“Wonderful hotel in beautiful city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Corinthia Hotel Budapest

You added Corinthia Hotel Budapest to your Saves list
Corinthia Hotel Budapest
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Erzsebet krt 43 - 49, Budapest H-1073, Hungary (Erzsébetváros)   |
Ranked #8 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
london
“Wonderful hotel in beautiful city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

Stayed at the Corinthia with my two teenage daughters and our stay could not have been more perfect. The reception is stunning and has a real wow factor about it. Our room was beautiful very large (even big enough for an extra bed to fit in comfortably). So much marble in the bathroom !! Huge shower and lots of space in the dressing area for all three of us to get ready at the same time. The staff were so friendly and the tall drop dead gorgeous doorman was lucky not to have been packed in my two daughters cases he was so handsome! We were made welcome from the moment we arrived. The spa is really good although did get busy at the end of the day and needed more beds to relax on as we could never get one in three days. We used the Bistro and the food was excellent. The hotel is in a great location easy to walk everywhere and Budapest is very safe to walk around even late at night. Lots of excellent eateries around at varied prices. All in all a beautiful hotel in a wonderful clean city full of very friendly people - can wait to go back!

Room Tip: Airport shuttle bus excellent
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dorchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Stunning Hotel, great location, food and drink in the hotel is VERY pricey, but hey its to be expected in a 5* and there are plenty of eateries with in 5 minutes walk.
The room was very spacious and comfortable, but even with the AC set the the coolest setting the room was very warm and quite uncomfortable to sleep under the sheets.
The spa was very good, but did get very noisey around 5pm, and for once it wasnt the English being noisey! If you go in around 2pm you should have the spa to your self though. The fitness facilities are very lacking which was a shame as the rest of the hotel is very well equipt,
All in all a brilliant hotel even with the bad points, they are greatly out weight by the good.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
North East England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I booked a 3 night stay at the Corinthia from 25th to 28th March to celebrate my wifes birthday. On arriviving at the hotel we immediately noticed how striking the facade was, and equally impressive was the reception area, which together with the bar lounges form an atrium. The bedrooms are situated in a horseshoe shape within the atrium, and look down onto the reception area.
Our wait at reception was long, but once we had registered,the porter quickly took our cases to the bedroom.
The unfortunate thing about this hotel is that all the noise generated in the reception area and bars area transcends to the bedrooms above, and on the first night of our stay a party was in full swing until 2.30am making it impossible to get any sleep.
On the second evening we went to bed at approximately 11.30am and another party was taking place.The noise generated by this party was quite unbelievable, with both men and women shouting and swearing at the top of their voices. This was a much larger party than the previous night, and appeared to be a large contingent from Ireland.
It was impossible to sleep through the din, and at about 2.00am.my wife rang reception to ask how long the party was to go on for ,and was told it was scheduled to end at 3.00am.
At 3.3O.am. the noise and bad language got worse, and I rang down to reception to ask for the noise to be controlled, but I was informed that the party was out of control,and although they had tried to silence the revellers, they were unable to.
At 5.00am. with the din even worse, my wife again rang the reception,and when she asked if we could have another room for the following evening, the reception offered another room immediately, and my wife took up the offer. The clocks had gone forward one hour,so the time at this junture was in fact 6.00am. We told reception that we were shattered, and unable to enjoy this beautiful city.
I took up my complaint with the duty manageress after breakfast on the Sunday morning, who reiterated that the staff had been unable to control the party. I asked for some recompense, but was offered only 2 free breakfasts for each of us. When I informed the duty manageress that I had not been given what I had paid for, she informed me that she was unable to give me anything off the room rate, as I had booked through Experian ,and they were in possession of the money I had paid. Surely the hotel knows how much money I had paid for the weekend, and equally will receive the money from Experian. I find it inconceivable that the hotel was unable to recompense at least the one full night when we couldnt get any sleep. In any walk of life, if you purchase something from a reputable company, and do not receive that product or service, then you have a right to have the cost returned. I have not been given that right. Furthermore, surely the hotel as a total responsibility when selling a bedroom to ensure that the person can sleep in it. Also to make sure that the patron is not subjected to the vile language that was being screamed until 5.30 a.m. It is no excuse whatsoever to state that they could not control the party,- they should ensure they can.
I have spoken to Experian who have suggested that I E Mail them with my complaint, and I will be doing that.
As for the rest of the hotel. On the Saturday evening we dined in the Rickshaw restaurant, and both the service and the food were excellent, and not particularly overpriced. Both our starters were very bland in taste, but that is only a minor complaint. On the Sunday evening we dined in the Bistro restaurant and the food was, again first class. The service was excellent, but it is worth pointing out that there appeared to be only one waitress serving approximately 40 people,and she couldnt go any faster, which unfortunately didnt give a feeling of calmness and serenity, within the beautiful surroundings. Breakfast in the main is tasty and varied, although it is difficult to find a table when the hotel is full. Drinks in the bar are rather expensive, and this observation was probably borne out by the very few people drinking.
In summing up my feelings. - This hotel may be a 5 star with regard to the amenities within the hotel, but falls way short when it comes to "creature comforts" I am fortunate to have stayed in some of the finest hotels in Europe, and travel to Budapest on a regular basis, but I have to say that I think this hotel falls way short of 5 stars. I have never stayed in a quality hotel where revellers are allowed to shout and swear at the tops of their voices until 5 or 6 in the morning.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Stayed at the Corinthia 28th - 31 March 2011 arriving with high expectations and we were not disappointed. Wonderful hotel, very polite and efficient staff and great attention to detail. We arrived late and ate in the Lobby Bar with live piano music. The food was excellent and the same can be said about breakfast. We have stayed in so many great hotels but none have beaten the breakfast on offer at this hotel. The location is good and whilst it doesn't sit on the Danube a short stroll to the Oktagon takes you to the Metro and with the City map in hand and using the Metro, trams and buses you can find your way around so very easily. As for the City itself, it is pure magic with so many wonderful places to see - the Castle area on the Buda side of the Chain Bridge, Gellert Hill, Margaret Island and on the Pest side, the Grand Central Market, St Stephens Basillica, the Parlement Building, Heros Square and the Thermal baths in the City Park are just a few of the "must visit" sites. Try the Soul Cafe on Raday Street for dinner - wonderful, and do not miss a sandwich, a cake and a beer (or Coffee) at Gerbaud in Vorosmarty Terr - if it's good enough for Princess Di and her Mother in Law the Queen then it has to be good enough for the rest of us. Budapest, a wonderful City and the Corinthia Hotel a wonderful hotel. We can't wait to go back

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

Everything in this hotel is fantastic, from the location, food, spa, rooms, staff, everything was just perfect. One of the best holidays I have ever had (Excellent hotel in a beautiful city)

• Stayed March 2011
Divonne, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I took my husband for a long weekend in Budapest at the Corinthia as a belated birthday present. The choice of the hotel was based mainly on the enthusiastic reviews I read on TripAdvisor, and I was really looking forward to our 3-night stay.

Our own experience was a little bit different, and although our stay was enjoyable on the whole, it was not as amazing as expected. I don’t mean to infer that the other reviews were misleading but most of the really enthusiastic ones seem to come from people who had been upgraded to suites as “guests of the day”, so of course that would make anyone feel really special.

We had booked an executive room but for some reason we were directed to the main reception area rather than the executive lounge. Check-in was fast and courteous but we did not get the voucher for a free entry at any of 3 leading Budapest spas (part of our package) – I had to go and claim it later. The receptionist mentioned a welcome drink but as it didn’t materialize and we didn’t’ want to hang around in the reception area, we headed to our room – that was a mistake because we ended up drinking tap water with the birthday cake I had pre-ordered for my husband! (there was Evian available but for approx. 7 Euros a half-bottle!).

The room itself (boulevard-looking executive room) was comfortable and of a good size, but there was no wow-factor when it came to decoration – it was quite dark and certainly could use some jazzing up. Unlike another reviewer, I really enjoyed the fig and almond toiletries and thought they smelt wonderful – each to their own!¨

The executive lounge was another disappointment. There was hardly any service and you had to catch a waiter whenever you saw one to request a drink (unless you wanted water, juice or wine, which were available from the self-service counter). No one ever came to greet you or ask if you wanted a drink. Cocktail hours were a bit of a letdown as all you could order were a few mixers, such as gin and tonic or whisky and coke. Perhaps we have been spoiled, but I remember from other executive lounges that during cocktail hours you could have proper cocktails like mojitos, daiquiris, etc… As for food, it was not refreshed very often and when it was, there would be a dozen “bouchées” served on a plate which disappeared quicker than you can say!

The executive room was however a nice place to have breakfast, as it was more quiet than the main dining area. The service seemed also more efficient at that time of the day and coffee was always served promptly.

The spa was very nice. We never managed to get a lounger in the 3 days that we spent at the Corinthia, but it didn’t matter as we spent a lot of time swimming in the pool or chilling out in the Jacuzzi or the steam room. This was really lovely.

We tried out a couple of restaurants, including Bistro Bock (very nice) and Krizia (our favourite). The hotel is very well located and you can find many restaurants in the near vicinity. For an afternoon treat, the New York café, just up the road, is a great place to visit.

All in all, we had mixed feelings about this hotel. Or were our expectations set too high…?
So to the final question “would you recommend this hotel to a friend”, I would answer yes, but I’d share the above with them first, and let them make up their mind!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
corinthiabudapest, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments and experiences about your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel Budapest.
We are always eager to make our guests’ stay enjoyable and special and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in all areas.
Please accept my apologies for the problems at the check-in and that you did not receive your free Spa entrance card which was part of the special ‘Winter Invitation’ promotional package. We will follow up this issue with our Front Office team to avoid any further inconvenience to our other guests.
I am also sorry to learn that our executive lounge facility was disappointing for you. We have taken up your comments with the Executive lounge team to ensure we provide a much more consistent approach for the future.
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again to our hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Adrian Ellis
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

This hotel is quite lovely, but the lobby does give a better impression than the rooms. We were given a standard room, so perhaps my description is not as glowing as some of the others. The room was a little dated (and hard bed). Unfortunately, we did not get a voucher, as some others reported in the reviews, to the Baths. It would have been nice, since we did go the the baths and had to pay for everything (locker, towels, etc.). Although the hotel is very close to the metro, I think I would have preferred the area closed to the River. But, all in all, a very nice hotel with an accommodating staff. Another note: I thought the pool was fed from thermal springs, but it was just a regular pool.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments and as always we appreciate your constructive feedback.
The vouchers mentioned in your comments were part of a special package called the ‘Winter Invitation’. We truly apologise if you have booked this package and have not received the free entrance tickets that is part of this programme. This promotion has finished at the end of March so we are not able to forward you the missing tickets, however we would be more than happy to organise a free entrance to one of the thermal baths upon you next visit to our hotel.
We hope that we will have to opportunity to welcome you back as our guest in the very near future.

Kind regards,

Adrian Ellis

Been to Corinthia Hotel Budapest? Share your experiences!