Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Allami Operahaz)
Andrassy ut 22, Budapest VI, Hungary

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This magnificent new-Renaissance style structure, completed in 1884 and modeled after the Vienna Opera House, is home to both the State Opera and the State Ballet.
Richmond, Virginia
26 attraction reviews
“No tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I badly wanted to take the tour of the opera house- but unfortunately, the whole area was closed off that day because of a big parade. WE were leaving Budapest the next day and could not make it. I have seen pictures of the interior, and they look stunning.

Visited July 2013

Los Angeles
14 attraction reviews
“Beautiul to see”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

It's a nice quick visit if you want to see what a classical opera house looks like. I don't care for opera, but it was good to see this place.

Visited June 2013
18 attraction reviews
“The perfect opera house. Wonderful music, beautiful building and enthusiastic audiences.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

It was on my list to go to the Opera in Budapest. What a fine idea. Such a beautiful spot. My ticket was for the second row in a box, when I walked into the House, I nearly swooned. So lovely, gilding gilding gilding. There are beautiful carved things everywhere. Luckily there was no one sitting in front of me so I hopped into the front row. Great view. The opea was Verdi. The Sicilian Vespers. A rare rather political opera I thought it appropriate for a country so often occupied. The performers were old favorites with the audience and now new favorites with me. I can't wait to return. I did have to laugh when the meant to be helpful written words dropped down...in Hungarian of course

Visited May 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
16 attraction reviews
“Beautiful building and great ballet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We missed the opportunity to do a tour (not enough time), but we did attend the ballet, Snow White and so we were able to enjoy the magnificent interior from the splendour of our very own box at the opera! Highly recommended and yes, when we return to Budapest, as we surely will (it's awesome), we'll do the tour and get the gen on the place!

Visited June 2013
Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
3 attraction reviews
“wonderful building and some great music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I've been 4 times here when visiting the city in the last 2 years and now when I'm living in BP I just can't wait the season to start! Some really good singers here. The building itself is really beautiful and worth to see even if you're not an opera lover. The spectators are mostly tourists and other random people... but try to go to the highest gallery, where particular singers' fans often are for every performance of their favorites! The atmosphere on this gallery is a smell of what you can feel if you go to the other opera theatre of Budapest, Erkel Theatre, where all people are locals, and... but I'll write that in the respective review. Anyway ig you're in Budapest don't miss the Opera House. I'd reccomend especially the Hungarian national historical opera, Bánk Bán, which is usually played around 15th March, the Hungarian National Holiday.

Visited March 2013