“Good value for money” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blathy Otto St 22, Budapest 1089, Hungary   |
Ranked #209 of 332 hotels in Budapest
“Good value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at hotel Gloria with a friend. We wanted a city break and decided on Budapest. We are two girls in our early twenties, the hotel experience was chaotic from the start. We arrived quite late at night our room had two single beds and although it was dated seemed clean enough, although some lights didn't work and the other lighting was poor. We also found that they rarely put the heating on, take warm pyjamas the duvets are not thick and we were cold at night, at times we found it difficult to get a hot shower as well. The pillows were pretty much useless! None of this concerned me as much as the security though, the rooms are accessed by key cards some other guests told us that they were able to lock the door from the inside, but our room could be opened by the key card at any time. It had no chain like other hotels do. The staff are very friendly with one exception, where this member of staff was to say the least over friendly My friend and I felt very uncomfortable at times. We actually would dread walking through reception, one night in particular the receptionist rang and rang our room until we answered then tried to invite himself into our room! This made us feel quite vulnerable considering that we had no way of locking our room from the inside.
The breakfast which was included in the stay was ok most of the time. Until our last day they had ran out of juice, one boiled egg was left and basically unless you were happy eating bread and onions for breakfast you'd go hungry!
The hotel was located near a metro station which was ideal but not when dark, some of the surrounding streets made us feel uneasy in the dark.
This hotel is ok, but I wouldn't recommend two girls stay on their own like we did!

• Stayed November 2012

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This hotel is very shabby. It needs a major overhaul. I would not recommend it to anyone. Also it was cold when I was there 0ct. 28-31. The heating was not on and the radiators cold. I paid for 6 nights but left after 3 even though it cost me to get another hotel. The carpets had stains. There leak marks on the ceiling. The furniture was in a bad state. The bathroom was not cleaned properly. Frankly I would be embarressed to show any guest the room we had.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
yorks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Hotel is very dated with old furniture (althoughin good order) in the rooms and is in need of a lick of paint,bathrooms also need an uplift, however there is a very nice dining room where staff are constantly replenishing food drinks etc, staff cannot be faulted.we were allowed to keep our room for 3 hours after checkout time at no extra cost. A 5 minute walk gets you to the metro where you can get to the city in around 5 mins.a walk of 5 mins will get you to a couple of local bars that are obviously for locals but you will get a gin& tonic for less than a pound all in all we paid 32 pounds for 3 nights b&b so could not complain.hotel advertises a bar but it is a fridge behind reception

• Stayed October 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

If I look for a hotel my consideration is what I need. Do I need luxurious or cheep accommodation, wellness or business, familiar or for party time.
This hotel has won in the price-service-rate. It wasn't luxurious, there were no swimming pool and there was no live music every evening. But what I got was more than I expected or what this category requires.
What was absolutely good:
Area, cordiality, very near to the city, price-service-ratio, bed, breakfast.
What could be improved:
Lift speed, condition of the room.
I advise this hotel to everyone who needs a simple, calm but near-to-city small hotel with friendly staff and fair prices.
Thanks

Room Tip: Tell them that you are traveling with a very important person. :)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

from reading some of the reviews i feared the worst....when we got there i was soon at ease and was more than happy to stay. The room was clean (alot cleaner than some of my mates houses) breakfast was good enough and it was conveniently placed to get into the city..The staff were really friendly and helpful.

we'd more than happily stay here again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
East London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Here is my story and review. I originally booked in for 3 nights at another hotel but being a single traveler you will always be at the mercy of the hotels and I was only allowed to stay 2 nights because the Hungarian Grand Prix was on, I had to book another hotel in desperation (hostels did not have any single rooms) and I found Hotel Gloria on the internet. I did read the negative reviews and so I was prepared and since it was for one night I took the chance.

The staff are beyond helpful and friendly (unlike the hotel that screwed up my booking)! The breakfast was actually the best I experienced on my entire Euro trip for 10 days!! Maybe because I am a guy I rate food pretty high on my list. The room did look dated but there was nothing wrong for the price! Even in my country you will not get ANYTHING below 60eur unless you are willing to sleep with cockroaches! The bed was comfortable and clean, the bathroom was alright but met all of my requirements. There was no issue with dust and general cleanliness as experienced by other travellers.

The hotel is about 10 min away from Nagyvarad Metro which is not bad considering the other hotel was 20-30min by bus only! I would definately consider staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Wadowice, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Well, I spent few good nights there. I didn't expext a luxurious condiditions as I had paid really little.
Advantages of the hotel are:
a) less than 10 minutes to the international bus station and the nearest metro station
b) air-conditioners in rooms, as well as TV (but only BBC in English, one channel with jazz and classical music, the rest in Hungarian...)
c) daily cleaning
d) simple but good breakfasts in a nice restaurant (however it is closed during the rest of the day)
e) low price
f) really nice and helpful workers (greetings for a charming blonde lady!) who can tell you where to go to buy or eat something, what to visit, etc. They know English quite well,
g) a free safety box at the reception

Disavantages that you have to be prepared for:
a) there might be unpleasant guests in your room (in my case it was a spider in the bathroom which scared my girlfriend, although I found if quite vulnerable and funny)
b) during storms the upper parts of walls may become wet
c) the road from the metro station to the hotel might be a bit dangerous at night (the area isn't the best one in Budapest) although during the day streets are quite peaceful and nice
d) a fridge may not work
e) you can buy some alcohol in the reception but it's a bit too expensive in my opinion

Generally if you aren't like 'The Princess on the Pea' you can spend quite comfortable nights in this hotel without paying a lot of money. I'd definitely go back there in spite of some inconvenience.
PS: Be prepared for strange sockets - not every plug matches but I think it's something typical in Hungary. Maybe somebody from the staff will read it and buy some conncetors to be given to guests for the time of their stay...
To sump up - the hotel is a great exampe of 'value for money'.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Gloria? Share your experiences!