“Lovely hotel in Budapest” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #19 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
London
“Lovely hotel in Budapest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

My flight was cancelled and was arranged to stay at the Intercontinental Budapest for an extra day.
At the front desk I was given a Danube view room and was quite impressed with the guest room and amenities. Having just stayed at another major chain hotel for the past few days on the castle hill (the one adjacent fisherman's bastion), I have to say the Intercontinental has ticked the boxes in terms of guest services, location and comfort. Every member of staff I met was friendly and courteous - and this has really won my vote.
I enjoyed the restaurant - they even offered japanese breakfast as part of the buffet - nice touch. I had a light lunch at the lobby bar before heading back to the airport. It was really nice to enjoy the view from there (see photos) and the staff truly world-class. I also bought a christmassy gift - they had a ginger bread house in the lobby stocked with lovely things to tempt you with some last-minute christmas shopping - and not expensive at all.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Kelobie,
thank you very much for taking the time placing your review. I am delighted that you could pick our hotel for an extra day in Budapest and that you were satisfied with our guest services, location and comfort. I am especially proud that you found the staff friendly, courteous and meaning to win your vote. I like to read that the breakfast and the lobby bar experiences you found world-class. It makes me feel cheerful that you took advantage of our lovely gingerbread house and its Christmas delights.
Looking forward to welcome you back in InterContinental Budapest in the New Year, too.
Yours sincerely,
Claus Geisselmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Very comfortable and welcoming hotel in the best location in Budapest. Book a river view room to make the most of the panoramic vista over the Danube and bridges to the impressive buildings on the Buda side of the city. The very comfortable lounge bar area also overlooks the views and is a great place to sit for lunch or just a drink and a chat while being looked after by the friendly and attentive staff.
An easy 5 minutes walk will take you to many shops and good restaurants as well as seasonally the square hosting the main Christmas market. The parliament buildings and St Stephens basilica are also a short (10 minute) walk away.
The number 2 tram running every few minutes stops right outside the front of the hotel and about £13 buys you a 72 hour ticket for the trams, buses and metro.
Stay here and you won't be disappointed.
We couldn't fault this hotel, we would have preferred a slightly larger bathroom but it wouldn't stop us staying here again when in Budapest.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear jasperparklodge,
thank you very much for taking your time placing your comment. I very much like the title "perfect luxury location in Budapest". I am very happy that you found our hotel very comfortable and welcoming. I am delighted that while being looked after our friendly and attentive staff you could enjoy the view and a drink with a chat. I am glad that you found it easy to reach main attractions close by including the Christmas market as well.
I am very much looking forward to a warm welcome on your next stay.
Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for a number of years whenever I have a layover in Budapest. You cannot fault the location, right on the banks of the Danube, adjacent to the Chain Bridge. As other reviewers have said, make sure you have a river view room - it is especially breathtaking by night. If you arrive on a late flight, be aware that the bar in the hotel closes pretty promptly at - I think - midnight, but there are plenty of (more reasonably priced) options nearby. It your budget runs to it, I can heartily recommend adding Club Lounge access to your room rate. In many hotels, this is rarely worth doing, but this is the exception that proves the rule. Again, beautiful views of the Danube greet you as you partake in the excellent breakfast served until 1030 - it really sets you up for a day of exploring the city. Savoury & sweet snacks, plus coffee & juices, are served throughout the day but it's the evening reception that makes it so worthwhile. The canapés are of a very good quality and reflect the local cuisine - and are also really plentiful. Likewise, they showcase Hungarian wines - really rather good - including a delightful sparkling option. Oh, and the internet in the lounge is super-fast compared to the regular option in the hotel, together with four iMacs for guest use. Wow...sounds like I work for IHG, but can assure you I don't! My reason for reviewing is that a new role means I shall no longer visit Budapest with work and this is quite simply my favourite hotel of all the ones in Europe in which I have stayed. I will be back for pleasure though!

Room Tip: A river view is a must!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear rhys_trip,
thank you for sharing your opinion. I am very much pleased that this is not the first time for you choosing InterContinental Budapest. Thank you for recommending our rooms with that unique breathtaking river view. I really like your thorough writing about your Club Lounge experiences which speaks up to itself. I very much hope and do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future on your next leisure trip.
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

we loved staying at the interconti hotel. the staff was super nice & helpful, each request was handeled with a smile. The breakfast (which was included in the total price) is excellent, with lots of fresh fruits, good cafe (even a latte...) and more.
The location is the best: close to every spot by a walking distance.
We enjoyed the lovely view from the lobby and even Jazz shows that made great atmosphere.
We will be back :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DrRoth,
thank you for placing your review. I am glad that you very much liked your overall experience in our property. It makes me feel very proud that you mark the staff super nice and helpful and especially that each and every request proved to be handled with a smile. I am happy that you found the breakfast and the location excellent and even more you took advantage and enjoyed our cozy and lively jazz evening performance.
All the best,
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had a room with a magnificent view of the Danube. Do pay extra for that. The king-sized bed was a huge treat in Europe as was the comfy sofa, large desk, and cbs. Breakfast very good but massively expensive, however, we got it at an excellent price along with a big discount on the room by paying in advance. The location is very good. The tram that runs up the Danube is right outside the door. Closest metro 3 blocks away. Market Hall five minutes away by tram. Main xmas market 10 minute walk. BUT the wifi was off more than on which was very annoying. I could only get on it at 3 and 5 in the morning! This does not fly in this day and age. During the day I was able to use someone else's wifi , but the place apparently closed in the evening. Otherwise, great place to stay.

Room Tip: Pay for the view and pay 2 weeks in advance for steeply reduced room and breakfast costs.0
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear yearbook1,
thank you for placing your review. I am glad to see that you draw attention to nearby attractions such as the market hall and the Christmas market. I regret to read that the wifi was not continuously available on your computer but I am happy that you found the view magnificent and that you recommend our hotel as a great place to stay.
Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Four of us stayed 3 nights , What a super hotel, can not find one word wrong. Food delicious, staff couldn't have been mor helpful at all times. Views of Buda and the Danube in the evening illuminations from the hotel are an added bonus.
jdm.rowthorne@btinternet.com

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear RedbrickJ,
I am happy that you enjoyed delicious food and recognized our staff as being most helpful. I am really becoming delighted when you write we are a super hotel and everything was satisfactory for you including the evening view to the illuminated city - as the cherry on the pie.
Looking forward to welcoming you again.
zürich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Centrally located close to all attractions in the city center. My room was very spacious. The lobby and other areas were also very nice. Great for couples and people who want to stay close to the center.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear aleahx,
thank you for placing your review. I am glad to read that noted our hotel being close to several nearby attractions. I am delighted to read that you found your room spacious and the lobby nice. I appreciate drawing the attention to our hotel for couples and for those looking for a lively downtown location with a relaxing atmosphere inside. Looking forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the next year.
Claus Geisselmann

Been to InterContinental Budapest? Share your experiences!