“avoid this hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #142 of 329 Hotels in Budapest
Haifa, Israel
“avoid this hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for three nights at the end of December with my wife and my 9 year old daughter.
At first there was a misunderstanding regarding my pre paid voucher with an unprofessional and at times even rude receptionist. At one point, he even suggested that I had forged my pre paid voucher that I presented to him.
The voucher problem was resolved by the sales director on the second day of our staying but our holiday has already ruined by the events of the first day.
We stayed at the 4 star wings, but I must say that the wing and the room were not in the 4 star standards.
The carpets in the corridor were dirty, the room was too small and was not cleaned daily, and the bathroom was not in the 4 star standards. The whole filing was of a cheap hotel, something like a 2 star pension.
At departure, the receptionist refused to call a taxi company for the airport that we asked for, (Főtaxi: 2- 222-222) and instead he called a privet taxi, that I suppose cost us much more.
We are visiting Budapest 3-4 times a year for the past 10 years, but we have never been treated with such disrespect and rudeness until know at any hotel that we stayed on.
I strongly recommend everyone to avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: I strongly recommend everyone to avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Bratislava, Slovakia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotel is situated in quiet area not far from the Budapest Keleti p.u. train station. It took me about 20 minutes of walking, which was quite refreshing after long time spent on train. At the arrival to the hotel`s reception I was unpleasantly surprised by the receptionists. They were very busy talking to each other and to consequently arrived postman and did not pay much attention to my colleague and myself. Then we were asked to fill hotel registrations by ourselves and they continued in the chat.
However, the our rooms were nice, clean and comfortable. I had good sleep there.
The breakfast was not very likeable. Too much greasy meat, coffee was horrible. After the breakfast, I was still hungry :-(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Hotel has a good price, food is solid, although I only tried breakfast- However, most os meat is pork which I dont eat.
I have stayed here for two nights.

Hotel does not have swimming pool or fitness area.

There is no internet in rooms, actually there is, but you need to pay. WiFi is accessible in the lobby. Rooms are nice, it was pretty quiet. I had excellent sleep both nights.

Ask for room that looks not on the main street but opposite. Major bulverad Andrassy is within the close walking distance.

BTW, if you need a service such as copying your tickets etc. always ask the guy who works on the reception. They will not charge you. Other persons who work there might. Small advice. It happened to me.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The hotel has two parts, the upgraded rooms that have cards to open the doors, and then another wing with keys to the doors. In the key wing have the standard and eco upgraded rooms.

I booked directly with the hotel wanting to have some rate negotiation flexibility. I noted their stay 3 nights get a fourth night free offer. I was originally staying 6 nights and there was some debate about how this interpretation of the on line offer was going to price out. In the end I stayed four nights and paid Euro 50/night x 3 nights, one night free total Euro 150 for a single superior room.

On night two a group of youth arrived and were placed in the superior wing. The banging of doors kept me awake all night. I went to a smaller room that wasn't above their rooms. With earpugs and double pillows I buffered the noise.

I really like the location of this place because it's away from downtown tourism buzz.

The area is a bit dark and isolated on the weekends but has alot of residential buildings and I felt safe walking from the tram to the hotel (three blocks). Finding a place for supper was a challenge until I figured out the tram and found a great cheap place to eat at Oktogon Bisztro (all you can eat buffet meal 1190 HUF plus a beverage total max 1500 HUF). oktogon bisztró
Teréz krt.23., Budapest, Hungary

The hotel does offer supper and has a set menu offering which I wish I'd tried.

Breakfast was great. There's a special Hungarian dish on the buffet and lots of spicy sausages. Great breads and you can pack yourself a sandwich for lunch.

Great front desk staff and there are identical twins who work as bellboys. I really like the people and place.

Take the shuttle to and from the airport to save money. Also do buy the 3 or 7 day transportation pass and use the metro.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is located in a very attractive, safe part of the city close to the park, Heroes Square and the zoo and has good transport links to the city centre (the underground trains are every 3 minutes). The hotel was built in communist era and is very stark in its decoration but who cares when it offers clean functional accommodation. Price versus value for money cannot be faulted and the breakfast is superb and offers a wide range of cold and hot food. We would stay there again.

Nothumberland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Hotel does the job, although we asked to change rooms as first one just had tiny bath and hand held shower head on taps, our 2nd room on 4th floor was lovely but at an additional cost. We were also not informed about the extra City tax before travelling, but it wasn't expensive. Breakfast is not full English, aimed more at continental guests and unfortunately the smell of food is throughout the hotel all day. Staff are friendly enough but only when prompted. We found the chap who ran bar and restaurant the nicest and he remembered our drinks orders from day one. The location of Hotel is on a quiet street, away from the main centre, which suited us. it took us a day to get the hang of Metro and Trams, but after that, no problem. We bought a transport ticket at the Airport for 72hrs which allows you to go on any Metro, Tram and Bus (although I wld avoid the buses, like sardines in a tin), the only times we had to show our tickets was on the Metro.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room, ask to change it, they were more than happy to change ours.
peterborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Spent 3 days here as part of an Easyjet holiday package and have to say it was excellent. It was very clean, the breakfast was good and the service friendly. The hotel's situation is excellent and if you want to see Budapest, it is in an ideal location for all the different modes of transport available.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Benczur Hotel? Share your experiences!