“I must have stayed at a different place! How many stars??” 1 of 5 stars

Kalmar Bed & Breakfast
Kelenhegyi ut 7-9 | H-1118 Budapest, Budapest, Hungary   |
Ranked #37 of 171 Budapest B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“I must have stayed at a different place! How many stars??”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The place had been recommended, and although I was surpised by the number of stairs, the fact that the owner had claimed I had no booking (when I had a copy of the email from months before, confirming my booking!) and the icy - I don't just mean the weather - reception on the intercom when I asked for help with my luggage, were not a good start. I had been traveling almost 9 hours from Austria (I am over 70) and my request for a warm drink was met with "I don't do meals" and an electric jug dumped in front of me. The bed was lumpy and not properly made and the 9 TV channels all in Hungarian, although she claimed to have satellite. The room was like a cell, in the lower part of the pension and after an extremely uncomfortable night deciding that this was not the friendly place I had been led to expect, I left straight after breakfast next morning and stayed happily in the beautiful Gellert Hotel at the bottom of the hill. Esta was very rude the whole time and at no point was there a word of welcome. She 'found' my booking in time to charge me for 2 days and nights, which I didn't argue about, so glad was I to get out of there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We choose Kalmár Panzió originally by trip adviser reviews and weren't mistaken. Loved it, loved it, every bit of it. It is mansion that belonged to former primer minister Teleki, so it is marble and crystal everywhere. The location cannot be better, steps from the Liberty bridge and one of the best mineral spa - Gellert spa. The spa opens at 6am, so be sure to visit it before your day starts - I kept doing it everyday during our stay. Also Gellert Hill is near by - good morning start to see gorgeous views of whole Budapest. The owner Eszter is amazing! She provided us all possible info and more. She was extremely flexible as our plans kept changing and she accommodated us completely. She got up at night to meet us when we were very late and provided parking to us in her garage. We really felt as we had relative in Budapest and it's now feels this way :). Definitely coming back!
If you are looking for good eats - restaurant in Gellert Hotel was great and also across the bridge "For Sale" pub was cheap and food was very tasty (portions are huge, you can ask half portions).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Krems an der Donau, Niederosterreich, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My travel buddy and I recently stayed at the Kalmar Panzio in Budapest and fell in love with the place as soon as we walked in! Eszter, the hotel manager was an amazing host who helped us with everything in regards to transfers, taxi's, breakfast, comfort and tours.. you name it and she will help you! The atmosphere of the place really encompasses everything that Budapest and the country, Hungary is all about. You feel like you have been taken back in time for a little bit and are living in old Budapest. It was very easy also to get across to whichever part of the city you wanted! Would stay here again in a heartbeat and will be reccommending it to all of my family and friends!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Well, I would go back here anytime just for the atmosphere and soo nice owners!! It really does not feel like a hotel or pension, they are always talking to you, asking how you feel, make sure that everything is right. It was a short holiday with my girlfriend and these location was perfect, felt very romantic with that old furniture and it had so much charme!!!! this besides the other regular details like:clean, big, well equiped.....
We felt the breakfast was really nice, enjoyed the quality of products even if it was not so varied and the big table for breakfast was quite a unique original idea! Though maybe they should give the possibility to have also some small 2 places tables, since it really can be a romantic location, so maybe you don't want to meet aother people, but just enjoy time with your soul mate:).
The only minus I would say is the bathroom, quite small and not so new/originally decorated as you would expect in comparisoon with the rooms and the entire property.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed here last August (2011) and I've been meaning to write a review since. I've finally got round to it as I look for other accommodation for a different break. My wife and I loved the Kalmar. Fantastic location, friendly accommodation and an amazing, authentically Hungarian Suite.
I've seen negative reviews of the breakfast. I don't understand them, breakfast was lovely, very European/continental & generous, worth if for the amazing, home made salami alone. Yes it got repetitive after a week, but if you wanted something different or had a special request, all you had to do was ask Eszter or her lovely staff.
I would have given the Kalmar full marks, but the smaller room in the basement would have been really disappointing. We upgraded to an amazing suite, with enormous bathroom and balcony which cost a little more but was simply stunning and amazing value, the smaller rooms simply don't live up.
Eszter was great, generous with her time and incredibly friendly. I've seen comments about her lack of approachability and having seen her take to task with other guests who were rude I wouldn't want to get on her bad side. However, we found her warm, approachable, incredibly welcoming and full of great suggestions. We would definitely come back and recommend this place to all our friends.

Room Tip: Don't go for one of the standard basement rooms, splash out on a suite.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

We recently stayed at the Kalmár Panzio and were overwhelmed by the wonderful accommodations. The location of the pension couldn’t be better, the room was large, quiet and beautiful, the owners were very friendly and helpful. The Kalmár is located right behind the landmark Gellért baths and a short 10 minute walk across the green bridge to the Great Market Hall and the Váci utca, a popular shopping street. The building itself is a beautiful 100-year-old mansion located in a large garden lot, surrounded by many trees. We had a very large bedroom with a marble floor, antique furniture, a firm, comfortable bed and a small, modern bathroom. The room was exceptionally quiet. Breakfast was nice with good local bread, yogurt and cereal, hard-boiled eggs and cold meats, juice, coffee and possibly more – I don’t recall. Eszter’s homemade plum jam was delightful! Eszter Kalmár, the owner and host, was very friendly and helpful, sitting down at breakfast with us to share thoughts and offer ideas. She even allowed us to pay with a combination of forints and euros, instead of just euros, so that we could use up the forints before leaving Hungary. I would consider this one of the best B & B’s I have ever visited.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

We enjoyed our stay just after Christmas, very friendly owner Eszter. Rooms very romantic, beautiful large topapartment. Budapest is beautiful city. We loved the thermal baths: Kiraly, Szecheniye and Gellert.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Kalmar Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!