“Great If you are looking for a 19th century hotel with 'all exclusive' facilities” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace

You added Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Szechenyi Istvan ter 5-6., Budapest 1051, Hungary (Belváros-Lipótváros)   |
Ranked #1 of 329 Hotels in Budapest
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

The Four seasons Gresham hotel in Budapest is all about paying and if that is your view on service, this hotel can make you very happy. Unfortunately, my story thus has to go about money for a large part.
It all started when I wanted to book the second smallest room for 245 Euri a night. A pop-up appeared saying that I could upgrade to the next in line for an additional charge of 50 Euri. Wow! After checking, this was just the normal price increase between the two rooms. Quite annoying, so I ended up with the cheapest room a 195 Euri a night. When confirming this price appeared to be ex tax. I think I never experienced this before. Really quite silly. So, our two night stay went up from about 400 Euri to 500 Euri.
At the arrival I dropped of our car. This costs us another 50 Euri a night, it turned out when checking out. Not that we had been informed about this, when handing the keys over. Anyway, after our stay this came as no surprise. So, this makes 600 Euri for our two night stay.
I thought I had read that we had a free 30 minutes of WiFi a day. Wrong and in general I try to avoid hotels without free internet. 30 minutes was on the edge, but I must have misread something. I forgot what I should have to pay, so flabbergasted was I when it turned out that there was no free internet.
When we asked for breakfast times, they were given. We did not ask for breakfast prices: so Dutch! Anyway, 250 Euri a night is not enough for a breakfast to be thrown in for free........ Apart from that, the coffee was as bad as it gets, unless you are used to the liquid they are used to call coffee in the US. Anyway, this added up to a 350 Euri a night stay in the cheapest room available.
The point is that I had also taken the room if it was -say - 300 Euri a night with free parking, internet et cetera. Then we probably would have a very positive feeling about the Gresham-experience. Now we hadn't. And it is not only about money. I am prepared to pay a lot if that can make me feel at ease. At the Four seasons Gresham this is not the case, because you either have to stay 'alarmed' because every fart you produce can cost you money or have to decide which takes time and is annoying. To give an example, I just want to start up my computer and do not want to be bothered with calls, coupons and codes. At breakfast I just want to order and/ or go to the bar and don't want to decide between an American breakfast - with espresso or capuccino - or a continental one with regular - which thus turned out to be American.... - coffee.
What else is there to complain about?! The view from our window was - well, what shall I say..... You can imagine that if you have the cheapest room, you have the worst view. From another perspective it is hard to be happy with a look into an ugly office building standing about 15 meters apart if you have paid 250 Euro for a night.
Relatively large part of the 'guests' consisted of - how should I describe them - quite uncivilized persons. Fat, bold, dressed like plumbers in action and - which counts the most - making a lot of noise and / or putting their legs over the arm rests of a chair or sofa. At one time the four Russians (?) sitting round a table in the bar area where all making phone calls at the same moment. When we sat down on a sofa for breakfast, we looked right into a guy sitting - or better laying - next to us, with one leg over one of the arm rest of his sofa and making phone calls continuously. We decided to move to the window, which normally had a perfect view on one of the bridges over the Duna. Not this time. During our entire breakfast we saw a Mercedes S-class, Audi A8 and Lexus LS600 standing between us (next to the hotel entrance) and the bridge with their engines running. The chauffeurs - bald muscle men with dark sunglasses on their heads (it was minus 5 degrees centigrade) - got in and out of the cars, just like the persons they seemed to have to transport. Not something I want to pay for...........
There was a leaflet for a free Wall Street Journal if you would hang it on your door handle. I did, but no paper. Another leaflet would bring you back your shoes polished. They were indeed polished, but I gather that it took them more time to wrap them up in paper and put them in a cushioned basket than to polish them. I am convinced that they have done the polishing with a machine: all places which make you polish your shoes by hand were untouched.
When I had a **** in the toilets next to the reception, there was no brush, meaning that the next one in line - who wasn't there by the way, because the hotel was quite desolate - had to view a nice piece of art on the non-flushed parts of the bowl. I think they also have a 'drainage' problem, because both this toilet and the bath in our room had difficulty with getting rid of the water.
The beds felt very good from the beginning, but during the night it turned out that they delivered not enough support for our backs in the middle. We weigh 65 and 70 kilos.
If this all sounds like nitpicking, you are right. But this is justified to my opinion by a 350 Euro a night price tag of the cheapest room available.
On the plus side, the interior, location and grandeur of this hotel score 9 out of 10 and the same counts for the friendliness of the personnel. To our surprise, all persons involved had far above average knowledge of the wines on the list. Funny! An asset is also the serene atmosphere in the rest of the hotel. The atmosphere is really very calm and relaxed, but - once again - there were only very few rooms occupied (confirmed by the employees).
Hope this helps!

Wieger Fransen, Amsterdam

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

Sublime, perfect, amazing......
Everything was as you would expect, picked up in S class limo from the airport, when we arrived at the hotel everyone from the doorman to the receptionist to the congierge addressed us by name. Impeccable service, Incredible experience, not cheap but hey it's the Four Seasons Gresham Palace - we paid good money and expectted top class service and weren't dissapointed. I would say great value as you get exactly what you pay for. For a special treat, birthday, Anniversary (or if you're lucky enough to be loaded or on expenses) just do it.......

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

If you are after the WOW factor then this is the place for you. The building is amazing, staff are first class and food is terrific.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Budapest.

Ensure you visit the food markets by the Danube at the other end of town.

Shopping is not that different to Aussie prices when you are looking at branded clothing.

The Gellert Spa is a must, take some time out to have a massage while you are there. It may be very different to what you are used to.
Nobody speaks english, so be prepared for an situation. I must say it was quite funny.

Also take a cruise down the Danube to Szendentre. This little town is a great place to shop, beautiful leather, crystal, jewellery and wraps. You get a real feel of what the country is all about.

Take care for now and happy travels.

• Stayed September 2010
Fife, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

If you can afford about £60 a head for a beautiful meal and fantastic service, then this is for you. We had an amazing meal at this hotel right by the Chain Bridge on the Danube. It is highly recommended.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

Just back from staying in the four seasons and we had a great time. stayed with my 2 sister for our birthdays. great welcome when we arrived and was wished a happy birthday. hotel is fab, with excellent staff. Angela on the front desk, peter in concierge, daniel on the door just to name a few. Hotel is located in the centre of budapest, with the christmas markets just a stones throw away, across the road is the chain bridge where you can go up to the castle and grand palace. worth a visit at night to see the views, hop on hop off tours not worth the money. Looking for somewhere nice toeat, would recommend the breakfast in the hotel and also cafe Kor to the left of the bacissla. Realy nice. Just remember that you can smoke in all the bars and restaurants in budapest which is a pity espically when you are used to not having it. overall a nice city to visit, as I say hotel is fab with lovely staff.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

We chose the Four Seasons for a special occasion and were delighted. The hotel itself it a work of art and the quality of all of the fittings is very high. The rooms are not huge but we had a view of the Danube and it was stunning at night when all of the monumments were illuminated. The furnishing in the rooms is classy but minimalist (except for the bathroom) but the bed was supremely comfortable.

Staff were pleasant and professional. We had both breakfast and lunch in the restaurant and the service was impeccable. We were very pleased with the quality of the food and wine which seemed good value for a hotel of this standard. Mini-bar and room service rates were exorbitant however. Didn't use either.

This is certainly the best location in Budapest for visiting both sides of the city. Everything is a short walk. Many of the city's top hotels are clustered together on the river bank but the Four Seasons is the only one with the sense of history which is so much part of the Budapest experience.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Geneva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

The Budapest Four Season occupies a stunning Art Nouveau building on the Pest side of town, with great view of Buda. The rooms are well appointed and kept, but maybe the interior decoration could be a bit warmer. We had originally booked a river view room and side room, but after looking at the hotel layout we moved to room 331, a stunning corner suite which connected directly to the kids' room. This room has a sitting area and a dining table where we had room service breakfast. Overall I found the Hotel excellent. I have had bigger buffets but overall the quality of the food was very good. We had goodies in our room every night for turn-down. The bathroom could have been bigger, given this was a suite, but it was more than adequate.
We had dinner at the restaurant one night and it was good but not overwhelming. Hotel and Restaurant staff were attentive and courteous.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace? Share your experiences!