“Great Location, Great Service” 5 of 5 stars

Le Meridien Budapest
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Erzsebet Ter 9-10, Budapest 1051, Hungary   |
Ranked #24 of 329 Hotels in Budapest
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Location, Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My friends and I recently stayed at the Le Meridien Budapest for New Year's Eve. We were delighted with our stay and the extremely high level of customer service, fantastic location, and beautiful property.

As a Starwood Platinum member, the Le Meridien really took care of me and my party. We enjoyed a delicious complimentary buffet every morning and great service from the concierge (who basically planned our entire stay in Budapest).

The next time I come to Budapest, I'm absolutely staying here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

A two night stay at a good rate encouraged me to try this Starwood property.

Well situated in the city centre near the river and Parliament building the hotel is imposing. Check in was quick and room was excellent on the 9th floor. Wi-Fi isn’t free - why not? Good furnishings and an excellent shower, unfortunately the hot water only got warm! Tea and coffee making in room – good!

Breakfast buffet is very good but the staff are more interested in talking to each other than fetching coffee/tea or clearing tables. This was something I noticed at other times in the hotel; reception and concierge staff clumped together in little groups chatting and ignoring guests. Bad management and training I guess.

Heating/aircon in room was not efficient.

Pleasant bar in the evening.

Room Tip: Book high!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The location of this hotel is about the only 5star rating I would give it. The room itself was very dated and smelled, stale. The walls were cracked and had various stains on them. The front desk staff upon checkin was very helpful and pre arival they arranged for a driver to pick me up at the airport. Finding out later it would have been cheaper to just take a taxi i was a bit dissapointed the hotel staff lied to me saying it would be twice as much for a taxi. The internet did not work in my room and when I called they said they would send someone up right away to fix it. 3 hours later I called again and they repeated the same thing, I gave up for that night and went out to explore.

The location is perfect to get to all the restaurants and shops I wanted to see. The street vendors were very friendly and had lots of fun food and drinks to try. The mulled wine is a must especially if its colder outside. The next day my internet still didnt work and i went to the front desk to ask why no one had looked at it. They looked at me with a blank stare like it was a new issue. The hotel manager was near by and came over and asked what the problem was and I explained the situation, about 20 minutes later a serviceman was in the room fixing things.

I had a very early flight departing Budapest and asked for an early check out which they said was no issue. When I got to the desk to check out no one was arround and I had to go searching for staff to help me. I found them sleeping in an office with the door closed almost all the way.

I would return to budapest in a heartbeat, but never again will I stay at a meriden hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
LMBudapest, Manager at Le Meridien Budapest, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback.
I’m sorry to read that you didn’t fully enjoyed your stay with us. Be ensure that the quality of our product and the level of service is our top priority in order to deliver a unique five star experience to our guests.
I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Le Meridien Budapest in the near future.

Best regards,
Hotel Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I've stayed at quite a few Le Meridiens and they never disappoint, especially the Le Meridien Budapest. The hotel is in a fantastic location with quick access to Buda (just across the river) as well as all the Pest attractions and shopping.

The check in staff were very nice and they all remembered my name for the rest of my stay. I loved the character of the hotel. It's decorated as many Le Meridiens are, in "old world" antique charm. I was on the SPG preferred guest floor and the rooms were very spacious.

I got breakfast for free and it was lovely, but I would not have paid the 25 EUR for it.

Overall, no complaints! Perfect stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Bratislava, Slovakia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

As a young couple usually staying at other 5 star hotel chains when visiting Budapest, we were advised to try Le Meridien. Excellent location, and luxury signature are definitely to be acknowledged. We stayed 2 nights from 27th to 29th of December 2012 and were happy with the room and comfort.

That being written, Front Desk staff is handling issues in a rather disappointing way, for a 5 star hotel.

We were told, by front desk, upon arrival that our room was prepaid, and that there would be no action for us to take at checkout. My visa was only used for pre-authorization. When checking out, we were told by a different receptionist that the room had actually not been prepaid (with no way to check). We were informed that it needed to be paid on the spot. My visa was charged, and we asked about the per-authorization. The receptionist confirmed that it would be cancelled. However, it was not. The pre-authorization amount was finally charged to my visa as well.

Upon advice from my bank, I immediately contacted the hotel concierge. In turn, he advised me to send a copy of my bank statement per email. I did, and the statement is clearly showing 2 transactions. 1 corresponding to the room price, which is correct. And 1 corresponding to the pre-authorization, which is incorrect. Both were charged and debited from my account. The pre-authorization actually appears with check-out value date (29.12.2012), showing that something must have happened when processing my card regarding the correct the room charge.

The hotel confirmed that they would handle the matter, and that their bank would be asked to cancel the pre-authorization. According to the hotel's email, this should have taken no more than 24 hours.

24 hours later, the money not being back on my account, I contacted the hotel again, and was told the pre-authorization would be cancelled once more. This produced no more effect than the previous attempt.

I was finally told by the hotel that they had done their job, and that this was now a problem for me to solve with my bank. My bank can not solve the problem, as both transactions were already charged and executed.The hotel simply ignored my last request to take ownership of this matter and refund the amount of the pre-authorization as soon as possible.

At no point did I receive any sincere apology from the hotel. Even more disappointing, at no point did the hotel offer any compensation for the mistake and inconvenience. In the last 10 years, a similar issue happened only once, at a Sofitel. The amount was immediately credited back to my card, and the room fee was also reimbursed as an apology. With Le Meridien, nothing of that sort happened. I will probably not be able to retrieve the unduly charged amount, and the matter was never escalated to senior management level for consideration.

Not what would be expected from a 5 star hotel at all, and not encouraging us to stay at Le Meridien again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Many thanks for taking the time to give your valuable and constructive feedback on TripAdvisor. It’s a pleasure to read, that you enjoyed your recent stay at Le Meridien Budapest.
Usually, a previous reservation on a credit card is reversed by the bank automatically in the moment this card is used for payment at the hotel. In your case it appears that this did not happen, but we can assure you that we made all the necessary and possible steps with our bank and your bank to speed up the release process and trust that this will be solved shortly.

Best regards,
Hotel Management
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel was incredibly ideal. It's in the town center with direct access to many of Budapest most worthy attractions. The interior is very stylish from the lobby to each individual room. The hotel staff are super friendly - we had a great encounter where we had 1 room for 3 people and the a porter and a maid came in to our room to move in a small movable bed which involved rearranging the room in a hilarious fashion. The breakfast buffet was decent, but it was included in our stay and would have been delicious if I only had eaten it once or so. Also, if you need any access to any other area of town, there is a main metro stop literally outside the front door.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Athens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Spent 5 nights at this hotel in particularly busy period and would definately recommend it.

Location is perfect, trsansportation, shops,sights, restaurants all close by.
Hotel is a classy old building, well kept with a very nice atrium, quite luxurious and spacious rooms and some have a nice view overlooking the park. Staff is polite and helpful by all means.

Pricing is reasonable in total, would definately reccomend visiting.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Meridien Budapest? Share your experiences!