This hotel is at the luxury end of the scale but booking direct with their "megasale" brought a very affordable rate. We had access to the executive lounge and that was a great bonus. From the moment we entered the door we felt the warmth of the welcome. A champagne drink while we checked in and a very thorough explanation of the facilities was most welcome. We had a very comfortable room opening onto the atrium rather than the street. As the outside temperature was around 0 degrees Celsius for most of the stay the place was always warm. It was in fact difficult to cool the room at night for sleeping but that was very minor. The room had a sofa as well as a desk area and the bathroom both a tub and an oversize shower enclosure. Full free wifi in the room and the whole hotel.
The Executive Lounge was wonderful with sofas or tables if you needed to use a laptop. Breakfast was served there and was varied and wholesome. Each cup of coffee was individually brewed to order which was sometimes slower than a pot on the table but the quality was fabulous. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Snacks and drinks were available till 10 pm.
The concierge was particular knowledgeable and went the extra mile to help us with an obsolete currency note we had acquired. Everything we asked of him he knew and supplied annotated maps to make sure we arrived at the site we wanted.
The location of the Royal is excellent on one of the main tram routes 4/6 with a tram along about every 3 minutes. We found the Budapest public transport system excellent and very cheap to use with a 7 day ticket. We did not use any of the Corinthia's restaurants but there were excellent places we did try within easy walking distance. The Corinthia is an excellent base for a visit to this wonderful city and we are already planning a return trip.
- Also Known As:
- Corinthia Grand Budapest
- Corinthia Grand Hotel Royal
- Corinthia Grand Hotel Royal Budapest
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- First opened in 1896 as the Grand Hotel Royal; a hub for the elite of nineteenth century society, and painstakingly restored to its original glory some hundred years later, the Corinthia Budapest – located in the heart of the city - brings together classic hotel opulence with the finest five-star luxury of modern times. While the gracious frontage, marble floors, sweeping staircase and breathtaking, six-story Atrium preserved from the original building offer glorious hints of a bygone age, the levels of comfort and convenience are all reassuringly up to date.A particular feature is the hotel’s original Royal Spa centre, with 15-metre pool, now extensively refurbished by the current owners to reflect the very best in 21st-century spa luxury while retaining the grandeur of the past. Without doubt the finest hotel in Budapest. Built in classic French Renaissance style, the Grand Royal became a beacon of luxury in the days of Emperor Franz Joseph 1. Designed as a centrepiece of Hungary’s celebrations to mark its first thousand years, the hotel’s grand-style architecture and unrivaled guest facilities were seen as state-of the art for the times. Much of the building was destroyed in the 1956 Hungarian Revolution and despite re-opening in more modest form in the 1960’s, the Grand Royal remained a shadow of its former self until the 1990’s; when new owners Corinthia Hotels gave the green light for an extensive restoration project that would retain the best of the old, while sensitively adding the new. Once restored to its original splendour, the newly named Corinthia Hotel Budapest re-opened its doors, as a five-star luxury property, in 2003. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Tingo, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Corinthia Hotel Budapest reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.