“Could've been better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Budapest Metropol

You added Mercure Budapest Metropol to your Saves list
Mercure Budapest Metropol
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rakoczi Utca 58, Budapest 1074, Hungary (District VII / Jewish Quarter)   |
Ranked #153 of 333 Hotels in Budapest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wroclaw, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I spent 2 nights in this hotel. In my opinion it is not a 4-stars hotel. The location of the hotel is very good. It is around 20 minutes on foot to the city center. The rooms are very spacious but not very modern. I think that the hotel needs a small renovation. The staff was nice, but not very helpful. I had to wait during check-in, but I do not know why. There were two guys on the reception but I thought they did not see me. It was not a warm welcome I expected in Mercure hotel. I did not use breakfast service so I cannot rate it. I will recommend this place only if you find a good deal on Accor web.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Blaskovics, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Metropol, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Sir,
We appreciated the time and the care you took to evaluate our hotel. It is a pleasure for us that you were satisfied with the location and cleanliness of the hotel, and appreciated the good value-rate ratio of your stay. I would recommend You to take a look at your next booking to our promotional rates including breakfast on Mercure.com, to enjoy buffet breakfast that provides a powerful start to your daily program.
I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the Metropol,
Best Regards,
Maria Blaskovics
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Was most surprised when I registered to find the Manager had upgraded me to Accor Privelege at no extra cost. Hotel has been refurbished to a high standard. The [Privilege] rooms are more spacious than ordinary and there is a Privelege Lounge with PC and printer, coffee facilities. Hotel itself very clean and tidy, the staff very helpful. All the rooms are soundproofed and air conditioned.. Most spoke English, those that didn't spoke German. Breakfast is not included in the price, but for there is a plentiful breakfast supplied. Also parking can be a bit costly, but which city centre isn't these days. A very convenient place to stay, most sights no more than 20 minutes walk away. Buses stop outside and the Metro is only a hundred yards or so down the road. For someone like me, over 65's travel free on most transport.

Room Tip: May be worth upgrading to Privelege, but as Budapest is now a non-smoking inside city all facilities...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay at Mercure Budapest Metropol. I was happy to read that the hotel met your expectations regarding location, service staff Privilége room and Lounge services. As you felt comfortable in Metropol, your comments surely will be beneficial for other travelers’ choice on this site. We are looking forward to welcome you again in our hotel.
Best Regards, Maria Blaskovics HotelGM
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

When we arrived in Budapest, we found out that the reservation we had paid for at the Novatel Budapest Centrum had not been booked. The group we had planned our trip through bumped us to the Mercure Metropol, saying it was a comparable hotel.

Here are the good things:

1. The hotel is located in a fairly convenient location, walkable to many places and just next door to a grocery store and metro station.
2. The daytime staff was friendly and competent

What Disappointed me:

-The "WiFi" in every room was a joke. This is an important feature of booking any hotel for me these days, and I had to wander around the room with my phone or ipad until I got a signal, which would then disappear after 1 or 5 or 10 minutes of use. Extremely Frustrating.
-The walls and floor were filthy and worn looking, which gives an overall impression that you're not staying in a "clean" place.
- There was no safe in the room for valuables
- The air conditioning worked, but was sub-par
- The "king" size bed was 2 twin beds jammed together. I realize this is not uncommon, but there was a huge gap in the center which made it a pain to try to sleep as a couple.
-When we got in (at around 9:30pm or so) on Friday night and asked a question to the night person on duty, she gave the impression we were bothering her. It's not pleasant when you are made to feel like a bother by the hotel staff. The same person did wake herself up when we came down at 5:30am for a cab, and called one for us.

I would not stay in this hotel again. It served its function as a place to touch down in Budapest, and was fairly convenient, but overall staying there was an average to sub-par experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Ok room standard and clean, but the air condition was not working in any room. Not even the reception was cool.

Breakfast was actually quite good. But that's it. Can't recommend this hotel! Select another one more central close to the river and make sure AC is working!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Curitiba
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Budapest it's very exciting city and Mercure Metropol it is a good hotel with a good price. I liked the room but I think the hotel could renovate carpets and bathroom. Rakoczi utca it is very near everything ... I walked to some beautiful places without bus or metro. I did not have a breakfast at hotel because on the streets there was a lot of little restaurants and delis where the breakfast it is cheap.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Just an average business hotel. Poorly stocked mini bar, no coffee facilities in room. Free wifi. Walking distance from train station and a 20 minute walk downhill to the Danube. Interesting restaurants and bars in the surrounding back streets.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo