“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Private Walking Tour: Budapest City Highlights
Ranked #59 of 288 Activities in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: The palace-like edifice contains a huge thermal pool where people often play chess while immersed in chest-high, and very hot, water.
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Considering we went here in the first week of march and temperatures were about 8 degrees, you didn't actually feel the cold too much in the outdoor pool.
Fees for two people using one "cabinet" which is a lockable dressing room are 9,100HUF there's no time limit, so you could literally spend the whole day there.
The outside pool is about 37 degrees. There is also a swimming pool - you must wear a swimming cap if you're going to use it.
Inside there are 3 parts. Lower floor there is a sauna, steam room and a cold pool, there's also a supply of salts so that you can give yourself a good scrub.
Upstairs there are two parts, to the left are the newer medicinal pool, in all there are about 10 pool ranging from 26 degrees to 38 degrees, all medicinal, there is also a few cold pools and steam rooms. To the right are the old pools - impressive red marble and sculpted columns with 1 large pool, a slightly smaller pool and a small pool, there is also a cold pool here too.

The only thing I would recommend is that you take two towels with you if you plan to use the sauna, as my towel was soaked after being in there!

Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
11 attraction reviews
“Mixed feelings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I had high hopes for Budapests most famous spa. It is big the building itself is quite impressive however.... The indoor pools where packed, it was extremly stinky a very strong pee/funk smell. Was very very busy and people where loud. The lights where bright.... it was not even close to the relaxing, dim lighted, soft music spa I had hoped for. We tried to get massages but they where none available and they didn't offer half the massages as which where on there website. I found the people who worked there to be extremely rude. Perhaps this is because it was so busy they where rushing like crazy. When we left we asked an employee who wasn't busy for directions and he refused to help us.
The outdoor pools where by far the best part of this experience.... very big, warm and beautiful. There was quite a few couples having heated kisses so perhaps some people could find it "romantic" but in my experience it was not what I expected from a spa. Would not go back again

Visited March 2013
Ashburn, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
“Intimidating process all in hungarian, but worth the effort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We read about the incredible public baths and thought we might try one and this is Rick Steves' favorite. Unfortunately, we waited until our last full day to pay a visit. We stayed at the Marriott and we had a driver drop us off and pick us up. Once you arrive, you are confronted with a vast array of various spa treatments on a large board written in english. So you think the cashier speaks english, right? I am told that some do. Fortunately, at this point men and women are together and my wife's many hours on the Pimsleur Hungarian tapes payed off. We now have pool bracelets. This is where we split by gender and I get a little nervous. The boys and I go to the mens locker room to change into our swimsuits and get towels (the Marriott did not provide us any). Unfortunately, the towel deposit was rather hefty and if it wasnt for the wad of cash that my teenage son was carrying, we would have been under the hair dryers at the end of the day. We then went to the lockers. I swiped my bracelet in front of the locker but it would not open. Fortunately, there was a Hungarian father and son in the area to help us. Apparently, many of the lockers are broken so you need to keep trying empty lockers until one will work for you. Dont forget your locker number before going back out.
Once inside the pool area, we had a fantastic time going from pool to pool. If you plan on laps (the coolest water temp), be sure to bring a bathing cap or be prepared to buy a flimsy alternative. Into the evening, the pool lighting gets very colorful. While the building appears to be in slight disrepair, this public pool was one of the highlights of our visit and was a great way to cool off in July.

Visited July 2012
Fair Oaks, California
12 attraction reviews
“Beautiful To See Awful to Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a beautiful landmark of Budapest. Great to visit and view. Would not recommend actually going there. This place is a dump. It smells like a boys gym locker. The intake system is a joke. You have to walk from one end to the other (in your bathing suit in the winter) with a little piece of paper to schedule your massage. The massage area was dim and dreary (shades of the Communist era.) The massage itself was less than mediocre. The dressing room had ads for medication to treat athlete's foot. The outdoor pools were okay, Proceed at your own risk. Easy to slip if you are not really careful walking over sloshing water and small piieces of gravel.

Visited February 2013
Braila, Romania
3 attraction reviews
“A good idea to start a day of Christmas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I came to visit the Budapest. After analysis of the references I found interesting idea of outdoor baths to once again have a comforting tone. Szechenyi Bath is the largest thermal spring bath complex not only in Budapest, but in Europa as well.
Important - main swimming and thermal sections are possible to visit mixed. The Spas are offering thermal water (22°C-38°C).
Important! I chose this location and not the other (Gellert Bath) because it's located outside of the city center, right in the city park, which offers a great stroll.
It was a pleasant experience that I needed!
We loved it!