 1,984 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Traditional Hungarian Restaurant serving old fashioned Hungarian dishes following family's recipes.Open every day:11:30AM-3:00PM (LAST ORDER AT 2:00 PM!)6:00PM-11:00PM (LAST ORDER AT 10:00 PM!) Between 3:00PM-6:00PM is CLOSED! RESERVATION IS REQUIRED!
South Lanarkshire
“Nice Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Just recently back from a 3-night City Break with work colleagues. I had done some research for eating places prior to arriving and had picked out this little place, based on the reviews on TA.
We left this restaurant until our last evening in Budapest and was probably a good case for leaving the best until the end.

On arriving at our Hotel, I asked at the reception about this restaurant, but the gentleman at the desk informed me that he was not familiar with this restaurant and then proceded to offer me some suggestions for others. I had informed him of how highly it was rated on TA and he just laughed. He said that some of the best restaurants around, didn't even make it into the top 30 on TA. I decided to trust my own judgement instead and stick with visiting this restaurant for dinner.

I phoned to book for the Friday night, but we were unable to get a booking for 8-off us. I was able to book a table for Saturday night instead. After a brisk walk on Saturday evening, we finally arrived at the restaurant. I was surprised at how small it was, but it was already full with diners and i suppose it gave it that bit more intimate feeling.

We were shown to our table and drinks were quick in arriving. The service was very good and our waitress was very efficient in making sure that we were well served. I shared the pork for two, with one of my colleagues and it was excellent. Desserts were also very nice and although I was supposed to be watching what I was eating, I couldn't resist having one.

I would certainly have no hesitation in recommending this place to any other traveller to Budapest. I'm sure that if we visited Budapest again, then this restaurant would be on our list of places to eat.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Susan H, Proprietario at Hungarikum Bistro, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Hi There,

Thank you very much to all of you!!!! I'm very happy of your judgment and I guess it's a shame of the Hotel what he said!!!! I'm using TA as well when I'm traveling and I never became disappointed!

See you next time,

• Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
kuala lumpur
“excellent food and ambience and top service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

we had dinner at hungarikum on our last night in budapest end dec. when we arrived by taxi, the owner, susan was at the door to greet us which was really nice. it's like visiting someone's home! she was helpful and friendly, offering us advice on what to order and telling us about her restaurant. the food is very authentic hungarian as the recipes were passed down from grandmother to mother to daughter. i had the set dinner which included a lovely goulash soup and a pork dish and a yummy dessert. there was a musician playing an unusual instrument which made the ambience even cosier and welcoming. we liked this place for its great service, excellent food and wine and the warm and cosy interior. if we are ever in budapest again, we will definitely come back to this restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
Hello,
Well you couldn't write anything nicer then this "It's like visiting someone's home"!

Belfast
“Hungarikum lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Perfect stop on a cold and damp afternoon in Budapest after walking around the parliament area - cosy bright interior, friendly service and a menu of nourishing, traditional hungarian dishes. We both ate crispy duck, onion mashed potatoes and shared a side of cucumber salad - all delicious. We'd hoped to get an evening reservation but it was all booked up - so get in early if you have a particular evening in mind.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much!

Kyiv
“Nice place, enormous portions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We came for lunch to this place after consulting Tripadvisor, and were really happy we did! We ordered a pork dish for two, and when the waiter brought it.... it was for 4 people, not 2! So we took half of the food to our apartment, and in a couple of hours had ourselves a delicious dinner :)
The service was also very nice, the waiters courteous and smiling. Highly recommended!

Visited April 2013
Very nice comment!

Thanks,
Belgium
“Great food, honest price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is apparently a new restaurant, which serves all of the Hungarian classics, in that sense it's a great place to learn to know hungarian cuisine. The staff is very friendly, the food perfect.

• Visited April 2013
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your recension. Yes, you are right. Our restaurant is quiet new. 9 months.

Many thanks,