“Atmospheric hotel in great location” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Kalvin House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Goenczy Pal utca 6, Budapest 1093, Hungary   |
Ranked #65 of 328 Hotels in Budapest
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Atmospheric hotel in great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed there in September 2014 with two friends. We booked a triple room however on our arrival we discovered we were actually allocated two bedrooms, which was even better. Both rooms were very spacious, furnished with antiques and had wooden floors. Furnishings included large dining table, chest of drawers, wardrobe, three single beds, fan, fridge (this is available on request) plus a large display cabinet with porcelain which was there for decoration purposes only. Bathroom was also decent size, with bath and overhead shower. Hairdryer and small sachets of toiletries were provided.Please note there is no safe in the room. I would also point out you can hear noises from the street as the windows are quite old but personally it didn't bother me.Our booking included continental breakfast, this is served in the dining room by reception. There's choice of salamis, cheese, yogurt, sweet pastries etc. there's no fruit salad but there was a fruit bowl. Room was cleaned daily. Location is perfect, right behind the hotel you can find the great market hall and the bridge that takes you to Gellert Hill. Metro stop is only couple of minutes of walk away. I'd say if you enjoy walking, most attractions are located within walking distance, on our last day we walked all the way to New York cafe which turned out to be about 20mins stroll. We ordered taxi to and from the airport via hotel reception, this was approx £24 each way: its about 20mins drive depending on traffic conditions. There's a Tesco express and pharmacy right next to the hotel and also numerous restaurants and takeaways. We had a really good deal via booking.com and I feel for the price paid we couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located in an old building with a circular stairway, which gives it some charm. But inside it is rather old and tired and sort of depressing. Our room had been remodeled and had modern amenities, but things like the door panels were in sore need of repair. We kept tripping over the door sills. The breakfast was pretty good. The staff is helpful but a little pushy about booking tours with them (they obviously get a fee for this).

The hotel's location is its best asset in my opinion. Just two quick tram stops to the city center. There is a pedestrian mall lined with restaurants just a short block away.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

I used the hotels pickup service from the airport since a quick check showed it to be about US$5.00 more than the listed taxi prices. They used a service but I was met in arrivals and after a short wait for some other riders I was off to the hotel. My room was small but perfectly functional for my needs. The water pressure and hot water supply were less than ideal but it wasn't bad enough to complain about. I requested a refrigerator which was in place upon check in. The staff were very friendly and helpful to a fault and all spoke very good english, much better than my attempts at mangling their language. If I stopped by reception and mentioned where I was heading I received detailed directions for the best route of travel to get there. I'm not generally an early riser on vacation but the times I made it down for the breakfast buffet I found it to be varied in selection not overly fancy but far above the stale pastries and bad coffee many other places put out. As others have said it is located close to public transit and many restaurants and only a block and a half from the river. You are getting your monies worth here.

Room Tip: Not sure, I think I had the smallest room in the place but it suited my needs so not useful suggesti...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Burlington, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2014

This hotel has a lot of character and we liked that. It is in a former apartment building and our room was quite spacious and comfortable. Our original room had large windows and a balcony looking onto an interior courtyard but it was changed due to problems with the door lock. We were somewhat disappointed that the room needed to be changed but found the replacement room more "modern" and still comfortable. The breakfast was very good and the staff very helpful. The location was excellent -- about 100 m from a large covered market and a short walk to an inviting street with many restaurants. Easy to catch trams and the metro.

Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2014

This Place looks like a palace from the late 19th century, high rooms, genuine wooden floor, bed and wardrope made from genuine wood as well, its just so nice to be here.

The location is perfect, you can walk to the city or take tram or subway in just some minutes. The great market is right next door, the gellert SPA just over the brige.

Well, the breakfast is not great but really ok for the price (included), you get Wireless, can use the computers for free.

The rooms have a fan, no air con- This might be tough in the hot summer. We had a good time and its good for the trees.

Not to forget - we got this place on a booking platform for about 55 Euros per night - for this price the deal was more than perfect.

Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2014

Great location close to restaurants, bars, sights etc. A spacious room cleaned every day. Friendly, helpful staff and Wifi in the bedroom. Requested a double bed in my single room which I was happy to see on arrival! No complaints at all!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Linkoping, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2014

Good location on this hotel, very close to restaurants, pubs and bars and also the subway and trams. The food court/market house is located in the end of the street - don't miss that!
Good breakfast buffet and friendly, helpful and serviceminded staff.
Big, clean room with a Lovely bathroom and perfect cleaning.
Surprisingly good price. Romantic hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kalvin House? Share your experiences!