“Great hostel and great location!” 4 of 5 stars

Red Bus Hostel
Semmelweis utca 14., Budapest, Hungary (Belváros-Lipótváros)   |
Ranked #177 of 509 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Great hostel and great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Red Bus very much and would certainly recommend this to other Budapest travelers. The room was clean and featured both a private bathroom and toilet. The staff was very friendly and took the time to indicate the city's highlights and go-to streets and places on a map. During the nights, you can enter the hostel using your key. However, if you are traveling in a group and somehow split up during the night so that one part of your group needs to enter the hostel without a key, then there is always someone guarding the place who can let you in. Be advised that he may be sleeping and that you possibly need to ring the front doorbell more than once.
Overall, we think it is a great place to stay, especially considering its central location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Maracay, Venezuela
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We got a very nice, perfectly clean room.
Comfortable beds and bathroom.
Fully working Wifi.
Our host, Monika, was great with us, she wasn't at the hostal when we got there, but a nice man in the bulding gave her a phone call and she arrived within minutes.

We stayed only for a night, and didnt had much time to hang out in the hostel, but it seemed a cool, friendly place. I'd definitively go back if I happen to be in Budapest again.

Recommended for budget-travelling people! Some of my friends were not used to staying in hostals, and were a bit put off by the lack of luxury common in fancy hotels. Be warned!
- Summers are hot. There is no air conditioning, and the street outside is quite noisy during the night.

However, this are things that are perfectly normal on the average hostal, and I had a perfect night's sleep.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The location is ideal there were some difficulties with wifi while we were there so we got a discount which more then made up for the incovience of walking the two blocks to McDonalds to steal wifi. I also want to say that my hostelling days I thought were a little passed (like about 5 years passed). This is not what I remember hostels being like, I would put this half way between hostel and hotel. The rooms were in no way improved the bathrooms were across the hall and there did not seem like there were many but there was only once when I had to wait a few minutes. BUT IT WAS MUCH CLEANER then expected, the staff was very helpful, and the room was quite spacious for two single beds.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The biggest problem I had with the hostel was with the shower because it flooded and you had to stand in water other people had been showering in. There was only one shower for women, and only one bathroom for women - however, I didn't ever have a problem getting into the shower / bathroom. The bed that I slept on was extremely uncomfortable (the other 2 beds in the room I stayed in were ok). Please add a FAN! It was so HOT! However, the location was great and the staff was helpful! I think my stay was made worse because there was a group of loud boys next door that partied until at least 2AM. General info: there is no 24 hour reception, there was only one power outlet for the entire room (3 people staying in the room), no lockers, & towels are 400 HUF (decent price!) Good wifi signal!
Also - visit the market that is around the corner on the main street - it is really nice and cheap!

Room Tip: Bring a portable fan if you are staying in the summer - so so hot. Rent a towel if you don't hav...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

very nice and warm place with superb location - the street located in the centre of Budapest. I really had a great time. the only problem was that wi-fi was not working. I believe it will be fixed.
Staff is ok! All the guests were nice people to have a chat.
P.S. There is cool Red Bus bookshop in the same building.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed here with a friend in May 2007 and we had a great time. The location is excellent, the hostel is clean and the guy at the reception was always willing to help us out with all of our trip. It is not a party hostel which means we got a great night sleep!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Red bus is very warm and nice place ! I was in february there for 3 days and i really had very good time and prices are really ok.Rooms are very clean, and guys on reception service are very kind and helpful! I`ll probably be back for some time .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Red Bus Hostel? Share your experiences!