“Top service, top staff, top hotel and wonderful city!” 5 of 5 stars

Le Meridien Budapest
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Erzsebet Ter 9-10, Budapest 1051, Hungary   |
Ranked #25 of 329 Hotels in Budapest
Bruxelles
“Top service, top staff, top hotel and wonderful city!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

Introduction:

I checked TripAdvisor to read members review about hotels in Budapest.
Last time, I was in Corinthia so I decided to change for a Starwood hotel this time.
I eMailed Le Meridien and got a very nice offer from Mr. ÁDÁM HARANGOZÓ to be upgraded in a Business Suite, or even better, an Executive suite with balcony where I would be allowed to smoke.
The executive wasn’t 100% confirmed as there are only 9 rooms with a balcony.
From that point, it was quite difficult to resist and decided to book it.

Dates of stays:
From October 27th to 31st, 2011

The Exterior:
The building is nice and, at least, fits in the nice looking area which is not the case of many international brand hotels I’ve seen in Budapest so far.
After some research I discovered that the building has a history too.
It’s the Adria Palace, from 1913, owned by an Italian insurance company.
Partially burned down during WWII, it became the police HQ until 1997.
The reconstruction started in 1998 and finally Le Meridien opened in 2000.
Oh, and yes, the square name, Erzsébet, was given in honor of Queen Elisabeth, better knowned as Empress Sissi.

The Area:
It’s probably hard to say which is the best area in BudaPest.
Let’s say that there are tourist sites to see in Buda, but most of them are in Pest and all the shopping areas and action are also in Pest.
Now, narrowing the choice to Pest is what I recommend.
Le Meridien is located on the corner of the best shopping area but also at walking distance from touristic sites and only 10 minutes by public transportation from all others.
On top of that, the Metro is in front of the hotel and can bring you for a single €/$ as far as the end of Andrassy Boulevard, Budapest 5th avenue, featuring the luxury brands shops mainly, and beautiful buildings from 1900, the Opera which is very rich and a must see.
There are also two “trams”, 47 & 49, that will drive you to the opposite side of the city of Pest and cross the Danube to Buda.
Turn the corner from Le Meridien and find shops both luxury and regular, grocery, restaurants, bars, in short, a top location in my humble opinion.

The Interior:
A touch of old fashioned luxury, tasteful and discreet, elegant.
Entering the main lobby, in front of you there is Le Bourbon restaurant located under a beautiful dome.
On the left you go to the front desk and on the right the entrance of the bar.
The lobby is cozy and quiet although not small at all.
When walking in the corridors of the 8th floor, where we were located, same from any other top 5 floor, you have a spectacular view to the top of that dome.
It’s an amazingly beautiful building.

Check in:
We arrived by Taxi and two doormen were waiting that I finished to pay the bill and then opened the doors of the car. They took care of the luggage.
At the front desk I was a bit nervous and kept my fingers crossed about the upgrade I would receive for my platinum status.
The front desk officer on duty immediately told me that an executive suite with balcony was allocated to us, even better than a regular platinum upgrade.
The formalities were fast and professional. The suite wasn’t ready yet but would be in 15 minutes (we landed at 11.30AM). We went for a first walk in the area and when coming back a very pleasant hostess brought us to our suite and explained everything we should know about the services of the hotel and the suite itself.
The luggage was delivered 2 or 3 minutes later.

The room:
Executive suites are often a little disappointing as they are more a “super” Junior Suite with everything in the same room.
At Le Meridien Budapest, it’s a true one bedroom suite.

When opening the front door there is a large hallway with closets and a guest toilet.
Then there is a large living room with two sofas, a table, a working desk, 2 separate confortable chairs, a flat screen TV with the minibar underneath, a coffee/tea set on a table.
The living room opens to the balcony with a stunning view on the Erzsebet Square and the park.

A door opens to the bedroom with a true king size bed in front of which there is a closet with another flat screen TV.
In front of the bed, there is a smaller hallway with closets on both sides leading to the bathroom.

In short, for 2 people, this room is perfect for a 4 nights/5 day stay and makes you feel at home.

The Air Conditioning/Heating in the room:
Nothing to say about this really.
Separate controls for the living room area and the sleeping area.
Working perfectly.

The Bathroom:
It’s not as large as in Le Meridien Warsaw, but large enough to enjoy it.
It features a separate shower (no hand shower only a wall mounted one but very good) and a bath tub.
There is a single sink and a toilet.
There are plenty of amenities, like razor kit, dental kit, sewing kit, cotton buds, demakup cottons and all of them in double.
Once again, there was only one shampoo and one shower gel.
That was fixed right away as I asked to get some more.
A side note about the bathrobes: the bathrobes are quite sexy when worn by a lady. They are short and allow to enjoy the lady’s legs.
But when worn by a taller man, well it looks a bit feminine to say the least!

The Bed:
Probably the best one we ever had so far in a Starwood hotel.
We had the impression that the bed was huge.
A King size bed it is, but probably 2 meters wide.
Also, my better half mentioned that the linens were so soft, and I have to agree here.
Great bed for sure.

The Breakfast:
Having breakfast in Le Bourbon is amazing.
You sit under this wonderful dome and get whatever you can desire.
The buffet is very complete and if you hate those coffees tasting like black water, there is a very nice Illy coffee menu.
Everything we ate during our stay was good and we could change our menu every morning without tasting everything as the choice is very large.

Room Service:
The room service is one the most efficient I experienced.
There must be even better ones in some other hotels, but here, everything was smooth from the initial phone call to the delivery. No bugs, fast, friendly, nothing missing.
The food was great too.
The last night we order a complete dinner with wine and truly enjoyed our relaxing evening in our suite with very tasteful dishes. Top notch.

House Keeping:
I have no complains at all about the housekeeping.
Only a warning as some of you may prefer a housekeeper who is taking care of your personal stuff and is trying to sort everything for you so that when coming back to the room it looks like upon arrival.
I prefer that a housekeeper isn’t trying to do that because I always organize the room myself.
For instance, I do put every hotel brochure and stuff in a drawer and appreciate when they are not put back on the desk, table or in the bedroom.
If I leave something on my desk or on the living room table, it’s on purpose.
Housekeeping in this hotel does what I expect: clean the place, add some amenities, take care of the bed and that’s it.
So, for housekeeping in Le Meridien Budapest: 10/10 but be aware, they won’t organize your personal stuff.

Fitness center/Wellness:
The swimming pool is very nice looking. Not that big but enjoyable.
There is a sauna, a steam batch and a massage/therapy menu too.
The fitness features machines and weights.

The Restaurants and bars:
On our first night, after hours of visits, we stayed at the hotel and decided to go for both Le Bourbon restaurant and the Adria Palace bar.
We enjoyed a very nice evening with great food and a great follow up at the bar with good wine and jazz music.
We even repeated the experience on another evening.

Business center:
Didn’t check it, sorry.

Check out:
Once again, I was given a late check-out which is not only nice but also easy for check out formalities as it’s not a busy time at the front desk.
The bill was detailed but was showing some errors related to the automatic minibar.
A pain if you ask me these minibars for customers who are honest.
It showed that I had cokes, mineral water and a Mars but in fact I had cokes and peanuts.
The corrections were made immediately by the lady on duty and everything was set in 5 minutes maximum.

I really liked:
- The staff. From our arrival till the departure, we were taken care of like old time customers although this was our first stay. This team is in my top 5 list, no doubt about that.
- The atmosphere of the hotel in general. Wherever we were, lobby, restaurant, corridors, bar, it was quiet and elegant.
- The way some team members recognized us without even asking our room number and helping us.
Or when answering simple requests like a second access to the internet for my better half’s laptop by a “Here is a code for your better half Sir. Of course, due to your level of membership, it’s complimentary”. Amazing isn’t it? I was in the hotel for 24 hours and didn’t have to spell my name or give my room number. Wow.

I really disliked:
-The slippers: my god, they are cheap.
Thin as a slice of smoked salmon could have been during WWII.

My conclusion:
We visited the Four Seasons which is amazing because the building is probably the most beautiful one in Budapest, according to our taste.
I saw many other hotels around which are looking truly ugly because they were built during the seventies.
Of course, it is not always the exterior of the hotel which should determine our choices but if it combines a nice building, a nice interior, a perfect location and great staff, what could we ask more?
That is what Le Meridien Budapest has to offer and that is why I will probably book it again for my next stay.

Tips & Tricks:
- I recommend that you cross the Erzebet Square to discover DiVino (Szent István tér 3), a super trendy place which is a wine bar (wines by the glass or bottle) with a super friendly service and some snacks to avoid to become totally tipsy!
- Get yourself a relaxing face & shoulder massage at Gellért Baths. Sure thing is that the baths are beautiful and you should spend some time in there, but don’t miss the nice lady who is offering massages in the main hall of the baths. Look for “Beauty Salon” on the ground floor. There is also a Siam Center, but we didn’t have it.

Thanks for reading one more bad English review!

All the best,
Stephane

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Just returned from 4 wonderful days and nights at the Le Meridien, Budapest. The staff could not have been more accommodating. Concierge took us on a tour of the hotel, then to our room. A few seconds later our luggage arrived. Food and presentation of meals was superb.
Hotel is absolutely beautiful. Across the street from the park and very centrally located.
Cannot say enough good things about this experience. Would absolutely stay there again.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Le Meridien in Budapest situated in the center of Pest. Three to four tram stops from train station. Few steps away from subway, tram and bus. Walking distance to many restaurants.
The service of the hotel is good. However, still had a few trainees. It would be nice to have trainees following a trained staff before he/she acted as their own.
Other great feature for this Le Meridien is free internet in the room. This is a great service other Le meridien does not have. That is the reason I gave 5 stars to this Le meridien, not others. SPG group should consider to have free internet for all their hotels. Free internet service is a must service for traveller without Iped or Iphone and make the corperate hotels become great place to stay for individual and family instead of all business like.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

The hotel has a great location and the rooms were clean and comfortable. We enjoyed using this hotel as a great base to explore the city. We also felt that the staff was very nice.

Our nightly rate did not include breakfast but we elected to eat there every morning - it was expensive but good.

My only complaint really was that the front desk coordinated a flat rate taxi to the airport for 6,500 HUF when the local magazines said that a taxi should cost around 4,500 to 5,700 HUF.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Le Meridien is an outstanding hotel situated in a really convenient part of town. The staff were friendly and spoke perfect english, the restaurant (Michelin Recommended), bar (with jazz band) and spa were top rate. This hotel certainly deserves the 5* rating. Only negative (no fault of the hotel) being the over sized visitors from the USA gracing the bar and restaurant in their elasticated pants, sneakers and loud t-shirts - such an opulent hotel deserves some respect from its visitors.

Room Tip: Had a room on the 8th floor - large room, quiet and no traffic noise
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

It is a surprise to me that almost all front desk staff at Le Meridien speak good English and they are friendly too (something you don't always find in Paris, Rome, or Milan). The concierge especially is knowledgeable and always ready to offer good advice. The bell desk staff are also very polite and attentive. This is what hospitability should be, and I am pleased to find it in a metropolis at Eastern Europe.

Our room had very tall ceiling and was spacious with a separate shower compartment. The hotel is very centrally located with minutes of walk to the Chain Bridge and Andrassy Avenue. Many thanks to all staff at Meridien and please keep up the good work.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

a lovely grand hotel in a great location in Budapest. Really nice lobby, very efficient, helpful reception staff. Spacious room, grand old style, good bathroom. very comfortable stay for 3 nights.
God gym, nice pool, spa pool and sauna, helpful staff.
The main restaurant is excellent, good value, very nice menu and presentation of meals. The lobby bar is very atmospheric with live trio playing cool jazz music each night, good place to chill and mix after a hard days sight seeing! Free wifi and free computer use in business center.
The location is excellent, although not usually a fan of "the hop on hop off' bus (chose the orange bus company not the red one), it's good value and an excellent way to get around the large city, the start/end route is in the square just outside the hotel so you can always use it to return 'home'! The ticket also includes 2 boats trips! take one by day and the other by night, gorgeous to see the city floodlit.
All in all a good hotel, i would definitely stay here again if i return to Budapest.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Le Meridien Budapest? Share your experiences!