“Great room, great location, but service is very spotty” 3 of 5 stars

Le Meridien Budapest
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Erzsebet Ter 9-10, Budapest 1051, Hungary   |
Ranked #21 of 332 hotels in Budapest
Long Island, New York
“Great room, great location, but service is very spotty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We used Starwood points and upgraded (for $60 eruos) to a splendid room (833) with a wonderful view of the city. But it took four hours and three phone calls to get a pillow delivered that we were told on the first call would be delivered immediately. The rather dismal business center was unattended, and two days in a row had no paper on which to print boarding passes. The public rooms are quite nice, but the service at breakfast was so disorganized we decided against using the restaurant for dinner. If I could get 833 again, though, I'd come back and bring my own pillow and paper.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LMBudapest, Manager at Le Meridien Budapest, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Roger35,

Thank for sharing your comments about your recent stay in our hotel. I was sorry to read that our service didn't meet your expectations but I would like to assure you that this is not in line with our daily operation and standards. Customer care is our first priority and we are proud of our hospitality. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in our hotel in the future and we can extend our high level service to you.

1,542 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

After being in very nice boutique hotels in Prague and Vienna, we stayed here for our last 3 nights in eastern Europe. Our experience from the moment we alighted from the taxi until we sent on our way to the airport was first class. The rooms we had were spacious and luxuroius with great little balcony. The hotel is in such a location that if you did not know any better you would just wander around that central area. Cafes, bars, resaurants and shops abound. You are close to the river with an easy walk to the Chain bridge for a nice funicular ride up to the castle District.
Om weekends they have a buffet and local musical and danceing cultural evening in the lobby restaurant for $80. The bar is peaceful and elegant.

Last but not least the concierge was superb booking our Grand City Tour and Sunday afternoon tour to St Andre's. I wowuld go back immediately if I had the TIME.

Since I am an SPG member WIFI was free.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LMBudapest, Manager at Le Meridien Budapest, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Malachy F,

I am very pleased to read your positive feedback and thank you for sharing it with the TripAdvisor community. How nice it is to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay in the city with all that Budapest has to offer to travelers as well as the hotel amenities and services.
Thank you very much for your praising words and for highlighting the services provided by the Concierge, I will share your kind compliments with the team.
I am very happy to learn that you very truly satisfied and we managed to provide you what you needed during your stay with us and I do hope that we can welcome you back very soon at Le Meridien Budapest.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The hotel have a great location and the staff is very service minded. The rooms are old, but clean. Unfortunately the hotel have very slow Wifi connection both in the rooms and lobby area, I had to find another hotel in Budapest do to this reason.

This hotel is not recommended for business trips where you need Wifi. For vacation its a great location!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Your comments regarding your recent stay are very much appreciated. It was a pleasure to read that you were satisfied with the hotel´s location and you found the staff very service minded. We are currently in the process of upgrading our WiFi system that is going to finish shortly.
I do hope that we will be able to provide this upgraded service to you upon your next arrival.

Louisville KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We recently stayed at Le Meridien and found it to be in the absolute center of the Pest side of the Danube. The room was large and well furnished and the public areas are first class. Perhaps the hotel is too well positioned... it sits above the major underground station in the City, and from the 3rd floor the sound transmits early in the morning. Ask for a room on an upper floor. The policy of providing free wifi only in the bar area seems outdated. Excellent breakfast buffet.
All things considered this is a top notch property.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
LMBudapest, Manager at Le Meridien Budapest, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I truly appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at Le Meridien Budapest. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time spent in Budapest and the facilities and the central location of our Hotel.
I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed in the hotel this past July and I must say that it was in the middle of everything.The location was just perfect. The staff was very very friendly and professional. We upgraded to a business suite since we were staying only 2 nights and we got the complimentary brunch with it. The breakfast/brunch was just AMAZING!!!! I work in the restaurant business and was very much impressed with the entire set up. Very impressive display of fresh juices, cold cuts, cheeses, breads....I wish I could go back tomorrow...:-) The only thing I must say I was not comfortable with was the mattress. Whenever was my husband turning he woke me up and other way around too. (...and we are pretty good calm sleepers) It was too soft and very fluffy. Overall it was best choice and I would definitely go back next time I am in Budapest.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear DebbiePan,

Thank you for your kind comments and positive feedback regarding your stay in July with us.
I am really pleased to read that you were so amazed by our breakfast and Sunday Brunch as well as the facilities and the setup at Le Bourbon restaurant.
It is always a pleasure to learn that the service our staff provides is professional and friendly, so your words are highly motivating and please be assured that I will share it with the entire team.
Thank you for highlighting the amazing location of our Hotel, it is indeed in the middle of the city and I hope it was a great starting point for you to visit different sights while you were in Budapest.
I am sorry to hear that the mattress was not up to your expectations and that effected your sleeping quality. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back at our Hotel and please feel free to reach out to the Front Desk or to me directly with any concerns regarding the room or any other issues. My direct e-mail address is gabor.redling@lemeridien.com .

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed here recently for 5 nights .. this was our second visit with the first being 2 years ago. One note ... we are SPG platinum members and stayed on points.
The hotel is in a great location, lots around the location (restaurants, stores, etc). Check-in was fast and efficient. The room was nice .. we were upgraded to I think a deluxe room .. seems the rooms are getting a little worn since the last visit but overall still nice (IE shower door lets lots of water through to the floor, tub condition, etc)
Couple issues: Service in the restaurant .. some days we could not get coffee at breakfast in the AM .. other days it was right away when we sat down ... a little inconsistent for sure. Wifi - REALLY. REALLY slow .. maybe the worst of any hotel I have stayed at
The service desk is great .. they can help book trips etc. They even arranged for towels (with a deposit) for the baths with was very nice
Overall, great location, nice hotel ... solid 4.5 ... we will stay here again in the future

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review, we do appreciate your comments and they will be shared with all our associates. I was happy to read that you found the service desk great and you did appreciate the location of the hotel. Regarding the WiFi system I’m pleased to inform you that we are currently in the process of upgrading the system and we will be able to provide it with a full capacity. I hope you had a good time in the city and we are looking forward to your next visit.

melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Chose this because of central location. On registration I asked about wifi the receptionist says "20 euro for that" . I said I have been in many less than 5 star and they have free wifi. I decided after 1 day to pay I couldn't get wifi even with a router sent up. I was given a refund. There is free wifi in bar. Room excellent, concierge service outstanding , breakfast outstanding and love the Adria bar -jazz after 8 pm. When we missed our train and had to come back the hotel was very obliging.
You can hear the underground train rumbling but it didn't keep us awake.
Would love a top sheet as often a duvet is too hot.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your time for sharing your comments on the TripAdvisor review site.
It was a pleasure to read that you found the service of our Concierge staff excellent, your feedback is highly appreciated and will be shared with my colleagues. Thank you for your positive words about the breakfast as well as Adria Palace Bar, I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed it and appreciated the jazz music during the evening.
I apologize for the shortcomings regarding the WIFI and thank you for your feedback. Currently we are in the process of improving the WiFi system in our rooms and we will be able to provide it with a full capacity. For your next visit if you prefer a sheet instead of a duvet, please do not hesitate to contact the Guest Service or the Front Desk Team and they will be more than happy to assist you.
I hope you enjoyed your stay in Budapest and in our Hotel. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to Le Meridien Budapest? Share your experiences!