“A creepy guy followed us” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Budapest History Museum

Budapest History Museum
Szt. Gyorgy ter 2 | Royal Palace "E" building, Budapest 1014, Hungary (District I / Buda)
+36 1 487 8800
and up
Budapest Card
Ranked #152 of 421 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: Permanent collections at this prestigious museum include the Medieval Royal Palace of the Buda Castle, Budapest In the Middle Ages and Gothic Sculptures from the Royal Palace of Buda.
Sammamish, Washington
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 194 helpful votes
“A creepy guy followed us”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Soon after we entered the museum, we noticed a guy following us. Even when we got into the tiny elevator, he ran to squeeze in with us. So instead of enjoying the museum, we kind of rushed through.

Just as we were leaving, we confronted him and asked him why he was following us. He said he works for the museum, and was tracking which exhibits we focused our attention on. Unbelievable! I should have asked for our money back.

Visited July 2013

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A bit disorganized, but nice collection”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We could not figure out where to go in the museum to track with the audio tape (which would have taken two days to listen to!). Nevertheless, the museum had a good collection and really gave you a feel for how many times this country has been overrun! If you can only choose one museum, opt for the House of Terror on Andrassy instead.

Visited July 2013
Frederiksberg, Denmark
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 178 helpful votes
“Highly informative history of Budapest and Hungary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Really informative museum!
You do not need to buy audio support - they have translated the full story for reading around the museum. Also when you arrive; do not spend time despairing in the ruins of the basement level - spend 10 minutes here and then hurry up on the higher floors: This is really a great museum - just not in the basement where the knowledge is scattered and the translations even scarcer.

Visited June 2013
Belo Horizonte, MG
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“hidden treasury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

It is a very nice museum in my opinion, for a tourist interested in history (in this case, budapest history - this covers the local history since roman empire up to the communist days). This is comparable to the good museums I ever visited, with many rooms/floors and many things with good labels and audioguides to learn about. Located at the famous "budapest palace".

The funny thing (and weird one) is that, neither my tour company's guide nor our budapest local tour guide knew about this museum! I knew about, because I have one of those famous tourism books that I bought in Brazil (my homeland), so me and my wife went alone to this museum.
Otherwise, I would never visit that.

Due to this lack of guide's information about it, I thought I would get there and see something small and deteriorated. But I was glad it is the opposite.

My hint: I went in april-2013. By that time, they accepted neither Euro (cash) nor credit cards in the museum entrance, so be prepared and take some local currency (in cash) with you!

I can not rank it with a grade or something like that, because this depends on your background and expectation. What I can tell you is that the overall experience was very good for us.

Visited April 2013
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Excelent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I just love it! Not boring,really interesting,few floors showing Hungary during the centuries. Love especially the basement.