“Is this one of Budapest’s best kept secrets?” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #681 of 1,864 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Okay Italia Ristorante e Pizzeria, authentic Italian food by Italians. Pastas, Pizzas, Seafood, Desserts, Fine dining. Wide selections of food and wines in a great atmosphere. Suitable for business, couples, families with children, groups. Credit Cards accepted.
London, United Kingdom
“Is this one of Budapest’s best kept secrets?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Hands up, I confess I am now a fan of this establishment, as the title says this is one of Budapest’s best kept secrets. This is actually part of a chain, but the restaurant I am talking about for this revue is the one in the Arena Plaza Mall, on the first floor (second to Americans).

I have had three meals here so far, over three months and happy to report that all three have been excellent. Good customer service, good value and great food having been to Italy, several times you get a bit suspicious of Italian restaurants outside of Italy. But whilst there are regional differences in Italy with their food and I am by no means an expert on Italian foods, Okay Italia strikes a good balance. I know an Italian may beg to differ on that, but I when I was there back in July, an Italian couple were on the table next to me and the chef was fussing about their meal, I am assuming it was a good meal.

If I had one criticism, it would be that the table are a bit on the small size and tightly packed together, but this is after all a restaurant in a shopping mall. I have tried their pizzas, pasta dishes and baked pasta plus breaded veal cutlets. I am happy to report that all meals were fine. My wife mentioned that the pizza reminded her of Da Michele, in Naples, which is a big compliment. The menu offers an extensive range of foods, that somewhat took my wife back, because as anyone who has been to Italy will tell you some of the good restaurants offer a very limited food choice.

This place does get busy, but the staff have always been pleasant and accommodating, what is impressive is that the three times I have been there the food has always arrived at a consistent speed, and is hot, in fact I could say that compared to many places they beat many on speed of service, ordering and receiving your meal. I could happily eat all my meals in Budapest here, but as they say man cannot live on pizza & pasta alone. I have often looked at the deserts on offer but to be honest the meals have always filled me up sufficiently.

So what do I like about Okay Italia, good customer service, consistent food that always arrives speedily once ordered and the icing on the cake are the prices are good value. But also whenever I ask for another drink or look over at the waiting staff they get it and my drink arrives straight away, which has been one of my frustrations in many other places. With all that going for it what else do you need? The only other way you can find better Italian food in Hungary is by walking out of the Arena Plaza, crossing the road to Keleti train station and jumping on the first available train to Italy.

• Visited August 2014

• Hungarian first
“Great food shame about the moody waitress”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Came here a couple of days ago and the evening was great. Came back to a new very moody waitress who clearly knew that the service charge was already added so knew she could be a grumpy as she liked with no come back. Had to go and find her once to get service.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Budapest, Hungary
“Perfect service - with the best waitress Alexa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We spent few hours at the restaurant, the food was really delicious. The other important thing worth mentioning is the always smiling waitress who was very kind and polite. She's name is Alexa, we really appreciate her attention and recommendations. We were really satisfied - special thanks to Alexa.
Cheers
Sophie and Peter

• Visited February 2014
London
“Service Appalling”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Went in with a friend to the Okay Italia Mammut restaurant this evening, as we have done many times earlier but this was the last thanks to the terrible service.

We wanted to go upstairs but was told we couldn't as it was 'fully booked'. The only other option was to sit outside on the walkway which wasn't comfortable so we said thanks, and left. When we left, we saw upstairs and how empty many of the tables were so we went back to the waitress and was given a big speech that seemed mostly a 'story'.

Basically, we weren't allowed to go upstairs for only a coffee, we were told, but said her manager had told her only people who sit to eat a meal were allowed to go upstairs as some of those tables were booked for very soon. We were told instead we should sit at the bar if we wanted a coffee. We explained how another waitress was always polite enough to serve us upstairs and the response? "You were lucky, then".

After an hour spent in another restaurant on not just coffee but food, we walked past Okay Italia again and saw that there were still many tables empty upstairs. So much for 'very soon' booked tables.

As a business model, I can understand one side of the idea. It suggests Okay Italia Mammut perhaps isn't making that much money anymore so the idea would be to allow only higher-paying customers go upstairs in a more comfortable surrounding and spend more money on meals, not just drinks. On the other hand, it would make more sense to allow any customer upstairs and fill those empty seats. If those tables really were booked, it'd make normal business sense to tell the client that, sure, they can go upstairs but mention a time when those tables are reserved for other clients.

Ridiculous business idea, ridiculous customer service and ridiculous if I look around at how there is less foot-traffic in Mammut than some months ago.

Used to actually be quite good but since there was a staff turnover, service dropped noticeably and so did the atmosphere, sadly.

• Visited January 2014
antoniogambadoro, Owner at Okay Italia Mammut, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Customer,

I’m managing this place as an owner and I am really sorry for the negative experience you had a couple of days ago in our restaurant. Our clients and their satisfaction is very important for us. I am afraid there must have been a huge misunderstanding, therefore please let me clarify the situation:

Being a(n Italian) restaurant, our main profile is serving food to our clients. Nevertheless we also welcome guests only for drinks, yet there are some exceptional cases (mostly during peak times or on weekends) when we need to ensure priority for guests wanting to have a meal. In peak times our restaurant can get full within a short time, so in such cases we usually accommodate guests who would like to have only a drink at the bar. This is quite a usual practice in the restaurant business.

We are very glad that we were your restaurant of choice for a drink. Unfortunately you arrived close to peak time, hence our waitress kindly offered you a seat at the bar, or at a table on the walkway.

Being a 2-story property, our restaurant offers a variety of choice in terms of ambience and table sizes for each guest to match their preference. Many of our guests enjoy the more intimate atmosphere upstairs, but equally many prefer sitting downstairs or in the walkway which is more lively, light and airy. Depending on availability of tables we always offer quest the option to chose where they prefer to sit. I can guarantee you that we have no such rule to prohibit people sitting upstairs. Upstairs we typically have larger tables for groups of 4-8 people with a few smaller tables, whereas downstairs we rather have tables for 2 to 4 people.

On this particular occasion close to peak time we were almost full upstairs with a few empty tables which were reserved for other guests. These were the tables which are visible from downstairs so this could have given you the false impression that we have a lot of empty tables upstairs. As you passed by the restaurant later and still saw empty tables, the guests might have already left by that time, and actually some of the reserved tables arrived unfortunately later than were booked for.

We pay a lot of attention in choosing the right staff for our restaurant, the waitress you were talking to is with us for over a year and is really praised by many of our guests, just like the waiter who was working on the same day, working with us since the opening, almost 2 years ago. Even though I had never experienced any negative tones from them in dealing with guests, I sincerely apologize should this have been the case.

I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding, however I find your statement „ridiculous idea, ridiculous customer service” exaggerated and not justified. As I mentioned, this is quite a usual thing in the restaurant business, however I accept that you might not agree with this practice.

We run a customer oriented business and customers are very precious to us. I hope to see you soon again in our restaurant and I hope I’ll have the opportunity to treat you to a coffee or a drink and discuss the misunderstanding with you. Please do not hesitate to call for me if you come again.

As you mentioned in your review you visited our restaurant many times and you were always satisfied with our food and service. Receiving only the negative review about restaurant, dispite of the many positive experiences you had before, is now giving our future customers a partial and unfair idea about our restaurant. I would like to kindly invite you to share your positive reviews as well in order to balance the picture.
Budapest, Hungary
“Authentic Italian restaurant in Budapest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

I have visited this restaurant several times, this is one of the best, if not the best Italian restaurant in Hungary (even though it’s in a shopping center) and i always return if i have the possibility.
They are using quality components from Italia, not Hungarian material named "Italian", which is very important for me. If i go to an Italian restaurant i want that and not a Hungarian restaurant with "Italian style".
The preparation of the foods is stylish, the portions are good.
The menu is very large, containing specialties of all type (pasta, oven foods, fishes, meats etc), if you like gastronomy you will realize that you will spend several minutes to choose the one you would like to eat this time or you will need to ask the help of the stuff. If you are not too sure what to choose, you can ask the waiters or even the owner of the restaurant who are always helpful and happy to explain in details how the food is being prepared and if you are interested even the real history of it.
There are always special foods of the current season.
I’m not sweet-toothed but I never leaving without eating a tiramisu or panna cotta which are excellent, apart of being homemade and prepared according to a traditional family recipe and not from the store.
The service is good; i never had any problems with the food, waiters or bills.
You will note that this is not a fast food restaurant despite of his location in a shopping center; all foods will be prepared when you are ordering there is no put-up frozen food.
Try it and you will see it.

• Visited December 2013