“Pompous hotel with nice atmosphere and great breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Save HUF4,500 on select meals
Ranked #98 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
Kokkedal
“Pompous hotel with nice atmosphere and great breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed for 3 nights in this nice, big, old, charming hotel with great breakfast. We had a wonderful time. It was fantastic to use the pool facilities and get some massage. The hotel is situated by the beautiful green bridge, close to everything in Budapest. Budapest is really the city of spa!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

From the outside this hotel looks amazing and is advertised as a spa hotel. We booked for 4 nights in April this year but we stayed for just 1 night as it was so awful. We moved to the Corinthia Hotel for the remainder of our stay and this was a fantastic hotel. The Gellert room we were allocated was very old and tired with a television balanced on a fridge. The bed was very old and uncomfortable and the room was not clean. The furniture was old and chipped and the walls had stains on them. The bathroom was not particularly clean and again was very old and tired looking. The room overlooked the Danube but the balcony was dirty old and crumbling. No air-conditioning and you could not have the door to the balcony open at night due the noise of the city and flies. Staff were not welcoming or helpful. Breakfast was cold. We also had a note come through the door on our 1st and only night to say they were having some necessary maintenance work completed which would cause disruption to the supply of water in our room for the entire length of our stay. One of the worst experiences we have ever had abroad and unless the hotel underwent a major refurb and trained its staff to be a little more helpful I would never go back there again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The Hotel is an iconic landmark in Budapest. It looks a fantastic building that is amazing especially at night when it is lit up. The Hotel lobby is very grand and the finishing is very opulent and you feel very special when checking in and cannot help but look around at the building. However I was not really ready for what I found when I got to my room........tired and need of some serious tender loving care does not really come close. The carpet was threadbare and was very frayed and you could see the wooden flooring underneath in two places. I am really surprised that for such a special hotel they would even allow people to stay in this room. I understand that the Hotel is old but you do expect a certain standard from a hotel and this one has lived up to my expectations. The room is very clean but is so ruined by that carpet. I only stayed the night and was pleased to leave the room. I wish I could have slept in the Lobby which was grand and not so grim as my room. I was so embarrassed that they put me in this room that I could not even complain at Check out as they did not seem to value my custom. From looking at others reviews I cannot believe if the rooms were like mine that they could say it was the best Hotel ever.....which suggests that not all rooms are the same and I just had bad luck. On a positive note though the Spa and Thermal Baths are very nice and you get free entrance. If you want an old Hotel full of character this is good but if you want some luxury or comfort then this one is not for you.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the rooms on the 5th floor they are very tired.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
Bruges
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The location perfect. Service impeccable and super friendly. Spa next to hotel is a dream for a swimmer like me. Bistro serves excellent food, service perfect. Nice bar to have a late night drink. Top!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

A stunning hotel. Wide, tall , long corridors. Terrific decorations and stained glass. A little old and tired but clean. Don't ask the staff to do things, ask them how to and they will offer to do it for you. The breakfasts were great, the evening meal was impeccable. the cafe was really good. I did not try the bar or bistro. The rooms good, lifts good. The free session in the Spa was brilliant. I have been spoilt.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Great location, and a great stay. Large rooms, quiet, great views of the river, short walk to market and town. Wake up and hit the therms before heading out for the day. Large breakfast. Friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Berlin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I like the baths, and the attentive and kind service. But I come for the baths. If there were no thermal baths, I wouldn't book Gellert, because the hotel by itself at these prices is not worth it, compared to other hotels. About the service, employees provide attentive, patient, quick - just all around excellent service The front desk guys got us a room Friday, despite being sold out earlier in week. The doorman and baggage fellows are professional, and fun, which is important, because they are the first people a guest meets. The maids never bothered us over 4 days, and that's how we wanted it. At other hotels, many maids knock or enter, despite the do not disturb sign.

Gellert has the thermal baths that I like. There are many fine hotels in Budapest, but it's the baths that bring me to Gellert. I like your baths particularly, because the water contains no chlorine. I hate chlorine.

So I skip other hotels and stay at Gellert because of the baths, and the service helps bring me back and enjoy my stay.

However, there's problems. First, the hotel needs a renovation. New paint, new carpet, etc. We stayed in a suite, and the room was big and the views of the bridge are impressive But the room needs work and it needs improvement. For example, New beds. The beds are just outright uncomfortable - Both hard mattress and I felt the metal springs. Another thing, new carpet. The carpet is hard and old and faded and stained even. New blinds. The blinds do not darken sunlight in the morning. Need some things like why not have a microwave? Why not sandals? Providing free or cheap sandals (for the baths) would also be nice. Small fee I mean. Kleenexes near beds. Extra tea cups. etc etc

Another problem I have with the hotel is the barber is gone. I wanted a haircut, and a health hotel spa like this hotel should have a barber. The manicure and pedicure shop (next to the cafe) long waiting lists meant we couldn't get a time to go, before our trip ended.

About value- the hotel is not worth the price. If there were no baths, I would never book the Gellert, because of the negatives i listed, uncomoftable bed being my biggest complaint. The service is great though.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Danubius Hotel Gellert? Share your experiences!