“The second bastion of Budapest Opera” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #33 of 230 Attractions in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: Theater hosts a variety of operettas during the winter months.
Budapest, Hungary
17 attraction reviews
“The second bastion of Budapest Opera”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Newly reopened Erkel Theatre is the second bastion of Budapest Opera. Good sound quality, modern technologies, but traditionally high quality opera and ballett performances on the stage here.

Visited December 2013

Wicklow, Ireland
“Fantastic Performance!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

While I was in Budapest I took the opportunity to see Carmen-having missed two runs at home due to the prices. I got an excellent seat for a fraction of the price that it would have cost me at home so was quite excited! The building was lovely and warm, and there were plenty of staff who were very helpful on my arrival. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the performance!! It was excellent!!!! It definitely made up for the shows I had missed before!!! On my way to the theatre, the taxi man informed me that it had recently been refurbished-it isn't anything like the opera house, it's more modern, but the seats were plush, plenty of space in the foyer, and plenty of cloakroom areas to get rid of the heavy winter coats!
The only downside to the night was the fact that there is no proper taxi rank outside the theatre. I was unable to dial out on my phone, so returned to the foyer for assistance. I asked three different members of staff where I could get a taxi; the response from all three was a puzzled look and a suggestion to 'maybe try outside?" My advice is to have your taxi booked in advance if you need one-the stretch of main road I got out onto wasn't overflowing with them and I walked a considerable distance before finding one. I know it isn't the theatre's fault, but it did cast a shadow over my evening. On saying that, don't let it put you off going-I would definitely check out the programme if I was to return to Budapest.

Visited December 2013
Holt, Missouri
16 attraction reviews
“Just Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is the second stage of the Hungarian State Opera. In theory, it was supposed to be a sort of "people's opera" - affordable opera for the masses. In practice, ticket prices here are about the same as they are at the original Magyar Állami Operaház - i.e., very, very cheap, by American or Western European standards. And the performances are also fully comparable to those at the Magyar Állami Operaház - i.e., absolutely world class, fully comparable to anything you're likely to see & hear in San Francisco or Chicago or New York or Vienna.

I attended Verdi's *Rigoletto* on 22nd November, Bartok's *Bluebeard's Castle* on 23rd November, & Bizet's Carmen on 24th November last, and all three performances were just great. I've never seen or heard better.

Well, OK, so neither the exterior nor the interior of the building compares with the Habsburg period splendour of the opera house - but, once the lights go down, and the performance begins, does that really matter?

Visited November 2013
Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
3 attraction reviews
“the greatest applause I've ever heard!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

At the beginning I couldn't believe that it was not reviewed yet, but in fact... here you don't find the tourists. It's a huge opera house for locals! If you blend with the crowd (not difficult as the theatre has 2400 places!!!) you can experience high class performance in the fantastic acoustics and the true applause od 2400 true opera lovers! Never heard something similar in my life. The prices are really reasonable ans the programme - just check on the website opera.hu, it's the second theatre of the same company, last year it was renovated and there are really good pieces od music performes there not "some operettas in winter"!!! For example, I saw Turandot and there are many more fantastic titles. If you ask me - an absolute MUST as for the music as for the atmosphere.

Visited March 2013