“Mercure on Rakoczi street BP” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Budapest Metropol

You added Mercure Budapest Metropol to your Saves list
Mercure Budapest Metropol
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rakoczi Utca 58, Budapest 1074, Hungary (Erzsébetváros)   |
Ranked #136 of 329 Hotels in Budapest
Breclav, Czech Republic
“Mercure on Rakoczi street BP”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Although on one of the rushest streets of the city, the Mercure Metropol was reasonably quiet with our room facing the inner court (can't say if that applies for the rooms facing the street). The location was good, the staff friendly, cleanliness very good as well. The room facilities were on the level. If there is a problem, then it would be the size of the room, which in my opinion can't even be helped much since all normal rooms looked the same size. Even so for the prize payed it was very good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

now i'm not sure its really a four star BUT its not really priced as one. I paid little more than £30 a night ( we stayed 3 nights) and although we didn't have breakfast in this we had all we needed. The hotel is clean, well kept ,the location is good ( next to trams and metro) and the staff friendly and helpful. For a real luxury treat just around the corner is the Boscolo New York Palace if you have the pennies go have breakfast the place is simply awesome. Some reviews have really ripped into this hotel and i'm not sure why , i'm pretty well traveled and i found it a great hotel for the price. I didn't find the location dangerous etc as previously said and I didn't find the hotel lacking or un deserving of a Mecure tag . I liked the place and I loved Budapest. Ok there are drunks in the subway but no one came on to me or my Mum and we felt perfectly safe buzzing about on public transport and out and about even late on BUT perhaps I'm a bit more used to city travels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Siofok, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had an amazing deal of 55€ incl. breakfast for two - for that price Mercure Metropol was a perfect base for our 3-days trip to Budapest. Our room was a bit outdated, the selection of TV channels was poor. However the location of the hotel (metro and main tram line) was very convenient. The reception and housekeeping staff was very friendly, good english and smiley. The heating worked very well - what else we would need? If you are not a snobish guy and you find a good deal - try this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Blaskovics, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Metropol, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear ZsuLeroy,

Thank You for your nice evaluation, I took your point in term of positive and negative comments as well. Your review surely will help other travellers to find their best choice!
I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to Mercure Budapest Metropol,

Best Regards,
Maria Blaskovics
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Worst hotel ever. It definetely doesn't deserve the Mercure name.
The rooms are noise and smell it. The location is not that good as well.
The restaurant isn't good.
The overal service is regular.
Stay at Ibis.

Room Tip: Choose IBIS instead...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Blaskovics, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Metropol, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Budapest Metropol. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. Most of our guest appreciates central location, and good price-value ratio.
At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Best Regards, Maria Blaskovics
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Bien placé vers Blaha Lujza Ter, donc le métro et le tram pour visiter la ville. Petit bmol c'était la supérfacie de la chambre! Il y avait le lit et puis plus rien!
Well located near Blaha Luiza Ter so easy for the metro and the tram to visit the town. The downside was the size of the room - miniscule. There was the bed and that was it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Waterloo, Ia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This hotel is very nice and very accommodating. The front desk staff was awesome. My suitcase arrived on another flight and was delivered and they were very quick to let me know when it had arrived. The rooms were very modern, but not very many outlets. It is very close to a metro station, which makes it very easy to get everywhere in Budapest.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and the room was very nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Its location is both the advantage and the defect. It is near the city center (20min. walking) and is at the edge of the Jewish Ghetto which is very attractive for eating and hanging out. There is a subway station in less than 3 min. walking (Blaha Lujza ter, M2), and there are tram stops as well. The problem is that the Rakoczi ut, which is the main street delimiting the ghetto and the street the Hotel faces is in poor conditions, many shops went out of business and you can observe the so called "broken windows effect": baggers, drug addicts, little thieves, etc. hanging around the subway station nearby the abandoned businesses. When you go in and out of the Hotel, you'll be forced to walk through them, hoping they'll be too busy to notice you. I saw a several Police detention scenes on the same street. One night, my partner needed an Aspirin badly, but the front desk had none. In all the Hotel of this category I'd been to, they had very basic pills except this Hotel (another negative thing). So I had to go to the closest night pharmacy opened on a bank holiday. I took the tram along Erzsebet korut towards the East Railway Station. This time, prostitutes, baggers, and drug-addicts were annoying me on the way to and back. I am a man who grew up in a non-safe city, but this time I really felt in danger. I was alone, in a dangerous street, in a country where I do not speak the language. They obviously noticed I was a tourist and they were stopping me constantly. I don't know how I managed safe back to the hotel... On the contrary the inner small streets of the ghetto are totally fine eve at night, the problem are the big streets and with this Hotel, you have no chance but to go through them. Now judge if it is worth staying here.

The other disappointing thing was the quality of the rooms. It as very small, I would say Tokyo's standard: which means that you barely have any space to open your luggage. Too bad we're in Budapest. We had a double bed (small) but 2 small covers (?). I slept with my feet out... Very inconvenient.

Over all, it was very disappointing and I stayed in Hostels in Pest where the quality of the rooms and the nearby surrounding was much better. Don't go there, unless you like danger.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Blaskovics, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Metropol, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Sir, Thank you very much for sharing your opinion with us!
We are very sorry that some dark impacts of a big European capital could override the beauty of Budapest and its colorful entertainment possibilities. Most of our clients admire our central location and easy public transport. Hotels are prohibited to serve pills to the guests for safety reasons, and we have different size hotel rooms, or upgrade in Privilége room on request. We hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.
Best Regards, Maria Blaskovics

Been to Mercure Budapest Metropol? Share your experiences!