“The perfect opera house. Wonderful music, beautiful building and enthusiastic audiences.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Allami Operahaz)

Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Allami Operahaz)
Andrassy ut 22, Budapest VI, Hungary
1-331-2550, 1-332-8197
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Recommended
$61*
and up
Small-Group Budapest History Walking Tour...
Ranked #10 of 364 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This magnificent new-Renaissance style structure, completed in 1884 and modeled after the Vienna Opera House, is home to both the State Opera and the State Ballet.
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

It was on my list to go to the Opera in Budapest. What a fine idea. Such a beautiful spot. My ticket was for the second row in a box, when I walked into the House, I nearly swooned. So lovely, gilding gilding gilding. There are beautiful carved things everywhere. Luckily there was no one sitting in front of me so I hopped into the front row. Great view. The opea was Verdi. The Sicilian Vespers. A rare rather political opera I thought it appropriate for a country so often occupied. The performers were old favorites with the audience and now new favorites with me. I can't wait to return. I did have to laugh when the meant to be helpful written words dropped down...in Hungarian of course

Visited May 2013

Johannesburg, South Africa
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Beautiful building and great ballet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We missed the opportunity to do a tour (not enough time), but we did attend the ballet, Snow White and so we were able to enjoy the magnificent interior from the splendour of our very own box at the opera! Highly recommended and yes, when we return to Budapest, as we surely will (it's awesome), we'll do the tour and get the gen on the place!

Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“wonderful building and some great music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I've been 4 times here when visiting the city in the last 2 years and now when I'm living in BP I just can't wait the season to start! Some really good singers here. The building itself is really beautiful and worth to see even if you're not an opera lover. The spectators are mostly tourists and other random people... but try to go to the highest gallery, where particular singers' fans often are for every performance of their favorites! The atmosphere on this gallery is a smell of what you can feel if you go to the other opera theatre of Budapest, Erkel Theatre, where all people are locals, and... but I'll write that in the respective review. Anyway ig you're in Budapest don't miss the Opera House. I'd reccomend especially the Hungarian national historical opera, Bánk Bán, which is usually played around 15th March, the Hungarian National Holiday.

Visited March 2013
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“euro Holiday June 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

A visit to this opera house was included as part of our river boat cruise with Uniworld. I am not an opera fan but it was a great way to experience the local culture and entertainment scene

1 Thank Aquatamer
Vancouver, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A beautiful building”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Lovely opera house - but the tour was a bit lacking. Too many tours in too many languages at the same time! Difficult to hear at times, and tours were stepping on each other. But - the building is fabulous - helped that I was staying around the corner and could hear the singers practice in the mornings!