“Brilliant” 4 of 5 stars

Summer Sale - Save 20%
Ranked #52 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
“Brilliant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Great place to start your Budapest adventure close enough to walk to all the places you'd want to visit. Staff are helpful and attentive, get the shuttle bus to and from the airport as it may be slightly more expensive but it's reliable and less confusing. Visit instant (a club) for a great evening.

janthomsen_hilton, General Manager at Hilton Budapest City, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest feedback. I am glad to hear that it was easy to discover Budapest staying at our hotel in the middle of everything. Also great that you had a good night out in Instant, which is a one of the unique ruin pubs in Budapest. I hope that you will return to us soon again!

Jan Ebsen Thomsen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed in the Hilton Westend Hotel in November after 3 nights in the Westin Hotel in Warsaw that was advertised as a 4 star. The hotel was simple but clean upon arrival late in the evening. The staff were friendly and gave us maps etc. The restaurant was advertised as being open till 11pm but when we walked down to it at 10.15pm they said they were closed in a not so friendly manner.

We then couldn't reach room service directly from our room so had to call the front desk and they tracked someone down 35 mins later. The food arrived within 15 mins but it was terrible. I have had better meals at the high street takeaway. The chicken was way over cooked, the pasta was over boiled and had no flavour and the water in the bottle was salty.

The bathroom was huge but the in bath shower had no form of screen/curtin so the floor was flooded every time we used it. All our towels had to be used each time to stop the water flowing from the bathroom door onto the carpet.

The room furnishings were very dated. The bed was lovely and large but the bed head itself was covered in pine green vinyl with pine wood border. Not a good look. The amenities were basic in the room and there was free wifi but only in the foyer/bar area.

House keeping were way too efficient. We wanted to have a lay in on our last day and take advantage of the 12 noon checkout but were woken on the half hr from 8am to 11.55am not by knocking, but by the housekeeping staff opening the door and being stopped but the door chain. Our constant response of "we are checking out at 12" fell on deaf ears. We did not feel welcome at all after that.

The location was the best thing about this hotel. Close to a major train station and close to the Opera and main shopping street. The hotel has direct access to the adjoined WestEnd shopping mall but that itself didn't offer much in the way of food options other than McDonalds.

Our impressions were that it was a cheap travel deal so can't complain too much about the hotel. It isn't 5 star by means of its décor, service or amenities but it is a good location. And don't expect them to act on a complaint. They didn't respond at all to us when we complained about the room service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a shower screen.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Aracaju, SE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

It's definitely a Hilton Hotel! Spacious rooms, wonderful bathrooms, delightful breakfast! Everything you want from a HiltonHotel you get.It's almost inside a Mall, just in front of the subway station, that was good for me, because I got to Budapest by bus and it was a straight line from bus terminal. Nevertheless, the neighborhood is not that graceful, with lots of homeless just around the corner and not close to touristic points. That's the only demeanor!

Room Tip: I got a bedroom on forth floor that was very calm and silent.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
janthomsen_hilton, General Manager at Hilton Budapest City, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

I was glad to hear that you have found our location next to the shopping mall great, could benefit from using the metro next door and were impressed by our large, spacious rooms and quality breakfast.

However, I am sorry that you have found the touristic places visited a bit away from us. For next time let us recommend you to visit the Parliament or the Andrassy Avenue, which is just a short walk away. To find homeless people in the vicinity of train stations is unfortunately inevitable in all large capitals eg. Budapest, however, I appreciate your feedback and hope that authorities will find a final solution soon.

All in all I hope that you have been enjoying to stay with us, and will have the honour to welcome you again at our hotel.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Nothing in the hotel stood out as being great or bad. It's right next to the train station and the mall (which is not really great!).

The hotel itself is quite old. The room is comfortable but the hotel is quite a distance away from most places. The staff is very helpful, though, and is very ready with recommendations. The hotel has no swimming pool, which is not nice. And the Wifi is chargeable, which isn't nice either.

Altogether, it's not a bad hotel, but it's not exceptional either.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
janthomsen_hilton, General Manager at Hilton Budapest City, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write on Tripadvisor. I am glad to read that you were impressed by the attentive service of my team while staying with us. In case you didn’t already do, may I recommend you during your next trip perhaps take a short 10 minutes stroll from the hotel and walk along the famous Andrassy Avenue with the Opera House, where you can discover a tempting array of high end shops, cafés and entertainment venues etc.

I hope our team informed you about the Metro line and the Tram line, which is just next to the hotel. If not, please accept my apologies. I am sorry that you could not take advantage of the free Wi-Fi during your stay, which we are offering in the entire Lobby, and all our outlets as well as in our Executive Lounge.

I am also sorry to hear, that the shopping mall was not your taste. It’s true that we do not have a pool on the spot, but let me kindly call your attention to newly refurbished state of the art Fitness Centre with sauna where its easy to relax after a busy day.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us, we are looking forward to welcome you again at our hotel!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Excellent hotel in good central location - really handy for shopping and metro links. Nothing was too much trouble for the hotel staff and breakfast buffet had plenty of choice and was of a good quality.

Room Tip: We were on 1st floor - great room and very quiet as we were at end of a long corridor. Main tip I ca...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
janthomsen_hilton, General Manager at Hilton Budapest City, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind note and recommendations. I am glad to hear that you were impressed by the good quality breakfast and our excellent location in the middle of everywhere. Reading your unlucky experience picking a taxi at the airport, I fully agree with you either recommending our hotel taxis or the official ones at the airport.

Looking forward to welcome you whenever your plan to visit us again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We arrived in Budapest on a Thursday night in October the day before a rather special birthday. Unfortunately and unbelievably I had left a shoulder bag in the back of a taxi in a late and tired journey to the hotel from the airport. In an instant the taxi had gone. The bag contained a new iPad, a new DSLR camera, an iPod, assorted keys, a pair of headphones, and all of my birthday cards from friends and family which I had taken to open the day after. Obviously this was not the start we expected and was a real blow. However, the hotel staff simply could not do enough for us. They contacted the taxi firms, the police, provided an interpreter for me to go to the police station the following day, and then, obviously realising it was a spoiled special day, left a bottle of chilled champagne a fresh fruit bowl and a birthday card from the front desk staff in our room on the evening of my birthday. This was a really unexpected, special and personal touch. In addition the hotel itself is anyway really excellent and in a great position! The train station is literally next door, and there is a tube station just outside, which means you can get anywhere in Budapest in about ten minutes. Such personal and caring service is rare these days, and it was really appreciated. Can I thank the hotel manager and all of the front desk staff, and especially Gaspar Botond, for helping us to overcome the initial disappointment on arrival, and for helping to make the weekend really excellent! On our return home, our insurance company have now replaced everything for me! Thankfully! I cannot recommend not only the hotel highly enough, but also the excellent service of all of the staff. Definitely the hotel for us next time in Budapest! Once again many thanks..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write. I can deeply understand that it must have been a been a huge hassle to loose your bag in a taxi. But I was thrilled to read that the special care and attention of Botond and my team at Front Desk saved your weekend and your stay turned into a really memorable one. I cant be thankful enough for your recommendations. Looking forward to welcome you again at our hotel!

Polen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was in West End Hilton couple of times when travelling to Budapest.
Advantages:
- friendly staff
- clean bedrooms, comfortable bed, quite rooms
- very good location, close to the train station, walking distance to the river, the island and the Parliament
- Hotel is also next door to the shopping mall (West End Hilton)
- outside summer time the prices are convenient
- good breakfasts
- when you have upgraded room (I had once) you get access to the executive lounge on the 4th floor. You have there soft drink, alcoholic drinks and finger food free of charge, and the most stunning is the view towards, river and beautiful hills - breathtaking!!!
Disadvantages;
- it can be loud in the hotel rooms facing the ice ring (of course in winter time)
- price of the accommodation could be a challenge
- food in the restaurant (for lunch of dinner) is not stunning
Generally I’d go back to this hotel.
I didn't use spa so I cannot say anything about it, and there is no swimming pool in this hotel as far as I know:)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
janthomsen_hilton, General Manager at Hilton Budapest City, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time for a detailed review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that in general you were very satisfied with our services and facilities. It is great to hear that the you were impressed by the stunning view from the Executive Lounge to the Buda hills and the Parliament. The same splendid view you can enjoy from our Rooftop Fitness Centre with Sauna on the same level, I hope next time you will have the chance to take a session of exercise or relaxation there.

As our rooms are having garden or city and street view, I am sure we will find for you the most convenient and quiet room during your next stay. In case you can book your stay in advance, we have constantly fair promotions running during the year, especially for the weekends. Please check our website or contact us directly in case you have already planned your next visit.

Thank you again for your honest recommendations, we are looking forward to welcome you again!