“Basic Services were fine, Do not buy the extras” 1 of 5 stars

Private Walking Tour: Budapest City Highlights
Ranked #3 of 48 Spas & Wellness in Budapest
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The palace-like edifice contains a huge thermal pool where people often play chess while immersed in chest-high, and very hot, water.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
“Basic Services were fine, Do not buy the extras”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was less than impressed with this place. My friend and I had traveled to Budapest on an overnight train from Prague, and we decided we wanted to spend a relaxing day here as we had heard to many good things about it. We paid for the entrance and a 30 minute massage. We were there on a Thursday, in November. We arrived about 2pm with the voucher from the hostel where we had purchased our tickets. The people at the office just pointed to the other side, so we went there and they pointed to the other side. We went to the entrance chick and they pointed to the other side. We were trying to ask where to go, what to do and they just kept sending us in circles. After 5 minutes of this I was about to give up but finally someone told us that we had to exchange the voucher (that looked like a ticket) for our actual entrance ticket (which is this watch thing that you wear). We finally go in, then we have to rent a bathingsuit and towl and change in the locker which takes forever because the place is so crowded. We finally figure it out though and head toward the place where we are supposed to get our massages. Again, we are sent in circles! The building is like 100 years old, so I can understand how it's confusing - but none of the signs are in english and the staff there clearly hate their jobs. Nobody was helpful, we had to ask like 5 different people before someone finally told us where to go. Then they sent us to the wrong place. This went on for like 15 minutes and I was about to be in tears - so much for a relaxing day! Finally when I told this woman that I do not understand and asked her to physically take me, she finally did. The massage was so not worth all that running around and stress. It was a bit uncomfortable actually, it is not like in the States where you get undressed on your own and then have a blanket covering you! After the massage we went around to the different pools, steam room, saunas. They were okay, but SUPER crowded. It was loud and not relaxing at all. In the brochure it says there are rooms with baths just for females and males, but when we asked the staff said there were none. We went into the big bath outside where we stayed under the fountains for awhile and that was nice, but again - not relaxing. It was full of teenagers flirting with eachother and pretending to be adults. I think we didn't really like it because our expectations were so vastly different than what we encountered.

So if you want a relaxing day, this is not the place to come. But, if a family the kids will enjoy it as it's just basically like a giant warm pool. Buy only the basic entrance and bring your own bathingsuit and towel. Exploring the different rooms and the pools in the old building could be fun, just don't expect to have any quiet time. Also don't expect anything from the staff, because they were all rude and not helpful at all. If you can, try to go first thing when they open in the morning so you can avoid some of the crowds. It's still probably worth it just to say that you went (it isn't very expensive), but there are plenty of other wonderful things in Budapest.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Tervuren, Belgium
“Not imaginable rude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I visited here with my wife and 2 year baby.
It was accepted to go into with baby and this was very good.
I took luxury massage and this was also good.
But, when I came back to cabin to change cloth, it was out of order.
I asked to security old woman but she was very rude and I have to wait almost 20 min.
When she came back she didn't carry master key and did just her own work without any word for me.
When I ask again what's going on, she said she cannot help me so, just wait.
Can you imagine?
So, I asked to young guy who worked at the entrance and explained that I have to go to airport for the flight and he told me he asked to the manager.
I wait 20 min. more again but nobody came to us.
When I asked to young guy again he told me maybe manager was busy and he also cannot accompany with me so find manager by myself.
Can you imagine?
When I found manager he told me it will take some time to take master key from other building but that building is just closely opposite side.
It takes also almost 20 min.
I and my wife and my 2 year baby have to wait just wearing swim wear in this season for more than 1 hour with worry about missing flight.
It was horribly rude and impolite.

P.S. When I went to service center there was so many people in cue. It might be there was problem with locker and cabin. So, when you using locker or cabin, check first whether it is working or not.

Cape Town, South Africa
42 attraction reviews
“Excellent spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

An excellent, highly recommended spa. It's close to a city metro station, has huge outdoor pools, both warm and cold and many smaller indoor pools at different temperatures. There are good lockers and plenty of indoor and outdoor relaxing areas. I will definitely visit this spa anytime I am in Budapest again.

Visited June 2012
south wales
“great day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

lovely old historic building with amazing thermal pool, we visited on a very cold day ,we all changed into our costumes and we were all very dubious to go outside to the pool but the waters were absolutely stunning so hot ,what a very memorable day

Visited October 2012
Budapest, Hungary
“Simply fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very interesting spa, where you can find a big pools with thermal water, several sauna and steam baths. A historic place.