“This tour opens your eyes on what's really alternative in Budapest!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alternative Budapest

and up
Ranked #35 of 290 Activities in Budapest
Type: Walking tours, Sightseeing Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Alternative Budapest was set up to show visitors not the usual sights, monuments and historical landmarks that other tours show you, but to take you deeper, further and more underground, unfolding the vibe, the scene and showing you the other side of city. Our tours aren't about the past, they're about what's happening now.Tours take place every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 3pm and meet at Deak Ferenc Ter, in front of the church steps.
Rome, Italy
“This tour opens your eyes on what's really alternative in Budapest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This brilliant tour takes you away from the usual tourist trail and shows you how fascinating and interesting the alternative part of Budapest is. We had a really good tour guide, Lauren, who knows the city very well and has an incredible knowledge about the history and the subculters of Budapest. She showed us some great places that most tourist never get to know, including a cool shop with handmade shoes from siberia, a little shop with all sorts of handmade-recycled jewellery, bags and silkscreen prints and a skater bar with a photography exhibition in it. After we had a break in one of the famous ruinpubs where we had a beer and we finished on a party-boat, during the sound check of a band that played later that night!
Anyway...I don't want to spoil the surprise, there's much more to see on this tour, so just join it and discover the really interesting part of Budapest with Lauren!

Los Angeles
6 attraction reviews
“so glad I did this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I joined a group of six, and was guided by Lauren. I was delighted to see a part of Budapest I would never have found on my own. Lauren is knowledgeable, energetic and clearly passionate about street art. The next day when I returned on my own to some of her fave places, I found myself looking at graffiti, stencils, stickers and murals with a whole new appreciation. I particularly loved the introduction to shops sponsoring up-and-coming local artists-especially Printa! Thank you, Lauren.

Budapest, Hungary
“Dont leave Budapest without taking this tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

After living in Budapest for 10 months, and thinking myself to be very familiar with the local cultural scene, I was beyond impressed to discover more than I had ever known existed in this beautiful city thanks to Lauren's incredible alternative tour! We got to explore and learn about Budapest street art, galleries, the coolest ruin bars and cafes, and go backstage at the number 1 voted bar in the world according to Lonely Planet, A38 (which is an old Ukrainian cargo ship from the 50s). Lauren's passion and love for this city is quite apparent, and after her tour you feel like you truly belong and will never want to leave Budapest. Do the tourist route, then do the alternative tour. You will leave here more enriched and appreciative of everything this city has to offer.

Visited October 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Brent_Oz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was really impressed by this tour. We got to see the 7th district in a completely different way to how you normally do. We stopped and looked at street art that I otherwise would have walked straight past without noticing. The guide, Lauren, knew who all the artwork was done by and had examples of their work in other cities. We saw somw cool galleries and even got to stop for a beer at Szimpla! A highlight was definitely at the end of the tour when we got to go backstage at the A38, definitely one of the coolest rooms I've ever seen! I highly recommend doing this tour while in Budapest.

albany, ny
11 attraction reviews
“A Welcome Respite From Tour-Book Tedium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I am not a guided tour-type tourist, but thanks to Lauren's own passion for the local cultural scene, ruin bars, cafes and artisan shops housed within the narrow streets of Erzebetvaros, District VII (Elizabeth Town) Budapest's Jewish quarter, this walking tour works hard to dismiss the traditional image of a guided tour. Lauren has her finger on the pulse of hipster Budapest and is passionate about sharing her own discoveries. While witnessing and learning about the city's active street artists you'll receive insights about this neighborhood's history and increasing gentrification. You'll meet local cafe, shop and gallery owners and socialize with the small group of fellow tourists (yikes, did I say tourist?) over a Dreher in one of the ruin pubs. The tour helps the city unfold in interesting ways that brought us back to this neighborhood on subsequent evenings for coffee, meals and nightlife. If this is one of the first things you do on your Budapest visit it will make the rest of your stay richer and more enjoyable...guaranteed. A sure respite from tour book tedium.

Visited October 2012