“Really friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 156 Budapest B&B and Inns
edinburgh
“Really friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed here last August (2011) and I've been meaning to write a review since. I've finally got round to it as I look for other accommodation for a different break. My wife and I loved the Kalmar. Fantastic location, friendly accommodation and an amazing, authentically Hungarian Suite.
I've seen negative reviews of the breakfast. I don't understand them, breakfast was lovely, very European/continental & generous, worth if for the amazing, home made salami alone. Yes it got repetitive after a week, but if you wanted something different or had a special request, all you had to do was ask Eszter or her lovely staff.
I would have given the Kalmar full marks, but the smaller room in the basement would have been really disappointing. We upgraded to an amazing suite, with enormous bathroom and balcony which cost a little more but was simply stunning and amazing value, the smaller rooms simply don't live up.
Eszter was great, generous with her time and incredibly friendly. I've seen comments about her lack of approachability and having seen her take to task with other guests who were rude I wouldn't want to get on her bad side. However, we found her warm, approachable, incredibly welcoming and full of great suggestions. We would definitely come back and recommend this place to all our friends.

Room Tip: Don't go for one of the standard basement rooms, splash out on a suite.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

We recently stayed at the Kalmár Panzio and were overwhelmed by the wonderful accommodations. The location of the pension couldn’t be better, the room was large, quiet and beautiful, the owners were very friendly and helpful. The Kalmár is located right behind the landmark Gellért baths and a short 10 minute walk across the green bridge to the Great Market Hall and the Váci utca, a popular shopping street. The building itself is a beautiful 100-year-old mansion located in a large garden lot, surrounded by many trees. We had a very large bedroom with a marble floor, antique furniture, a firm, comfortable bed and a small, modern bathroom. The room was exceptionally quiet. Breakfast was nice with good local bread, yogurt and cereal, hard-boiled eggs and cold meats, juice, coffee and possibly more – I don’t recall. Eszter’s homemade plum jam was delightful! Eszter Kalmár, the owner and host, was very friendly and helpful, sitting down at breakfast with us to share thoughts and offer ideas. She even allowed us to pay with a combination of forints and euros, instead of just euros, so that we could use up the forints before leaving Hungary. I would consider this one of the best B & B’s I have ever visited.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

We enjoyed our stay just after Christmas, very friendly owner Eszter. Rooms very romantic, beautiful large topapartment. Budapest is beautiful city. We loved the thermal baths: Kiraly, Szecheniye and Gellert.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
JAPAN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

My friend and I stayed at Kalmar for 5 nights. Main reasons for my choice were its location and historical background. Both were above my expectations. The Pension is in a quiet neighborhood, surrounded with trees and is close to public transportation and a 24-hour shop. The history of the building itself and the antique furnitures were fascinating. It was like staying in a museum.
We had the two basement rooms. The room I had was very spacious but the bathroom was very small, and even though I am small in size, I had to be careful not to bang my arm or elbow to the wall.
The all-guests-sit-in-one-big-table style breakfast was a surprise at first, but I thought it was a good idea as you come to know the other guests.
The owner was very caring and extremely helpful with information and advice, which made us feel comfortable and secure.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

I appreciate that every time I come here, the staff is attentive and helpful. Each time we come to Hungary we have chosen to stay at the Kalmar the last four years because of the location, the beautiful and spacious rooms, modern bathrooms and fantastic breakfasts! It's something we can count on! Also, I have needed laundry done and it is no problem which is convenient as I do not need to bring so many clothes with me.
Eszter and her husband, Istvan are very accommodating and are as helpful as they can be!
They will provide taxi's, reservations, directions, etc. and they have tourist books and maps to borrow that are available to all. A new feature is the jacuzzi and sauna that is overlooking the most beautiful view in Budapest! We love it and will come back!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

My friends and I stayed at the Kalmar Pension (bed & breakfast) for several nights in October and we were very accomodated by the owners and staff. The rooms were fantastic with real antique furniture with genuine old world charm! The rooms are huge and inviting, very clean and also modernized with many conveniences, including a mini bar, phone, TV with cable, CD players.
I would definitely stay here again as the location also is ideal for walking, transport, shopping (right over the bridge is the MarketHall and Vaci Utca shopping street). Loved Budapest, loved Kalmar!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

The Kalmar is a family owned B&B on a quiet street behind the Gellert hotel. It is an easy walk to public transportation and the river. This wonderful old house sits on around a acre of private land. The rooms are large - some are quite large and have large balconies. Bathrooms are very clean and nice (No soap/shampoo so bring your own). The breakfasts are great and the atmosphere makes it feel like home. My family and I loved staying here and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Kalmar Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!