“Excellent views great rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #19 of 329 Hotels in Budapest
Cockermouth
“Excellent views great rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

Hotel is in a fab location - we were on 9th floor and views of chain bridge and castle were brilliant - breakfasts spectacular with loads of choice - the eggy bread is to die for. Spa and pool are small but fine - better to opt for one of the spa pools in the city. Staff were ok but a bit distant. Concierge services excellent and efficient. Only down side is the street ladies outside on riverside prom - just say no! A bit sleazy for a 5 star. Overall a nice hotel. We were at le meridien in Monaco this summer - this hotel was better!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
miloscerovic, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, October 6, 2009
Dear "Consilio":
Please know that your comment from October 4th has been shared with and also greatly appreciated by our team members.
You mentioned presence of suspicious ladies as a downside to your experience in Budapest. We are fully aware of the situation and are working closely with city authorities to neutralize that problem and keep the ladies away from the hotel. Corso promenade does not, unfortunately , belong to our hotel and although our security teams regularly patrol the area I must fully agree with you that it reflects poorly on our hotel. I look forward to hosting you back in our hotel in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

We were fortunate & had a room facing the Chain Bridge over the Danube. Couldn't ask for more!
The hotel was spotless & the included buffet breakfast was most generous.
Front desk staff were very congenial & helpful.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

I agonised for days trying to chose the right hotel in Budapest as I've always found both the position and contentment (or otherwise) of your hotel can make or break a trip There are four virtually on the Danube, Intercontinental, the Four Seasons, Marriott and the Sofitel and all of these hotels would have rooms looking onto the river, the Intercontinental followed by the Marriott with the best views. Front rooms at the Four Seasons would be ideal if you are prepared to pay upwards of $800 a night. Among the other 5 star hotels, Le Meridien, Kempinski, (both a couple of small blocks back, virutally side by side and well positioned) Corinthia Grand and New York Palace. There is also the Hilton on the opposite side of the river, in Buda.

As we are members of Starwoods (Le Meridien), Marriott, Intercontinental and Hilton, rewards programs these were the initial front runners of our choices however we narrowed down our choice to Intercontinental and New York Palace (because the latter looked so luscious) and finally chose the Intercontinental.

On arrival at Intercontintental, I was disappointed by the lobby (didn't look quite as opulent as their photo on their website) and the room, whilst overlooking the Danube was indeed very small with a tiny bathroom.

However, after a day or so we were absolutely delighted with our choice and by the end of the trip and having visited all hotels above for a drink (with the exception of Corinitha Grand) knew we had picked the best hotel in Budapest.

Four Seasons: +'s glorious refit, beautiful building, great service. We went every pm to their cosy bar for a cigar (husband), good food and wonderful drinks. -'s - not directly on the river and a rather small ground floor hotel area. Would certainly rather visit and enjoy facilities than pay $800 night for the privilege.

Marriott: +'s very pleasantly surprised by the interior, refit is excellent and imagine rooms would be delightful -'s position/view is down the river, further away from main events and the outside of the building is horrendous. (We hired our car from there).

Sofitel: +'s Nice modern/funky lobby area, good impression upon entering, -'s one block back from river, slight run-down exterior, felt like a small property.

Le Meridien: +'s Not a bad position, close to shops, riverfront, nice exterior. -'s small and dated interior, cosy bar where we listed to jazz quartet, but more for over 50's.

Kempinski - +'s looks impressive inside and out & recommended by Amex -'s very quiet and empty, tried to get service and gave up

New York Palace hotel +'s interior looks like website -'s miles from anywhere, seedy area, run down looking, bad service, cigar bar a joke.

Hilton: +'s ?; -'s we walked in and straight out. Looked incredibly run down and sad, would be a blight on the Hilton chain. I would have been hysterical if I'd had to stay there.

Corinithia Grand - did not get there after finding out it was 10 mins by taxi from our hotel - not where you want to be in Budapest unless you have at least 5 + days to spend although clearly it's the choice of many Trip Advisor reviewers.

Intercontinental. Wonderful beds (for an virtual insomniac, I slept like a baby!), wonderful view, great spa (open from 6:00am), terrific breakfast, warm and charming service from everyone(especially concierge), whilst small bathroom, reasonable amenities kit, excellent and immediate shower pressure, fabulous position - walk out front door an over Chain Bridge to all of Pest's attractions or out back door and in heart of Pest's attractions.

Got a great deal with advance purchase, about A$220 a night which is amazing (we got upgraded to river view room because of IntercontinentalPlatinum status) as it has everything one needs in a 5 star hotel. Best of all it grew on us daily and always had a great buzzy atmosphere in the lobby at all times and we were almost sad to leave!

This is a great reflection of an excellent hotel and well done Intercontinental!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear GlobalGal5:
I must say that you are indeed a Global lady! I read your comments about hotels in Singapore and Acapulco and I am not only impressed by your passion for hotels and knowledge that you have but also privileged to realize that even after a thorough check of the entire luxury hotel segment in Budapest, you still felt that you made the right decision for staying in our hotel. Thank you very much for the interesting feedback and some great observations. Also, it was nice to hear that you felt at ease while sleeping in our beds. We will continue to do what we do best - service our guests and make them feel great about visiting our hotel. Please let me know if your future plans include return to Budapest. My email address if milos.cerovic@ihg.com
Yucaipa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

I did lots and lots of research during the months before our trip to Eastern Europe to find just the right hotels for my family and me. We went to Hungary as well as 5 other countries. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor over and over of hotels in the cities in which we were planning to visit. I have NEVER written a review of anything before, but I felt it was really important to let people know of our wonderful experience in Budapest especially due to our stay at the Intercontinental in Budapest. Although there were some not so stellar reviews of this hotel in Budapest, I chose this hotel based on the location and the fact that the hotel was noted for its fabulous view of the Danube. We had an absolutely fabulous experience at this hotel. I like nice hotels when we travel although we still need to be mindful of the price. Everyone in my party (I travelled with my husband, 7 year old daughter, parents and sister and her husband) really enjoyed this hotel. Upon our arrival, housekeeping came to our room immediately and made up the couch as a comfy bed for my daughter and left a teddy bear for her on the pillow. The view from our window was incomparable (you MUST spend the extra money for a view of the Danube), the hotel rooms were pleasant with awesome bay windows (not the largest of rooms, but the view made up for that) and the buffet breakfast was a real delight with every type of food imaginable (we liked it MUCH better than the very highly reviewed buffet at the Istanbul Ritz Carlton where we stayed at the end of our trip) and the location of this hotel was A+. When we checked in we were offered a special (for a reasonable amount of money) that allowed us to have the fabulous buffet breakfast each morning and use of the concierge lounge, which included breakfast in the lounge if so desired, and evening cocktails and hors d'oeuvres - it was a lovely lounge with a fabulous view of the Danube, the Chain Bridge, etc. We take a big trip only every few years, but the experience in Budapest has motivated us to want to return to this hotel in Budapest this coming year.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Dear Dana1966:
Thank you very much for taking the time to post some nice comments about InterContinental Budapest. We feel very proud that you not only selected to stay in our hotel but also decided to share your positive experience from Budapest with other readers of this website upon your return home. Although I must say that we are truly blessed with our location, more travellers are now pointing out that customer service and facilities inside the hotel are actually our true strengths. I am glad that you and your family felt that way as well. I look forward to welcoming you back to Budapest and please do let me know if I could be of any further assistance to you in the future.
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

Excellent location (for sights and shopping), charming rooms and lovely spa. Staff nice and pleasant but only give you information you ask for i.e. no extra e.g. better rates available. Rooms are fabulously sound proof and the beds extremely comfortable.
Only flaw is the hidden charges. I feel it is reasonable to expect that a hotel of this standard and cost, provides free wifi (not at 5euro for 15 mins) etc. I think they should find a way of including it in the package or make it very clear on reservation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
miloscerovic, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, September 16, 2009
Dear GaugeLondon:
We are very appreciative of your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at InterContinental Budapest. We also recognize that there are hotel chains which offer WI-FI internet service free of charge to their guests. As we are constantly seek for solutions to provide the best value for the money for our guests, we will seriously consider your suggestion and look for possibilities to introduce this service in our hotel as well. I will also be happy to answer any further questions or concerns that you may have with regards to our hotel.
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

There are some very good things about this hotel, not least its location right on the Danube near the Chain Bridge, but I'm not as whole-hearted in my praise as most other reviewers.
I got a very good deal (with Airmiles) so I have no particular complaint about value for money, but I would have, had I paid the full quoted price.
The first thing I would expect from a 5-star hotel is to have the door opened and be helped in with luggage, but this didn't happen. The only times later there was anyone at the door, it was to pointlessly revolve the revolving part too fast for comfort (and I'm not elderly or slow on my feet!).
On check-in I was asked if I wanted to pay 25 euro a night extra for a view. When I didn't the receptionist seemed to lose interest, and I ended up with a room at the end of the building that suffered from noisy air-con plant outside.
The room itself was excellent - spacious and super-clean with a very comfortable bed, but it's a long time since I stayed in a hotel of any class that didn't offer free shower gel. It's another bugbear of mine that expensive hotels charge extra for wifi access - 7 euro an hour here.
Breakfast, which was included in my rate, was very good indeed - plentiful, varied choice (although exactly the same every day) and good quality buffet. The waiting staff were fine, although it wasn't always easy to get a coffee refill.
All in all, a reasonable but not amazing experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Dear Vegab0nd53:
First of all, I would like to thank you for your balanced feedback. As much as we like to read only positive comments about the hotel and our customer service, we recognize the importance of honest and constructive feedback like yours. I feel very disappointed to hear that you did not fully experience the five star customer service which InterContinental Budapest prides itself on. Rest assured that we will utilize your example as a training tool to ensure that yours and experience of other guests in our hotel is utmost pleasant in the future. If there is anything that I can do in the meantime to improve your impression of our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email at milos.cerovic@ihg.com . Until then, I remain with my kindest regards.
Perth , West Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

The hotel is situated right on the Danube and our room was on that side ,what a bonus!
The staff was friendly and spoke excellent English. Reception staff greeted us each time.The breakfast, even for the well travelled,was superb. I have never seen so many varieties of bread and different cultures were also catered for. Dinners were good enough, yet reasonably priced, to stay in for ,sometimes. Truely upper class without the great pretentions.

• Stayed June 2009
miloscerovic, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, September 14, 2009
Dear Omacarla:
On behalf of the entire team at InterContinental Budapest, I would like to thank you for complimenting the quality of service and products in our establishment and recommending our hotel to other travellers. We will continue to work hard on providing personal service and "In the know" experience to all our guests.

Been to InterContinental Budapest? Share your experiences!