“Good-ish location, great service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Budapest Metropol

You added Mercure Budapest Metropol to your Saves list
Mercure Budapest Metropol
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rakoczi Utca 58, Budapest 1074, Hungary (District VII / Jewish Quarter)   |
Ranked #155 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Stockholm, Sweden
“Good-ish location, great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

There's nothing happening right next to the hotel but we walked almost everywhere and it didn't take long to get places. The staff is super friendly and helpful. The breakfast sis nothing special but very complete with fruit, eggs, bread, vegetables, etc. The rooms are very small but clean, I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Blaskovics, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Metropol, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Mrs. E,
Thank you very much for sharing your opinion on the Tripadvisor! We are very happy that you find our hotel nice and well located, not to mention the breakfast value.
We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and a review such as yours is most gratifying.
I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel,
Maria Blaskovics

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Can't say much good or about my stay. The Hotel is close to the Underground station which is two stops to the Danube River. The area feels a little run down with street hawkers around the streets and underground station. Rooms were small but perfectly functional including TV, free
wi-fi, en-suite, mini bar. If you have booked room only don't pay for the breakfast as it's a waste of money. Staff all very helpful and offer storage of bags after I checked out. Room rate was very good so met my expectations considering I spent little time in my room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank You for your comments, I took your point in term of positive and negative feedback as well. It’s a pleasure for me to read that our housekeeping and front desk staff provided you a real professional service.
I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to Mercure Budapest Metropol,
Bratislava, Slovakia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Let me pass my deep dissapointment for the service we have recieved today.
We are having more than 200 nights in Hotel Korona Budapest a year as a company, and today´s experience just completely dissapointed us.

1. As hotel Korona was sold out, I was transffered to Hotel Metropol, with the promise of privilege room.
Receptionist did not bother to offer the privilage room (eventhough it was on a visitir card clearly stated)and booked me in a room 309/smelly smoky mini room with socialistic type of bathroom. After I went up with all of the luggage, room key did not work twice, so needed to come back to reception 2x.
I ve asked for the reason why I was not upgraded as promised, receptionist finally, upgraded the room. Bz the waz ..priviledged is "just a slightly bigger standard room" - very old , dirty look, horrible"like 1000 x used" blankets and pillows
Rooms – either privilage and standard are very LOW standard, old, smelly, and dirty and for 90 € !!!!!, we would never ever AGAIN ENTER THIS HOTEL !

2. My collegue – had reservation for 3 nights in Corona – and when she arrived, she was informed that her room was canceled """"with no explanation !
She was also linked to METROPOL with the promise for an upgrade. Again, upgrade was not offered, booking was wrong, just for 1 night instead of 3 nights. We neede to pay for a taxi etc.

I would like to stress, that My collegue is spending in Budapest 3 days each week and was using Hotel Corona. Im personaly member of Le club and we travel around CEE region using ACCOR hotels as well,.
AFTER THIS CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE OF HORRIBLE SERVICE, RUDE STAFF AND UNBELIEVABLE CHARGES FOR LOW CLASS HOTEL, WE WILL BE NO LONGER WILLING TO USE YOUR SERVICE IN BUDAPEST.

Best regards,

Natália Šegedová

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte Amalie, null, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Metropol building has an interesting historical back story. You just can't beat the price and location. Walk out the lobby and everything is nearby. The rooms are small but who goes to Budapest to stay in the room! All the staff were very friendly. I ended up getting a few great gifts from the shop in the lobby which my friends really enjoyed!

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
We appreciated the time and the care you took to evaluate our hotel. It is a pleasure for us that you were satisfied with our staff, service, and location.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

definitely did not leave us a 4-star feeling. the rooms are quite clean but seem old, the staff is not very helpful, the area in which it is located is a noisy and notorious one, only one outlet in the room which was already occupied by a lamp! there were no towels in the room, had to call for the reception to bring us. they were hopefully clean but needed immediate replacement. our reservation was for a room with a queen side and the gave us a twin room and they weren't able to upgrade us. only upsides, near the railway and metro station, and the big variety of the breakfast. if you insist on choosing the Accor hotels, definitely choose Ibis.

Blaskovics, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Metropol, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Sir, Thank you very much for sharing your opinion with us!
We are very sorry that full hotel occupancy with some laundry delay caused you some uncomfortable moments, and the same time I highly appreciate your positive feedback regarding good public transport possibilities and breakfast quality.
We hope you will give us the opportunity to show you our best Mercure performance,
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here through Gate 1 Travel and it was a decent hotel. The prices I saw were pretty steep for the quality, but it was alright. The rooms were pretty clean, the carpet seemed a bit dirty though. The staff was friendly. The breakfast wasn't that good. It was in a pretty convenient location. It was within walking distance to everything, so that's great. Overall.... it was a decent hotel. There are lots of better options in Budapest though!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Eight of us spent 2 nights on a recent trip. We got exactly what we'd expect from Mecure - friendly helpful reception, clean comfortable rooms and excellent value for money. The hotel is a short (10 minutes) walk from the river and then a little way further to the main sights. It is close to some of the best bars to go party.

All in all very satisfied.I didn't eat there at any point so am not giving 5 stars as I don't know what the food was like, but I heard nothing bad said by anybody in the group.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends