“great location at an affordable price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace

You added Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace to your Saves list
Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Utca Apaczai Csere Janos 7, Budapest 1052, Hungary (District V / Inner City)   |
Special Offer
SUMMER DEALS. BOOK
Ranked #38 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Perth, Australia
“great location at an affordable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

This hotel is really well located for all the major sights. You can pretty much walk everywhere. It's a short block from the river and a 5 minute walk to the main shopping area (and Christmas Markets!). The hotel room was fine - I faced into the inner courtyard which was quiet. Breakfast is not included which is a pity but well worth paying the additional money for - the selection was great.

Room Tip: the inner courtyard is very quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
PETER S, Manager at Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you for choosing Zenit Hotels to stay in Budapest.

Your feedback is truly appreciated.

If sometime you come back to Budapest it will be a pleasure to welcome you again.

Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

This hotel is well situated for all the main sightseeing attractions. Close to restaurants, shopping and the Danube. Modern, well equipped with attention to detail. Breakfast excellent (don't miss the scrambled egg). Quirky restaurant specialising in a fine selection of hams and cheeses along with other more conventional offerings.
Over all, a very nice experience.

Room Tip: The whole hotel is non smoking, so all rooms will be smoke free.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your stay and for your nice words.

I am glad to know that you enjoyed with us.

We will be more than happy to welcome you again in your next visit to Budapest.

Best regards.
Lake District
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

A superb location on a fairly quiet road very close to the centre of Pest. A short walk gets you to the famous Chain Bridge which holds significant historical interest, being the first permanent crossing between Buda and Pest. It also allows one to cross the Danube into Buda in about 15 minutes(on foot).

Less than 5 minutes on foot to the central shopping district of Pest.

The building was originally a bank and the entrance is through glass doors in a large double arch, through which horse and carriage could easily pass.

Inside is a large glass atrium, housing the reception desk and a lounge area.
Off on one side is a conference room, to the other is a bar/coffee bar area.

Beyond the bar is the dining room where buffet style breakfast is offered, with the option of hot food such as sausages, mushrooms and cooked-to-order omelettes. Lunches and one dinner were had here too and the food was great.
A nice atmosphere with a mix of rustic doors, panels and picture frames featuring slightly distressed paintwork to help create the feeling of age, blended with more modern furniture.

Linked to the dining room is the very nice "Divin Porcello" where I ate a couple of times (see separate review)

The staff are superb and speak great English, I did try a little Hungarian, but it's a difficult language. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

Of particular note was the great assistance of Sara, who helped no end with some materials I needed shipping for our conference.

The bedrooms are comfortable and well lit. A safe is provided for valuables and a mini bar is available.
The bathroom had a shower which was great, but a fairly modern sluice/trough style sink/wash basin which I wasn't overly impressed with. No plug!
(A small point and no where near enough to put me off staying again.)

Housekeeping staff were friendly and efficient.

There is free WiFi throughout the hotel.

The purpose of my stay was for a conference/training event.

Here is where I feel the Zenit misses a 5* rating from me.

The internet connection is intermittent. So much so I wouldn't trust video conferencing on my laptop. Sometimes the WiFi signal was great, strong and steady, frequently it dropped out and refused to reconnect for several minutes.

Picking up and sending emails worked if one is patient enough to wait for the WiFi to be working.

At a business customer level, it was frustrating, as a holiday guest, I'd have found it annoying but bearable.

The conference rooms we had were all decorated in a rather dull brown, had no outside views and were difficult to control the temperature (hot and stuffy).
The main room was off the glass atrium/reception. If the doors were shut it was quiet, but with the doors open for fresh air it was very noisy.

We were using the rooms for 3 days and that's a long time without natural light! There is lots of natural light in the reception area, used for coffee breaks, but breaks are a small part of the day.

On the plus side, the provisions during the breaks were great, tea, coffeee juice and very tasty nibbles to "put-you-on" until lunch or dinner.

The other two syndicate rooms were also quite stuffy, but away from the reception area so less noise if the doors were open.

As a conference venue I'd probably look at other options as well as this one.

Overall I was very impressed with the hotel and would most definitely stay here as a tourist if I was in Budapest again, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Go for a room overlooking the courtyard.There is a little noise sometimes from the small road outsid...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
PETER S, Manager at Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you very much for your stay and comment. Your feedback is really appreciated.

It is wonderful to know that you liked us and that you gave us so good score, I am very grateful for your words about our location, the decoration in our restaurant, our beds and about our staff; I will show your comment to both Housekeeping and Reception department, Sara is going to be specially happy with it.

I can not leave apart your impressions about our meeting rooms, I lament that you had such a disappointing experience during the conference you assisted to. Regarding the Wi-Fi, I must to say that sometimes we are detecting some weak points during certain times in the day that make more difficult the connection if a video-conference is needed as example. This is the reason why we are in conversations with our internet providers to help us to improve this issue as soon as possible.

It is true that we have only one meeting room with natural daylight, the one you mention in the lobby; due to we are in a historical building we could not settle the distribution in a better way to have all our conference rooms with the same conditions, I really regret this because I understand how important it is. What it should not happen is to have a problem with the ventilation because we have independent air-condition in the meeting room of the lobby, I am afraid that it would be a misunderstanding with the setting up.

As urgent issues after your review, are going to be my personal tasks driving the following controls:

- Internet connection in the whole building
- Ventilation and airing conditions in the meeting rooms
- Air condition set up standards for conferences

With all, thank you very much for your comment, and also for recommend us.

For your next stay, maybe only for leisure, I hope to show you the improvements in the points you mention in your review.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again.

Yours faithfully.
Ile de Madère
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

... staying at ZENIT hotel and we had the most pleasant stay ! The hotel is superbly located, at a few meters of Vaci Utca, in a quite zone. The facilities are very modern and functional. The service is PERFECT, the breakfast EXCELLENT (try the Chief omelet) and the decoration of the place is very trendy and original. People at reception and in all the hotel in general are VERY friendly and helpful. Certainly a place where we shall go back !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
PETER S, Manager at Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your stay.

I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again next time you come to Budapest.

Best wishes.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We spent one night at Hotel Zenit and felt fortunate that we had another hotel lined up for the remainder of our 5 days in Budapest.
The room is rather small, which is usually fine for us. But in this case, with the layout of the furniture in the room, it felt a little too cramped. For example, there was a desk in the room with a chair. But the chair had arms on it that prevented it from being able to tuck underneath the desk, thus taking up another foot or two of floor space. And the closet wasn't deep enough to allow the clothes hangers to hang properly inside. When you closed the closet door, it hit the hangers and knocked them sideways. The bathroom also had the towel bar in an odd place, practically right on the toilet.
The walls between rooms seemed pretty thin. We could hear the people in the next room returning to their room and could hear them talking. Luckily they didn't stay up too long. Although the lobby is nice looking, the carpeting is rather worn out, especially in front of the elevator. The reception staff, however, all seemed very friendly and helpful.
The location of the hotel is great. You're just a couple of steps away from the Danube with a great view of the Chain Bridge, especially when it's lit up at night. Vorosmarty Square and Vaci Street, with all of its shops and restaurants, is just a couple of minutes away.
I think that the Hotel Zenit is fine for a night or two, but I probably would not suggest it for a visit any longer than that.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
PETER S, Manager at Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you very much for your stay with us.

Your comment is truly appreciated, I am grateful for your kind words about our staff, lobby and location.

I deeply regret that you felt uncomfortable in the room.

The review you wrote about the furniture makes me think about a possible change. The chairs were chosen that style trying to be comfortable and let the guests rest their arms while seated. But it is true that a change would make possible to gain more space in the room if the chair would be adapted to be placed inside of the desk.

Due to the hotel is housed in a restored historical building we have several restrictions in the layout of the rooms, this is the reason why in some wardrobes the space is more limited; but we have special hangers to avoid this handicap, we are going to check the situation of all of them to avoid a possible mistake in their placement.

Your impression about the carpet is totally true, we also realised about it, from 2 days ago, we have new carpet floor in the elevators.

Thanks to yours and more guests opinions we are able to improve day by day. I am very grateful to be able to read your impressions.

I really hope to have other chance to show you how your comment affects and how our offer is adapted according the feedback you gave. It will be a pleasure to welcome you again.

My best regards.
Riverview, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This 4 star is directly behind the Marriott about 50 meters from the river. Just around the corner is the pedestrian shopping area with lots of shops , restaurants and outdoor Cafes. Walk to the Chain Bridge, cross it and take the funicular to the castle/palace. Walk to the huge indoor market one way and the Parliment the other. Friendly, helpfull staff, good English. Rooms here are fairly small but clean and minimalist like in furnishing. Beds are confortable and you can get a pillow change if not confortable. Some rooms have only a shower , we asked to be changet to a tub room and they had one available, the room was also larger. We faced a wall about 15 ft out our room so no view. This is a fairley new hotel but the rooms are not soundproofed, you will hear most noises but it is manageable. Generous amenities and great towels. Restaurant in hotel but also a Ham Speciality Bar you have got to try. Out front door is a small bakery that is cheap and excellant for quick breakfasts, as well a very good McDonalds/ McCafe just around the corner for breakfasts, etc. The Hotel location is the Best!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
PETER S, Manager at Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I would like to ask for your kind help and have more information about your room in order to investigate the reason of the noises you heard. From our opening 1 year and a half ago we are working hard to improve our facilities. Feel free to write me an email with more details about your stay, as example dates and name: managerbudapest@zenithotels.com

I am very grateful for your kind words and I hope you count on us when come back to stay in Budapest.

Yours faithfully.
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were to Norwegian couples, staying for three nights, in this attractive hotel. Lying in the middle of many attractions and easily accessible public transport. Short distances to Shopping, Subway, Trams and The River. The reception were extremely kind, service minded and helpt us with booking restaurants, hints for spectacular places to eat, and booking a visit to the Szèchenyi-bath. The room were of high quality, we had rooms towards the side-road, not too noisy in the morning. We had a pleasant and good Hungarian dinner at the Hotel Restaurant, and enjoyed the night cup in this bar, including a nice and "present" staff.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the side-street is probably most calm
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest:

Thank you for your kind comment, I am really happing to know that you were satisfied with our service and facilities.

I will personally congratulate all the staff in your name.

For your next trip to the city do not hesitate to count on us.

Best wishes.