“Wish we were still there.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Abel Pension
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Abel Jeno Street 9, Budapest 1113, Hungary   |
Ranked #21 of 160 Budapest B&B and Inns
Mullica Hill, NJ
“Wish we were still there.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

The staff, the stay, the standards, and the setting at Abel Panzio made our trip to Budapest wonderful. The owner and his staff were extremely accommodating with polite service, friendliness and attention to helping us get around Budapest. For example, when leaving we had a early flight and they packed a hearty breakfast to take with us. Our private room was large and very clean. The main room for relaxing, reading, and having breakfast comfortable, cozy and old world classy. It was a great way to connect with fellow travelers for food and conversation. The tram with quick connection to the Metro was very convenient. The neighborhood was a quiet relief to the hustle of the city. A nearby, small restaurant was quite affordable, delicious and enjoyable. Overall, Abel Panzio was a perfect match of value and comfort. Scott and Sylvia/ USA

Room Tip: The first floor room with the three large windows to the street with a high ceiling was very spacio...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Vina del Mar, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

we spent 4 or 5 days in a double room with private bathroom, I can only say good things about this place, people in charge was very friendly and of great help. They not only made us feel at home for those days but they provided a lot of info regarding the places we wanted to visit.
Their location is not in downtown but in a quiet lovely place two blocks away from the bus. There was also a trolley very near, actually at the end of the block, that took us to the castle. Great place for the value, clean and safety.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I stayed in this wonderful pension in January 2012 for 7 nights. It was exactly what I was looking for: conveniently located (a 15-minute walk to Gellert Hill or a short tram ride), friendly, quiet and clean. But it was also more than that - a beautifully converted villa with the most kind and lovely owner and helpful staff, interesting guests, a lovely welcoming atmosphere, Hungarian art on the walls. I stayed in a double room (with en suite) which had lovely beams, plants and sky-lights and a huge desk (as a writer, this was beyond perfect). I felt more like I was staying with friends or family than in an anonymous hotel. Next time I'm in Budapest I will make sure I am staying here!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

This lovely, quiet, private pension, located on the Buda side, will continue to be our location of choice as we return to Budapest in the future. If you're flying in it's about a 22 Euro ride from the airport, but make sure you take a taxi from the taxi stand and not one of the local "cabbies" waiting outside the baggage claim. The "innkeeper" is a very charming man and makes his guests feel genuinely at home. Breakfasts were genuinely continental with plenty of fresh break, cold cuts, juices. Our room with its own bathroom overlooked a very nice backyard for quiet time when you want to have some quiet time from the busy city. It's a nice walk to Móricz Zsigmond square where you can ride bus 7E(express) quickly to the Pest side of the Danube. The square is also where you can catch the Metro to other parts of the city.
So if you're looking for a home away from home enjoy Abel Panzio and ask for a "room with a view."

Dave and Bonnie
USA

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, va
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

My wife and I got a double room and mother-in-law got a single room for two nights. The neighborhood was nice if a little out of the way and was easy to find. The house itself was very nice and the fridge was stocked with beer, wine, and drinks. While the rooms were spacious and clean they had a little bit of a run down feeling to them. The bed was lumpy, the shower head wouldn't attach to the wall, and the shower curtain kept falling off of the rings. The staff was not helpful with recommending restaurants or shows, and they kicked us off the breakfast table 10 minutes before the breakfast was supposed to end so they could begin cleaning. It interrupted a nice conversation we were having with some of the other guests. The next time I am in Budapest I am going to look for something that is a little bit more guest oriented.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed at ABEL Panzio for 8 nights July 2011 and we were happy and comfortable there. The house is a beautifully restored Hungarian villa (built 1913) with all the charm which this implies. Situated in a quiet residential area it has a shady and restful garden which residents can use. Convenient for the city, with excellent transport links, it is near shops and local restaurants. Staff are courteous and friendly - approachable and helpful in every way. Also speak good English. Our room (ensuite double) was spacious and very clean.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Salzburg, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

First night, my train arrived late, almost midnight. The directions to Abel Panzio from their website were perfect and easy to follow. When I arrived, the hotel was locked, but I rang and the staff greeted me, smiling and escorted me immediately to my room and told me to get comfortable and sleep well. The room was very spacious and very clean.

Every morning, I got a wake-up call, which was a personal phone call!! One day, I had a tour and the guide arrived early, so I was going to miss my breakfast. The receptionist that day made my breakfast to go for me!

Also, one evening, I needed directions to a folk show. The receptionist had not heard of the building, but looked it up online for me. The directions she gave me were very easy to follow.

Each of the girls were very friendly, attentive, and I experienced the best service I have ever had anywhere!!!!! Definitely recommended!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Abel Pension? Share your experiences!