“Some good, some bad” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 330 Hotels in Budapest
seattle
“Some good, some bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Spent two nights each at the Budapest Castle and Westend. I would say that both are of a mediocre quality as an European Hilton with the exception of the location of the first. (See report at the Hilton Budapest review)

Check-in: Use the executive lounge is you so qualify. The Westend I was greeted warmly and given information about the hotel and local activities.

Room: Given a nice Jr Suite that was, unfortunately, directly below the exercise facility (which is open 24 hours a day) that resulted in constant treadmill pounding and thuds from the heavy balls. Change room to a larger suite on the second floor with a less than spectacular view of the emergency escape stairs. Staff agreed that many complaints arise of these room locations.

Executive Lounge: Standard Hilton Executive lounge offering. Nothing really above average for food and beverage. Staff was helpful.

Location: Attached to the Westend shopping center. Good access to transportation.

Diamond treatment: I give poor marks for prior to arrival room assignment. The Westend made no attempt to acknowledge the poor room location. Welcome gift: Small plate of sweet/savory with complimentary water.

Overall: 6/10 based upon European Hilton standards.

Room Tip: Not on the floor under the gym
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
janthomsen_hilton, General Manager at Hilton Budapest City, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking your time to write us a review on Tripadvisor, your comments are highly appreciated. I was glad to hear that you liked the welcoming atmosphere and personalized treatment in our Executive Lounge.

As a Diamond member you have been enjoying the pleasure to be upgraded to our best Suites, I am truly sorry to hear that you have been not fully satisfied with the rooms and been disturbed by a noise, let me apologize for the inconvenience it might have caused you.

Otherwise I hope you are enjoying your stay and the services in the hotel. In case there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable, please let me know in advance.

Jan Ebsen Thomsen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

A friend told us not to stay on the Buda side of Budapest - boy was she right! The Hilton
Westend is connected to a very 'Western' shopping mall. But Budapest has lovely shops that are so characterful - we visited the "Castle Hilton" (thinking we may have a coffee) but it was way out of proportion for the surroundings.
This Hilton was in a good location - service was outstanding, staff friendly - good value for money!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
janthomsen_hilton, General Manager at Hilton Budapest City, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write on Tripadvisor, I am glad that you were impressed by the good location, and enjoyed the shopping around the city. Thank you for your kind note on my team, and the excellent service experienced.

We look forward to welcome you again once you return to Budapest!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Great hotel with friendly helpful service. Good location with quick access to he metro. Would stay here again if returning to Budapest. The breakfast was included and was a pretty extensive and quality selection of hot and cold buffet. The room was nice and clean with very comfortable superking size bed. The hotel also is part of the west end shopping centre, which canbe accessed via the reception area. Would recomend this hotel to anyone visiting Budapest.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recommendations, I was thrilled to read that you had such a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for emphasizing our extensive quality breakfast, comfortable rooms and good location.

We are looking forward to welcome again at the Hilton Budapest WestEnd!

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Whether travelling on business (as I was) or for leisure, this hotel meets all expectations. The hotel is conveniently located to use the Budapest metro system, with a stop just outside the door of the hotel. It is also connected to a very large shopping/dining mall, which if the weather is not so kind is very handy to grab something to eat and drink. The hotel reception staff are very friendly and helpful. They know what they are doing. The rooms are of a good standard and of a really good size. A nice touch on arrival was the free bottle of wine, water and desert (I think due to HH status?). The rooms were always cleaned very well and the general upkeep of the hotel should be applauded. Breakfast was also very good with a lot of choice ( including sparkling wine if you wanted it). The service at breakfast was also very good. The in room wi-fi was very good (included in my package, but quite expensive if paying for it daily). The room service food I had was good, not excellent but good. However, all in all, I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and would stay there again for either business or leisure.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
janthomsen_hilton, General Manager at Hilton Budapest City, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to read that your stay was spotless, and appreciated much our great location, and the professionalism of my team as well as the good quality breakfast. I am also glad that you were satisfied with the in room wifi connection, we kindly inform you that we offer free wireless access 24 hours a day also in our Lobby, Zita Café and Kando Bar.
Thank you again for your recommendations, we hope to see you again in the future!
Sincerely yours,

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed in two consecutive Hiltons in Vienna and this one in the Pest side of Budapest. It's location is good, next to the West End shopping centre and train station and on the metro and tram lines. It is newish, and the rooms a good size and clean. Some minor issues were the tired towels and the infuriating lack of free WiFi. Surely a 5 star hotel that caters to business, and receives lots of tourists should provide this service.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
janthomsen_hilton, General Manager at Hilton Budapest City, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us after your Vienna trip in Budapest, I am glad that you liked our location and found our rooms comfortable and clean. Free Wifi is available in our entire Lobby, Zita Café and Kando Bar 24 hours for our guests, I am sorry if you have not been informed while staying with us. Thank you for your comments on the towels, I will follow up in this respect with our Housekeeping Department.
All in all I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay, and look forward to welcome you again at our hotel.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The hotel is in a good location and has a shopping mall with more than 300 shops and restaurants attached to it. The staff are friendly. The breakfast is good. If you stay for a coneference like I did the lunch buffet was pretty much the same every day. Rooms comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time write about your impressions of your recent stay at Hilton Budapest WestEnd. I am glad to hear that you were satisfied and could enjoy the benefits of the shopping mall next door. Thank you for your valuable comments on the lunch buffet, I will make sure to reinforce the qualiity of our services in this respect.

We hope to welcome you again at our hotel on a private trip next time, perhaps.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

After a 6 hour Eurolines bus ride from Krakow, Poland, I arrived into Népliget coach station in Budapest at night and took the subway from the Népliget metro station directly to Nyugati metro station to reach the Hilton hotel. The West End Mall is connected to both the subway station and the Hilton hotel, so I did not have to walk outside when I did exit the station. I did not even bother to eat at the hotel since there were numerous restaurants in the mall to choose from.

The room was nice and spacious, clean, comfortable bed, a variety of English channels to choose from, and free wifi in the lobby only. It's very easy to get to the main attractions by subway. Plus, I received a great hotel rate, so I was very pleased with my stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
janthomsen_hilton, General Manager at Hilton Budapest City, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read your compliments about your recent stay at the Hilton Budapest WestEnd. Thank you for pointing out our good location with direct metro connection, and comfortable rooms, which you could enjoy after such a long ride from Krakow. I am glad that you liked our TV channel selection and could make use of the free Wifi in the Lobby, which we also provide 24 hours in our Zita Café and Kando Bar.

I am looking forward to have the chance to welcome you soon again!

Jan Ebsen Thomsen

Been to Hilton Budapest City? Share your experiences!